Edson ED-3

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so I should introduce myself a little bit.

At first I must say my english is not perfect, so I hope you forgive me some mistakes.

My name is Eduard Civan, and I am 21 years old boy from Slovakia.

I havent any job yet, therefore I work every day on myself, to become very good.

I using Blender almost 4 years, and I want show you my personal work, for my future portfolio.

It is a tiltrotor helicopter inspired by Samson SA-2 (Avatar), but only base shapes, everything is pretty much my own design.

Some info about helicopter:

All model (without subdivision) have 3 500 000 polygons.

For now it tooks me 10 months of almost everyday work.

Very precisely modeled.

It will be animation ready, fully rigged.

It will have very detailed exterior and interior.

It will have 4k/8k textures and advanced materials.

Modeled entirely in Blender.

I hope you like it, but I remind it is still work in progress.

Attachments

6 Likes

Great details on your model so far. Great work.That extra patience has really paid off.Good luck on your shading and lighting and the rest of the details.

Thank you Time Keeper, and some more renders from my collection.

Attachments

First, welcome to BA. Nice work on the model, just a few things that I’ve learned throughout my WIP, just because a model is going to be highly detailed you don’t need that many vertex/faces/polys to start with you can do the same with a much more simpler base mesh and then apply the subsurf modifier also being symmetrical take advantage of the mirror modifier as well.
Something to think off, if you mention highly detailed interior as well and you already have 3.5 million polys with the inside it would become double that maybe more and some PC’s will struggle with that many polys, also this model will be in some sort of environment so add some more polys there as well and you’ll end up with something that will take ages to render and almost impossible to render unless is in a professional setup.
Anyways great model, will like to see some wireframe renders…and keep on the good work!

tommy1441 - Thank you, helicopter on that renders already have subdivision, poly count is something about 35 million polys. It handle very good.

Sure, here is some wireframes. That first one is just quick made openGL render without subdivision.

Attachments

2 Likes

I think you could have made the model - with exactly the same level of detail and several orders of magnitude fewer polys. If you are going to work in this sphere, you will have to work very efficiently to survive, I am retired so I have plenty of time. It’s tough out there to make a living. The model detail is exquisite, but you need to think about the poly count. For example, your sheet of tread plate can be done with a simple 8 vertex block (squashed cube) and an Image Texture used to get both the finish and the 3D “bump” effect using the image as a Bump Map as well as a colour source. I thought I would tell you this now before you spend ages modelling complex surface textures that can easily be achieved with a simple Image based Material.

Cheers, Clock.

PS. Listen to Tommy - he is one of our airplane experts, check out his F16 in this WIP section.

I forgot to add - Welcome to BA and I love the accurate mechanical detail of your model.

Don’t get me wrong here, 35 million polys is quite a lot for a model on it’s own and yes it might handle well on your computer but then again if someone that’s going to purchase the model might not have a super computer at their disposal then IT WILL become an issue. Also just imagine a shot with 5 of those flying around…it would be 35million polys times 5 equal 175 million polys just on the helicopters.

Also, ask yourself this…do I really need to add this bit if it’s going to be on screen only for a few frames or is going to be barely visible…I suggest freeze frame a few scenes in Avatar or any other film and check to see how much detail the really is and if you actually noticed it before? Another example of this is why model the engine of a car if you are never going to see inside it? is it you pushing yourself as a modeller?

I am a sucker for detailed modelling but I have had to learn to compromise on it.

Oh Clock I’m blushing here, I’m not an expert…still learning each day, that’s part of the journey…Anyways thanks for the complement.

I will not argue about polycount with all of you, because like I said my english is not perfect. I’ll write just this, yes I know it have much polygons, but I created It mostly for myself. And I want high polycount and details, also it is good training for me. Just because it is highpoly, that doesnt mean I dont know how to create lowpoly or midpoly assets. For example I will create all environment inspired by Avatar movie, and that will be midpoly. Yes I want work in studios and industry. But I think polycount like this is just standard in AAA movies. Hope you understand, and I really dont mean that in bad way.

Well 10 months is way longer than I can stay focused on one project, but the model you’ve made is splendid in its details. I can’t wait to see the full vehicle with all its materials!

Impressive work ! Last screenshots are part of the same model ? Engine ?

@Eduard C nobody is arguing with you about the poly counts as such, you can use as many as you want is just that you have to be aware how it could affect a project’s rendering times. If we as a community make a comment or critique on your model is not to say anything negative or bad about it is just to help you in the path for greatness.
FYI I want to work in a AAA studio as well and I believe that most of us here at BA want the same thing one way or another, but before you can run is best to walk and understand the principles of how things work, is great that you have high goals in life.
Now here’s a reality check, are you planning in becoming a modeller, a rigger, a texturer or everything as one? I tell you this because when I decided to become a commercial photographer 30 years ago it took me at least 3 years to understand that one has strengths and weakness in whatever industry/career one chooses and you have to deal with it the best way possible, I say this in a good and friendly manner…please don’t take it the wrong way.
And to finish off my comments just because you have been using Blender for 4 years as you mention doesn’t mean that you are ready, I’ve been using it for 3 and of those 3 years 2 have been learning and perfecting my F16WIP.
NOTE: Just because I have these opinions about this doesn’t mean that I don’t like your work, as a matter of fact I really like it and I enjoy it very much…so keep on at it, you have talent.

Well, ok. I appreciate your help Tommy, and thanks to everyone. Im really happy you like it so far.

Hadriscus - Yes, everything here is part of the same model, and yes it is rotor.

And some more WIP renders, suspension and interior.

Attachments

1 Like

Little update, future rockets.

Attachments

Super nice !

Thank you very much Hadriscus. :slight_smile:

And few older renders.

Opened fuel tank, turboshaft engine with warm exhaust, and old side light (new one looks better) witn many rivets in background. Every single rivet is manually placed and rotated in right direction, it took me three weeks, but it was worthy (there is something about 600 rivets, just on windows). Of course I used mirror, but still.

Attachments

1 Like

Wow impressive! Looking forward to seeing more!

Wow, it’s incredible! I really liked the little details. Very good, good luck with the project

***Work in progress FloatBall

Thank you guys, and another fresh update. I dont work on weekend, so more updates will come next week.

Attachments

Maaaan stop playing around with my OCD with details!!! LOL

Don’t need to add much to what already it has been said, keep on the great job.