EuroPython Recap

A few weeks ago I said I would be holding a training session at EuroPython about Blender, Python and Video Editing. It went quite well, the participants were very motivated. However, they were mostly completely new to Blender, and we didn’t get much past getting to know the user interface.

It would be nice to establish Blender as a regular conference topic in Python conferences. Blender is deeply tied to Python, but the two communities are, in my perception at least, pretty much divided. Which shouldn’t be the case, in my opinion.

Blender has a lot of uses beyond 3D animation: Scientific visualization/image processing, 3D Printing, game asset creation, Video Editing and probably others. These are hot topics in the Python community.

The Python community on the other hand has solved a lot of the problems which Blender is struggling with. The biggest one is numerical computation, where the Numpy/PyData folks are light-years ahead of what Blender is doing. Cython and Numba, maybe even some of the GPU stuff, would also be great assets to Blender. Also there are better packaging options available now, which would make distributing advanced plugins with binary dependencies a lot easier.

Also, here is my Video Collage. Shot with a relatively cheap DSLR, enhanced in Blender. Yes, the quality is a bit horrible for Full HD, but still, I like it :wink:

Problem as I understand it is that there is no official Fortran compiler for Win 64. Hence Fortran-based libraries such as numpy/scipy cannot be officially supported on Windows. Personally I have solved this by downloading the Win32 versions of Blender and WinPython, even though I am on Win64 machines.

I don’t understand that. Anaconda comes with all sorts of packages like numpy and scipy and works very well on Windows 64…