Posted "Symetrical - Mirror Modeling Tutorial"

I have Posted a New tutorial. In preparation for the “Modeling the Human Head tutorial” I thought I should post some foundaton tutorials to reference. The Head tutorial will be fairly complicated. The Symetrical - mirror modeling tutorial needs to be cleaned up a bit yet and I need to optimize the images, but I thought I’d get it up and see how it looked online. I warn -you that the images will load slowly as I have not optimized them yet. Might be a good time to go get a cup of coffee while it loads unless you are one of the fortunate DSL or Cable Modem users.

Other foundation tutorials planned in no particular order are:

• UV image mapping for rotoscope images.
  • Proportion edit mode mini tutorial
  • Rotoscope image preparation for front and side views of subject
  • Extrude Repeat Button Mini Tutorial

I plan to reference Lyubomir’s Pixar Eye tutorial for building the eyes. They are the best 3d eyes I have seen. http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com/tutorials.php

As always I appreciate community feedback.
Please bear in mind I still have a little cleanup work to do on this one. The Tutorial can be made available at Blenderchar as well after I have optimized it.

http://www.creationanimation.com

Also, I just got the OK from B@rt to get on the Blender Web Ring. I will be adding the Web ring buttons this week as well as some other goodies.

BlendOn!

mthoenes

Pretty nice tutorial. However, there is a slightly easier way… Instead of fooling around with the Dupli Mesh Button, why not just hit Alt-D when you dupe, making an instance of your original mesh. Flip-flop it and continue as you stated. Is there an advantage to your method that I’m not aware of?

BTW, I really like the uniform layout of the tutorials on your site, and the very relevant illustrations. Often we get a list of instructions in single-paragraph form that near-indecipherable at best.

yes I thought so too…don’t know why you have Shift+D in that tute when it is ALT+D by default when doing instance copys and wanna have mirror modeling…it is how I am modeling this character:

http://m1.402.telia.com/~u40213180/alien/poster3.jpg

you can also check this post for updates:
https://blenderartists.org/board/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=94&forum=4&start=0

ztonzy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ztonzy on 2002-03-27 09:52 ]</font>

You both have an excellent point, I suppose when you learn something one way you just keep doing it that way. The Alt-D is a better way and I will adjust the tutorial to reflect that.

No need to over complicate things.

I had some trouble with flipping the sphere half along the x any axis. This is because I advocate inserting from top view so you always know your axis is starting at the same as the global. Then of course, my Z axis was the one I had to flip along. And I can’t get blender to flip objects on the Z axis. There is probably a better way to do this too and I would appreciate knowing about it.

I certainly am no guru, but I would like to share what I have learned about Blender in the past 16 months. Especially the things I found personally confusing for a long time.

I owe most of what I know to the Blender community and the Blender 2.0 Guide.

I think I will still include comments about the Dupli mesh button so that people will know what it is for.

Thanks for the feedback about the uniform format. I am trying hard to be consistent. I agree that long paragraphs of instruction are no fun to learn by.

mthoenes

I had some trouble with flipping the sphere half along the x any axis. This is because I advocate inserting from top view so you always know your axis is starting at the same as the global. Then of course, my Z axis was the one I had to flip along. And I can’t get blender to flip objects on the Z axis. There is probably a better way to do this too and I would appreciate knowing about it.

You could easily correct the local axis by using Apply Size/Rot (Rot=rotation) with CTRL+A when selected the Meshobject (not in editmode!!) , and then Z-axis will point up how ever the mesh is located…!! great tip !!

I certainly am no guru, but I would like to share what I have learned about Blender in the past 16 months. Especially the things I found personally confusing for a long time.

I owe most of what I know to the Blender community and the Blender 2.0 Guide.

mthoenes

Me neither…though I have used Blender aobut 12 months back, and less with the Blender Guide 2.0, couldnt live without it…

ztonzy

ztonzy

I learned that a long time ago but lost it into the Dark Ages of my mind. Thanks for your Help. I will add that to the tutorial as well.

Sometimes the best way to learn something is to try to teach it.
I encourage you to submitt a tutorial or several to the BlenderChar site.
Just post it here and tell WeirdHat he can post it on BlenderChar.

If you don’t have much time, make it a mini tutorial about something.

By the way, Your Blue humanoid is very cool. Thanks for posting it.

mthoenes

Thanks for the idea makeing tutes and posting them though I haven’t come up with the idea for a tute concerning character animation yet, still learning.

And for the humanoid model it is still in progress, don’t know what in the end how it will look like, and if I might animate it or just rendering with lots of textured stuff.

ztonzy