Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Low-Poly Island Animation

LATEST WORK-IN-PROGRESS RENDER: April 7th 2016

================================================== ============

After wrapping up my Werner Herzog project, I decided it was time to try something completely different and start a project that has less emphasis on modeling and much more on rigging and animation - two workflow things that I need to learn so much about.

I've come up with the idea of creating a sort of turntable animation of a tropical low-poly island with some fantasy elements. The plan is to populate this with all kinds of small animations, so there's a whole bunch of cool things to see as the diorama turns from day to night.

I've started blocking in the main components and started some basic animations and look development. Here's what I have so far:

This is a blocking in of most of the elements, with some final models like trees starting to be introduced. Also looking to get a look and feel going with some gentle glaring.

Here's a potential look development using post to add in some more visual texture:

And here's an initial night look:

I'll use this thread as place to keep adding updates. I want and look forward to your feedback - the Blender Artists community has been so fantastic at helping me improve in the past. So here goes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocking-in.jpg 
Views:	1278 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	410681  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	look-dev.jpg 
Views:	1206 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	410682  

Name:	blocking-in-night.jpg 
Views:	1164 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	410683  

Last edited by paulchambers3D; 07-Apr-16 at 09:00.

Here's a down-and-dirty Open GL viewport render so you can see the overall turntable idea with the day and night cycle.

Some basic animations are in place, partial at best.

Mostly this is about blocking in geometry:

(Screen shot from the video - link below)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.15.27 AM.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	783.0 KB 
ID:	410842

https://youtu.be/j_xvxOS4A5U
    Last edited by paulchambers3D; 19-Nov-15 at 13:17.

Realized that the pure 360 turntable was - quite frankly - boring, so I've re-imagined it to climb and fall and focus on different framing. This has also given me an opportunity to dive under the water where I've blocked in a ship-wreck but will eventually add all sorts of additional animated goodies.

Also had a chance to do some work on the "Barrel-Coptor" animation.

Here's a still from the render, click the link below for the test render. Rendered in Blender Internal with some light post-processing. As always, comments and criticism are very welcome. That's why I'm posting!

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 10.41.47 AM.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	968.3 KB 
ID:	411399

https://youtu.be/7PEPIOColE4

Looking back through my files, just found this image which was when I had just started the very basic blocking in and started to make some more decisions about bringing the sky to life. Thought this would be a fun insight into my process (such that it is, ha!)...

Name:	temple-sketch.jpg 
Size:	645.0 KB 
ID:	412372

And here are a couple of "Back of the napkin" sketches that started the idea of doing a tropical temple...

Name:	temple1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	412382

Name:	temple2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	412384
    Last edited by paulchambers3D; 30-Nov-15 at 15:20.

Now that I'm moving the camera underwater it's time to start adding some aquatic life. Good chance to practice some rigging - something I avoid at all costs - but something that "Human Rigging" from the Blender Foundation is a great help for.

Here's a low-poly Angler Fish that I get the feeling is going to cause some trouble down there. I've added a Spline IK for his "Lantern" and a control for his eyes with a simple Hook modifier to allow me to give his eyes some basic expression...

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 1.32.36 PM.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	412656

And of course - every hunter needs its prey. Rigged up a school of fish using a spline IK and then hooked the two end points and mid points to some control GEO...

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 3.40.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	412676

And here's a quick pose:

Name:	lantern-fish.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	412677
    Last edited by paulchambers3D; 02-Dec-15 at 15:45.

Work continues on animation. I used to work in Flash so I have some experience with non-linear-animation, but soooo much to learn. It's one thing to learn the software, it's something else to pull off energetic, convincing animation.

Here's a work in progress video for my "Barrelcoptor." As always, would love to hear your animation hints and tips....

https://youtu.be/E1l_ZG-jE60

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 11.28.44 AM.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	412922

Nice looking project! I'll be interested in seeing how it develops.

I'm afraid I can't help much advising on rigging and animation, I'm in the same boat with regards to that kind of stuff. I agree that animating in Blender doesn't seem to come as naturally as drawing an animation frame by frame, the best I know to do is block in the keyframes with interpolation set to constant and fill in the gaps as best I can from there.

Originally Posted by FawfulBeans View Post
    Nice looking project! I'll be interested in seeing how it develops.

I'm afraid I can't help much advising on rigging and animation, I'm in the same boat with regards to that kind of stuff. I agree that animating in Blender doesn't seem to come as naturally as drawing an animation frame by frame, the best I know to do is block in the keyframes with interpolation set to constant and fill in the gaps as best I can from there.
    Thank you. Yep - My first animated elements were the seagulls which in retrospect was a bit ambitious. I tried to build them using the NLA Editor.

Since then I've gone a more traditional route, blocking in the main moves as you noted with constant interpolation and then making several passes further and further refining items.

Here's the low-poly water splash animation I made:

https://youtu.be/9j_iRDEvQWc

Name:  Capture-splash.PNG
Views: 2076
Size:  137.2 KB

This was built using NLA so I can then link it in and use it as I need it. Such as where it has become part of this low-poly dolphin segment...

https://youtu.be/BvIZboDNrvg

Name:	Capture-dolphins.PNG 
Views:	100 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	413299

The dolphins were animated using the blocking then refining approach - and I'm much happier with how they turned out.
    Last edited by paulchambers3D; 06-Dec-15 at 22:45.

Very low-resolution render, but you can see the animation so far including my animation work on the "Barrel Coptor" and the dolphins. I've just started blocking in the placement for the lantern fish...

Note that I made a mistake with some lamp settings so this whole thing is over-exposed:

Last edited by paulchambers3D; 22-Feb-16 at 14:27.

Man that's really good.

the water falling from the wheel is a bit too fast.
    the day night transition should be slown a lot, you could make a 5 to sec transition, I think it will turn really well.
    the copter is a bit fast also.

I've been in such a production few weeks ago.

you are very priductive. This is a very very promising project!
    Pierrick PICAUT
    Blender Foundation Certified Trainer
    Discover my course - www.p2design.eu - youtube channel - Follow me

Thank you Pieriko. That means a lot coming from you. Yep - timing is - as you know - a huge part of getting an animation right. The whole thing is probably running a little too fast at 30fps. I've done a couple of quick tests changing it to 25 or even 24fps before I even get in and change the actual animations themselves and that seems to be helping a lot....

Well, I must say the general animation is really good.
    It's just these few stage I4ve pointed out.... I really think day/night transition should be slown as a lighting and moud stuff while the scene tempo is the same...

Really, this is a big thing you're doing and it looks nice, I wish you've used Cycles.
    ASAP I'll post the work I've done, some kind of low-poly paper made stylised animation. I need to have my customer agreement to add it in my portfolio and so you'll see that it's way easier to get nice lighting with cycles .

Just take a deep breath, check the details but really and again, AWSOME JOB!
    Pierrick PICAUT

Working on some timing updates based on Periko's feedback. Also figuring out how and where to add some more interesting animated elements. Making this up as I go...

Name:	tentacles.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	625.2 KB 
ID:	413682

Name:	anchor.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	661.8 KB 
ID:	413683

Name:	past_ship.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	835.5 KB 
ID:	413684

I think the mouvement of the copter need to be smoothed before he "hit" the camera.
    then the shaking like he is recovering is head is too fast and lake of steping.
    accelerate/middle/ddcelerate... Thrn when he get out of screen it's cool but you should increase the acceleration effect adding an anticipation movement and then add more contradt between starting and out of screen speed.

whatever, your doin an axesome job!
    Pierrick PICAUT

Thanks Pieriko. I'm working on your advice on timing issues!

Also running some quick tests in Cycles. After the long render times of my Werner Herzog project, I'm enjoying the immediacy of Blender's Internal renderer. That said, perhaps once I feel good about all my animations and timing I'll move it over to Cycles. Here's a quick test to not only get a low-poly look but also a folded paper effect....

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 10.56.29 AM.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	413835

Very nice.
    If you have a good GPU and try to make simple shaders in cycles you should reach very affordable render times for your animation
    Pierrick PICAUT

More rigging. Setting up FK, IK and Stretching for an Octopus. Let me tell you - eight legs is a great way to practice rigging. Ha!

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 11.12.42 AM.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	414434

Starting to lay in some low-poly coral. You can also see a painterly look I'm going for using the compositor by using some glare, a couple of the filter nodes, and multiplying in some paper texture. This is still all in Blender's Internal Renderer, but I may swap to Cycles at some point. We'll see...

Name:	low-poly-coral.png 
Views:	1035 
Size:	847.7 KB 
ID:	414519

Name:	low-poly-coral2.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	780.9 KB 
ID:	414520

And here's that post-look above ground. Still plenty of geometry to drop in. Much of the main "Temple" design is still just blocked in with basic geometry. In the lower-right corner of the image you might spot the word "Tentacles" backwards - this is a placeholder for where the Octopus will get up to some mischief...

Name:	low-poly-coral3.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	902.6 KB 
ID:	414521
    Last edited by paulchambers3D; 14-Dec-15 at 20:18.

Running some more quick test in Blender Internal. As mentioned, it's so much fun working in something so quick after months of working in Cycles. It's also fun to see that you can still get something pretty decent with a little post work bringing in some chromatic aberration in the compositor.

I'm applying a very-very subtle wireframe modifier to bring out the "folds" of the edges without needing to add any additional geometry, and testing some very quick down and dirty square projection UVs. I think it looks pretty good, and it renders SOOOO fast...

Name:	paper-test.png 
Size:	697.4 KB 
ID:	414959

And adding little vertex noise using a cloud texture on a displace modifier is another quick way to bring in some subtle imperfections while keeping the underlying geometry super simple for rigging...

Name:	paper-test2.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	699.9 KB 
ID:	414962
    Last edited by paulchambers3D; 17-Dec-15 at 14:05.

Wonderful Work!! ++1

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast