New character designs

After the recent BGMC I have been trying to bolster my character design. I plan on using them for a video game but currently they are very WIP. I was wondering if there was anything I need to change or fix to improve the design even more

I hope they look better, I welcome any suggestions. (Plus I hope this thread is in the right spot)

Thanks for any views and comments,
Fredstash

P.s I have another design I may or may not post it sometime soon.

I suggest to ask at the modelling forum. There are much more modelers than here.

Here are my thoughts:

The upper body looks to much geometric especially with the vertical middle stripe. This impression gets stronger due to the strong vertical edges. I think the model would benefit from more organic shapes (no flat rings).

The legs calf is not high enough which makes the hamstring looking wired.

The thumbs look strange too - like cut fingers when looking from the outside. I think it should be more separated from the other fingers.

The shoes look as they are covered in plastic. I guess this is due to the smooth shading towards the sole. A sharp edge could help here.

We all started somewhere, I would suggest you try to sculpt the characters in blender instead of modeling them and then you might want to look up on anatomy. Buy anatomy books maybe.

I don’t see an ankle. The butt should stick out more. Also…he doesn’t have a head!

Also…he doesn’t have a head!

Oh, I completely missed that, that explained why it looked so wrong.

Kidding aside, I did try fixing stuff (and don’t pay attention to the head- it is just something I threw together)

I made the shoes not look like plastic (at least I hope)

and remodeled the hand a little more- I don’t have much time due to school, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew their suggestions are being used.

Thanks for all the help (Don’t worry if I haven’t done what you have suggested, I will get to it as soon as I can)

Fredstash

P.s. when I have a little time I will post this on the modeling thread.

Attachments

Knowledge of anatomy is key to character modeling. For very lowpoly figures are important proportions if you’re doing a realistic figure
Get your modeling clay and try to model the figure with the anatomy…so you learn best where those muscles , start with simple shapes with the correct proportions and gradually add details then you can take a picture from all angles and give a background for modeling:rolleyes:…or drawing.

Attachments

I hope its looking better- I have been trying to follow all of your advice

I think that it look quite a bit better, I’m sorry that I am ignoring the advice to anatomy and clay- this is the closet I feel I have got to a decent character and I want to get as far as I can.

Thanks for all of the support

Fredstash

No he’s not supposed to be buff I will rework that really quickly.

Edit: I think he is less strong now (well at least in looks, animated characters can do anything)

Thanks for the help- I just miss things sometimes.

I think you should go look up some body or facial meshes from video games on google images and study those. Compare it to your character’s mesh and see what you can do to make it better. You could even check out Make Human’s models in blender and have your model side by side. Hell, you might even want to use their models, then you could focus on implementing other things in your game.

When making a mesh like this you should also take into account what this character will be doing in the game. For example, will he be talking a lot, or will he be the equivalent of an extra that does not interact much with the player? If he’s going to be opening his mouth to talk you’re going to have to focus on the topology of the mouth so that you don’t get weird texture stretching when using shape keys.