WARNING! Do NOT upgrade to Windows 10!

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10 today after reading Microsoft’s statement that I could go back if something went wrong - and after making a Restore point, just to be sure.

Something did go wrong: All my 3dconnexion settings and functionality were trashed, contrary to Microsoft’s message that my software and setup were compatible with Win 10.

So I went back to 8.1 in order to make notes of the correct 3dconnexion details and then repeat the update. But here’s the kicker:

I could not return to my previous 8.1 settings - again contrary to Microsoft’s statement.

My restore point and old settings were wiped out - settings that it took months to perfect.

1 Like

You must have done something wrong.

When you install Windows 10, you do not have to create a restore point. Your 8.1 set up/files are saved in the windows.old folder automatically until you clean them out with disk cleanup --> system file clean up or if you delete the windows.old folder itself. If you create a restore point when you do not need one, that could potentially mess with its auto fallback/restore point.

Windows 10 is fine and the upgrade process is well thought out. So you probably just goofed up somewhere. Sucks, but it happens.

This is why I tell people to pop the few dollars, Buy a new drive and image copy your drive when you upgrade your OS, it removes so so many of these issues.
Right now that hundred bucks seems like such a small price don’t it. Hell you can get an alright internal for less then half of that if you do some shopping.

Huh? I did nothing of the kind - my 3Dconnexion settings were wiped out, and there’s no way to restore them.

Compare to Mac, btw: I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday - not one glitch or lost setting; everything worked as expected.

As for Windows 10 in general: Do yourself a favor and google “Windows 10” + “freeze”. I wish I’d done that…

You’re completely right.

The irony is that I went all the way yesterday when I upgraded my MacPro to 10.10 - i.e. I used SuperDuper to make a backup of my start disk just in case - but everything went just smooth. So I was like, ‘OK, no need for paranoia, why don’t I upgrade my pc as well’…

What I don’t understand is why people upgrade at all? By now everyone should know Win10 has problems, it either works quite ok or then doesn’t work or some program doesn’t work or something else happens. Maybe it’s that people actually don’t have any important projects so they can risk it and try the update. If your programs work in Win7 or 8, there is no need to upgrade to Win10, at least not yet. Just wait and see if Microsoft can fix their shit to acceptable level.

When you roll back the windows 10 to a previous operating system everything goes back to the way it was immediately prior to the upgrade.

I rolled back on one computer with no problems. It is true that the restore points get wiped out but that is not how you roll back the install.

The roll back can be found by clicking the notifications icon on the lower right, selecting the all settings option, then select backup. There is an option to restore the previous operating system there.

Is that how you did it or did you try another method?

Well, I use a lot of Adobe apps too, and pretty soon it won’t be possible to use the new versions anymore with 8.1. But you’re right, Win 10 just isn’t ready yet.

That is good advice, even if you don’t update. Backups, you must have them.

No, it does not - and that’s what really shocked me: My old settings were gone when I rolled back to 8.1 (using the method you describe).

People that say windows 10 is fine, obviously have not looked at any of the privacy concerns in any depth and are being ignorant of them. Windows 10 as hard as it may be to believe is dangerous spyware.

I think what Microsoft is doing here, is beta testing their software on the masses, with hollow assurances that all will run smoothly. I have avoided installing it, and have no plans of ‘upgrading’ any time soon.

All my 3dconnexion settings and functionality were trashed, contrary to Microsoft’s message that my software and setup were compatible with Win 10.
3Dconnexion are the ones that actually say whether your software and device is compatible with Windows 10 http://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/index.php?id=351&redirect2=www.3dconnexion.co.uk
Have you tried installing the latest drivers http://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/service/drivers.html

Or it works just fine.

Innovation don’t always mean to be perfect.I’m anti-innovative I could stay even with Windows XP and Windows 7 forever.

actually it’s just you that’s having these problems

and thanks for reminding me that 3D connexion space mouse exists.

Which those versions in themselves innovated on Win95/98 which innovated on Windows 3.1 which innovated on MS-DOS. Unless you decided to go back to MS-DOS (which was recently open-sourced by the way), the statement doesn’t entirely hold up.

What I don’t understand is why people upgrade at all? By now everyone should know Win10 has problems, it either works quite ok or then doesn’t work or some program doesn’t work or something else happens.

Luckily, you have a year to upgrade if you want to do it for free. Microsoft is slated to do two massive updates in the next year and even now are fixing issues and adding features on a regular basis. I’m already hearing that it’s a bit better than it was at launch.

" Some of the ape descendants ,even the ones with the digital watches ,that thought that even leaving the trees was a very bad idea "

I left Microsoft in the dust in 2005

OpenSUSE and ScientificLinux are my OS’s of choice

Beginning 29 July MS made Win10 available to those using WinOS back to Windows 7. So you have 10 more months for MS to work out any kinks. Let other people install Win10 first and see how it goes for them. Keep a close watch on feedback over the next 9 months. That’s the only way to make an informed decision.

That’s not a valid reason to stick with windows 7 or 8. They rolled the same data collection into 7 and 8.

I would like to swap to linux, and my stock harddrive is slow, 5400 cycle

my alienware alpha has usb 3.0 I think, it would seem like a 256 gig flash drive with my operating system on it would run alot faster right? SSD?

it says 10x, faster than usb 2.0 , 485 mb per second…

I can always test linux on the flash drive, and if I don’t like it, boot off 5he old internal hdd right?