Blender + Sverchok

Hi. I am completely new to both Blender and Sverchok. My only interest in using these is to parametrically modify my existing sculptures created in other software, thus I have no interest in scene creation, character creation, animation, etc. I ONLY want to know the exact steps or path to the Sverchok interface from the default Blender interface. I have read and tried several tutorials on this already and they all begin at square seven instead of square one, i.e., they show the Sverchok node editor window already open and give no explanation at all of how they got there. So, I need to know how to navigate to the Node Editor, find Sverchok and open the necessary windows to begin using it on geometry I have imported to Blender. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Gary

i have never heard about sverchok but from what ive seen now it seems like it has a lot to do with blender, unless someone who are familuar finds this thread i dont know if you will get a good answer. could you tell me a bit more about sverchok?

also, if you are curious about anything spesific try to explain the actions or tools you wish to use or do in blender, and ill try my best to answer you, but for now i dont know what information you are looking for as im not familuar with this sverchok program :slight_smile:

Sverchok (Russian for “Cricket”) is an open source emulation of Robert MacNeel Associates’ Grasshopper for their Rhino app. It is a “wired” parametric modifier used mainly by architects to apply parametric surface modifications to models. I want to use it in conjunction with my digital sculptures.

As for Blender, it’s basically a host for Sverchok, in the same sense that Rhino is a host for Grasshopper. Both Sverchok and Grasshopper do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way and I’d be using Grasshopper…if Rhino didn’t cost $996. :wink:

At this point, I already know how to get started with Sverchok, itself. That’s not the problem. The problem is in getting it open within Blender. I cannot find a single tutorial of any kind (blog post, video, etc.) showing exactly how to get Sverchok open in Blender, which I find a bit ridiculous, really. I mean, if you’re going to write a tutorial, you should start at the beginning, right? Especially if you’re writing it for beginners. What I do know, so far, is that access to Sverchok in Blender is through the Node Editor because Sverchok is a node plugin. However, when I access the Node Editor in Blender, the only node present or loaded is the Materials node and I do not see any way to navigate to the Sverchok node. I know it’s there, as I have seen the Sverchok node after installing Sverchok in Blender. Getting to the node through the Node Editor “should” be as simple as it is to get to any node, right? So, if one of you Blender jockeys can direct me as to how to navigate to specific nodes from the Node Editor, I should be able to find the Sverchok node and get started. Thanks.

Thanks. This does look helpful, though I won’t know for sure until I can try it out. As far as object manipulation in Blender goes, though, I already know how to import a mesh, pan, zoom, move, orbit, select, etc. That’s about all I need to know of Blender to import a mesh for modification via Sverchok, I would think. I will not be using Blender, per se. Sverchok does the only work I want to do, here. Once it has done its thing, the only other thing I’ll be doing is saving and exporting my modified model.

The Sverchok addon page at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Nodes/Sverchok
has 23 tutorial links in both English and Russian. The first one may help you get started as it contains…

when working with Node-Based workflow, we will need the Blender Node-Editor as our environment to connect node network.

I normally use Blender’s Compositing layout preset. Let’s also have the Text Editor too for Sverchok.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zD_lGAhzjGQ/UsierfTOztI/AAAAAAABD7g/zoSxcvxCMcE/s1600/sverchok_002.png

Find an icon that takes you to Sverchok Node Tree environment. Next to the tiny Shader Node icon, Compositing Node icon, etc, you will find the Sverchok Node Tree icon.

If you are in the right environment, pressing Shift+A should give you list of Sverchok nodes:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dmYJ2llC-jE/UsigfG74ZtI/AAAAAAABD7s/uSBqT_xWhnc/s1600/sverchok_003.png

We have working documentation

… also this > Blender Sushi (explorations in Blender with Sverchok, Animation nodes, Python…)