Molecular Script -Particles Sometimes Merge with Size Deflect Selected

T 109 A Simplified.blend (2.91 MB)

Hi Jean-Francois,

First … thank you for creating this addon! It has features I haven’t found anywhere else.

What I’m trying to do:

I am trying to simulate a foot walking through sand and leaving a footprint.

I’ve done a lot of this with rigid bodies, but for the action I am now trying to illustrate the sand needs to be able to hold together a bit, in other words be able to clump, so Molecular seems to be just the thing.

This animation is intended to show how the sand reacts to the foot, and is meant to, ultimately, be as realistic as I can get it.

I’ve attached the .blend file I’m working with (Blender 2.76b).

The part I’m most interested in is how the ‘sand’ responds to the bottom of the ‘foot’.

If you run the animation you will notice that towards the end (on my PC anyway) the particles appear to merge to their geometric centers.

This is the behavior I need to control.

Sand particles touch, but do not merge.

My question:
Have I set up the Molecular addon correctly, especially so Size Deflect works reliably?
Sometimes with low numbers of particles, size deflect seems to work.
Sometimes with higher numbers of particles size deflect seems to work.
But sometimes particles appear to merge to their geometric centers by the end of the animation

Just in case it’s relevant here’s my computer setup:
Model Studio 1749
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Total available graphics memory 4091 MB

If possible, could you please look at the file and let me know if I have the settings correct?

A second question …
If you zoom in on the particles towards the end of the animation, you will see them moving quite a bit. Real sand might move at first, but that stops quickly. I am confused about which setting controls this behavior.

Could you please let me know how to do that?

Thanks!
Bob

You might try to send him PM because chances are that he won’t see this message.

Thanks, will do that!