[Addon $] green_land (create plants for scene,support LOD,C++)

----start from 20160103----
Green_land can generate wild scenes quickly , such as forests. Can be used for games or rendering. All the built-in plants are hand-made as LOD(level of detail) way, one plant has four different number vertices models.
Plant distribution and species are all controlled programmatically. a constantly updated plant library is built-in, but you can add your own (naming rules are followed; there is a custom library template).

features:
1:you can use weights map to control the distribution of plants, or you can use uv mapping accuracy to limit the distribution.
2:generating plants as LOD(level of detail) way (LOD can be determined by weight map or by the distance of camera), and the generated plants can be directly used in the game engine.
3:there are two mixed modes, ONE is the mixed mode (the proportion and density of different plants can be mixed by weight map), THE SECOND is the independent mode (a plant can be located by four vertices of a face with different weights map).
4:the position\ rotation\ orientation\ scale\ density of all plants are controllable, There will be no overlap between all the plants (solved by algorithm).
5:support camer visibility, plants that are not within the scope of the camera will be hidden, reducing the burden of the scene.
6:support simplified display of plants. For example, this plant has 1000 faces, after switching, only 100 faces are displayed, while other faces are hidden. When rendering, all faces are visible.
7:UI is drawn with opengl.
8:C++ implement which is 10time+ fast than python

in BGE:

tutorial 01:

All the built-in plants are hand-made as LOD(level of detail) way:

road map:
1:I will make the plants animatable in the future,for example: wind blows the grasses and trees.

NOW it’s available on Gumroad.(for blender 2.78)

for blender 2.80+ is developing and will be out soon…

Looks like a good replacement of Particles until it get a rewrite! But how are the performance with 100 000 of instances? To fill up a house garden with Grass, it’s not unusual when you have to push the emission number to over a million in the particle system. So in Python… is it really doable?

the performance is really a problem when the instances reach 100 000,but I will draw virtual line instead of real object in the preview mode,when you finally apply the setting then generate the real object instances to the scene.
about the the calculation ,I may use C++ module instead of python.

I love the lens visibility-thing. This could solve most of the problems I have when using high particle counts for animations!

recently I have some time to continue finishing this addon.

some features will be implemented:
1:blend more than one different objects by weight.
2:controll all the objects’s direction/scale/rotation by weight.
3:controll objects’s LOD by weight.
4:camera visibility of objects.

one useful thing is distribution by image texture(by tonal values) - highest value gets the first object in list etc.

Looks really good. Can’t wait to use it if the price is right :slight_smile:

----WIP 20170526------
this project is almost finished,now I have implemented evey features that I plan to .It will be released very soon.(fully implemented by C++,you can have a fast performance,note :the distribution of scene ojbects is NOT PARTICLE ,it’s completly implemented by my method :slight_smile:)

camera visibility of objects.

many objects for mixing with weight maps
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/imdjs/addons/green2.gif

can controll the position\rotation\scale\ of every object accuratly.

derectly using in BGE
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/imdjs/addons/green4.gif

handmake of plants library, every single type of plant has 4 levels of polycounts models (more types of plant will be adding…)

LOD by weight map or by camera

It looks really good :slight_smile: So you re-implemented a new particle system ? Or is it using Blender’s own system?

@bliblubli
you can say I re-implement a new particle-like system,but more flexible and customizable.

I can’t believe that almost no comments are here…It’s amazing upgrade for particle manipulation - is going to be similar to Forest Pack Pro which is fast as hell, are there many ways to control a “particles” or rather objects distributed as “particles”. Forest is able to create 100.000 distributed objects in miliseconds. It’s amazing that Your work IMDJS is going in similar way :slight_smile: Where and when You will release your add-on? What’s price for this amazing piece of software development?
Greetings
Hris

thank you,as for the price, it will be 25usd at first release with library(my library is low-ploy object not more then 3000 ploy but you can add your own custom object to the library). the price maybe increased as long as the new features are added,but is free for update if you have bought it.

Is there support for LOD by camera visibility? (High-res near camera and in-view, reducing LOD by both distance and visibility)

it’s not support camera LOD temporary,but I will add this feature later, it’ s easy to implement.
(by the way,the LOD model was pre-made,I make 4 level of different polycount models for every type of plant include grass type as library.)

any news on this one?

I’m busy on other project right now(cloth_nodes), this addon has been paused for a few months,it’s almost done but is not fully tested ,may has some bugs,
but If you want this right now, I will do some bug fix and release it in the next few days.

How much will it cost? I’m interested anyway, but I can wait, if you are very busy with your cloth addons. Free time is also important to work good :slight_smile:

the price will be about 25–30 in inital(will be increase in the future).it has a plants library.

----update20171105----
the recent new feature:
distribution mask by image (which blender particle dosn’t has)

simplify display:

add new plant to the library

you can create the custom library,but need to follow the rule of the other library(e.g. naming and icon),there is a example inside.

make a small tutorial 01:

Looks great and price is ok. Maybe you could do some side by side comparison of features compared to Blender’s own particle system and with some pictures. That would help understand the benefits.