Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally Posted by Krice View Post
    It's better not to add all useful features at once, because then donations will stop. Think about it. Open source projects need donations and you get them easier if there is a promise or hint about new cool features. This makes people donate. If Blender is some day ready (probably never will) then there will be much less donations.
    Before we veer into conspiracy theories, it does need to be noted that a rather decent chunk of Blender's workflow and tools will likely be overhauled during the 2.8x series (if not replaced completely).

The constraints part of this project for instance, how do we know that code won't just be replaced outright in the event that 2.8 will move them to a node-based system like what's already being done in a development branch with modifiers? 2.8 will definitively replace a lot of existing code because it's supposed to be the series that allows a breakage of backward compatibility as well as forward compatibility.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    2.8 will definitively replace a lot of existing code because it's supposed to be the series that allows a breakage of backward compatibility as well as forward compatibility.
    Well, it doesn't really matter what they are planning. It's always planning for something new, you know. You get the idea? New stuff, new donations.

Well, it doesn't really matter what they are planning. It's always planning for something new, you know. You get the idea? New stuff, new donations.
    Only the 2.8x stuff has been in the planning stages since the first 2.7x releases started rolling out (and initial steps towards making them happen are already in progress).

I don't think it's some random thing they drew out of a hat to get people to donate (I also recall the fact that it took the 2.5x overhaul project a year or two to go from conception to serious development, and Blender is now a much better app. because of it).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

I do not think at all that changes are done to get money from donations, specially if we consider that bf is a non profit org.

About changes on blender master that will affect forks, it's of course an important thing to be considered, but if not developed never will be as heads maybe will not consider it a priority.

I was ironic..

Originally Posted by mauge View Post
    specially if we consider that bf is a non profit org.
    I don't even know what that means. They get money, right? What is the "non" profit in that?

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    (I also recall the fact that it took the 2.5x overhaul project a year or two to go from conception to serious development, and Blender is now a much better app. because of it).
    Or is it? I think nodes were kind of strange decision, but I guess it was needed, because they couldn't improve the previous way to handle materials. There was no material library which is a basic feature in all 3D apps. Now it's even worse, because it's harder to create materials with nodes even though they are more flexible.

Of course .........Did you tried the development we are working on ?
    Ive been trying to build but Mechanical_Blender crashes immediately after starting rendering in Cycles (Shift+Z, F12, button etc.);
    As per Sketchup: ease and productivity of this soft. is IMHO unbeatable, per my oppinion as an architect and other colleagues as well.
    In short: plethora of EFFECTIVE potential with intuitive and SIMPLE ui. Sketchup Make is free for non-commercial use.
    bluecd

I don't even know what that means. They get money, right? What is the "non" profit in that?
    www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+nonprofit

Moderation

Folks, this is not the place to discuss your own personal feelings about Blender's development model. Do so in a different thread.

Originally Posted by bluecd View Post
    Ive been trying to build but Mechanical_Blender crashes immediately after starting rendering in Cycles (Shift+Z, F12, button etc.);
    Should be solved on 89cdfa450ae47c8e465f0adf417c8a458633f13c

Originally Posted by bluecd View Post
    As per Sketchup: ease and productivity of this soft. is IMHO unbeatable, per my oppinion as an architect and other colleagues as well.
    I think blender could be placed in a similar level although we are not in a discussion of which is best.

Should be solved on 89cdfa450ae47c8e465f0adf417c8a458633f13c
    I think blender could be placed in a similar level although we are not in a discussion of which is best.
    Just tried to make a build which succeeded but Blender quits/crashes unexpectedly after ca. 20 secs-
    -UPDATE: Iam building with countinuously updated Win64 Blender and lib sources, maybe it crashes because Mechanical_Blender stays on 2.77 stage of the code /not on later dev stages/ ?
    Re: Oh No ! I am far from judging whatsoever ))
    Ihad been kicked so many times from Blender's devs for aspiring to push Blender into CAD that would never happen that I got enough this discussion for some time LOL.
    But now seems good atmosphere to refresh that subject:
    Therefore I presented two approaches
    1. typical CAD: ie. snap constraints (ya know: endpoint, intersection, midpoint, etc etc...)
    and
    2. Sketchup-like which is-IMHO-closer to Blender workflow, faster, more efficient yet quite satisfactory for 3D modelling, even CAD branch.
    Just say what would you like to clear/discuss first-I am ready to go. )
    Last edited by bluecd; 04-Apr-16 at 05:22.
    bluecd

I do not have any crash after some time of use, so any report with a little more info (better in github, for eg) will be good

We merge back blender master once a week because we of course do not want to run outdated.

After developing dimensions (we are currently working on angle dimensions) we will focus on geometry. then reference to it will be possible

We also plan to add mesh constraints, eg, make vertices to be always in a same plane.

I do not have any crash after some time of use, so

be always in a same plane.
    Dont know why but it crashes to me.;

Re: Mech.Blend: how about polar/rotation tracking, guidelines/helplines ?
    bluecd

I am pretty new to build blender from source and I hope someone can help me. I followed the tutorial on wiki.blender.org for Windows but now i stuck at enabling the flag WITH_MECHANICAL. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Originally Posted by maegmaeg View Post
    I am pretty new to build blender from source and I hope someone can help me. I followed the tutorial on wiki.blender.org for Windows but now i stuck at enabling the flag WITH_MECHANICAL. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    I'm not a Windows user, but you should use the "manual Cmake Setup", before generate you can enable the flag there. Maybe you get a window similar to this one

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for your advice. I was digging deeper and inspected the CMakeLists and there is WITH_MECHANICAL set to ON. So I build it with make and it seems to work...

Okay I used CMAKE and generated build files. What di I do next? There is no make file...

Originally Posted by Richard Marklew View Post
    he asked where he could find the build right? the link you provided are the source, not the build. You have to build it your self

On linux, just go on build folder and run make , it should be similar on windows ? If python files are missing you should run make install or better link the release folder on source in [build_folder]/bin/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast