Generated Rigify/pitchipoy rig does not control armature bones...

Hi there,

hopefully this is something silly I’m missing out, but I’ve generated a pitchipoy armature, and then from that pressed the generate rig button, which gives me a rig. But although I can control the parts of the rig, and they all move as I’d expect, they don’t control the armature.

Any ideas?

Blender 2.75 (not 2.75a)

No Images or sample blend file showing the problem!!!

What do you think we are - mind readers? Seriously we will need much more info than this to make even an educated guess.

Cheers, Clock.

Rigify generates the rig, but does not put any weights onto your mesh’s vertices. You’ll have to do it separately. One thing: I know this is how it works with Rigify, I’m guessing it’s a similar process for Pitchipoy’s version

Select your mesh, then select the rig (in that order). In object mode, ctrl+P and choose Set Parent To Armature Deform with Automatic Weights. Now try moving the rig and see if it deforms properly. In the very likely chance that it’s not good enough, keep going.

Select your rig, go to the rig button in the properties panel (looks like a person). In the layers button there, shift+click the third to last bone layer. You’ll notice a bunch of bones will show up, these are the deformation bones, the ones the mesh vertices are weighted to. Go to Pose Mode, then click on the mesh and go to Weight Paint, select any (green) deformation bone that’s not weighted properly and weight it as you normally would, just take care to only weight deformation bones, not any of the other bones that serve as widgets.

Also, a heads up, 2.75 has the new Corrective Smooth modifier, which is wonderful for armatures, don’t forget to try it out.

Well, ordinarily, yes, but in this case I’ve literally done two steps from a blank blend file - make armature, create rig.

I think what was confusing me is that this generates a new armature, which initially is hidden. I was moving the rig controls and expecting my original armature to follow it.

1 Like