Distance880 Sketchbook

Okay here is my art dump. It’s a bunch of random stuff I’ve worked on. I do about 90% of my modeling in blender. I do materials in Substance Painter. All of it is PBR metal/roughness. Most of this stuff is free to download and use if anyone happens to use PBR - Unity/UE4/Blender Game engine.

I’d also love to take requests as long as it’s not a massive project. I’m a total hobbyist and I’m really into Blender and Blender culture. I honestly couldn’t live without blender right now. I really want to make things people will want to use. I really would love feed back on how useful these things are.

Looks like solid work to me! Have you gotten into any game projects? Looks like you would do well in one of the myriad of those.

Yea Ive been part of a few teams. I was even on a team that presented at GDC one year. When they inevitably fall apart it’s always a big disappointment T_T

I’m really happy with what I’m doing now. It’s much more fulfilling. I pretty much make what I’m inspired to make on a given day, and give it all away to people who can use it!

I wouldn’t mind doing requests for some groups, so long as i can give what I make away to everyone.

Awesome way to be! As someone who aspires to make that next big game, I find it hard to use items from markets or that are free. Not because they are difficult to find or use or are of poor quality, but more because everyone has access to those assets. I’m sure that the more mundane like barrels or similar are things that could be used like that, but for other parts of the game… well those are the things that to some degree make your game (or other project) unique.

Anyway, keep truckin’! This stuff is looking great!

You’re totally right. I think one of the problems that smaller groups have is exactly that. They are capable of making amazing, original characters and weapons and such but they get bogged down by the demands of the mundane. I kind of look at props the same way a movie director would. You have a studio and create incredible creatures and futuristic robots which look incredible and but cost a fortune to make and put in a film, but when it comes to something like desk phone, no studio is going to spend time making a fake desk phone from scratch. If the script calls for one, they go to Wal-Mart and buy one. Then they use that same desk phone in every office scene in every movie they make. How many times has movie fans noticed that many many movies all have the same desk phone in their office. Probably not often. In the past it was a problem to maintain asset libraries like this because every game had it’s own engine and method of rendering/shading. It was impossible to maintain assets that would always look right regardless of the game/engine. Right now PBR seems like a shared standard, which means assets are a lot more interchangeable between engines/projects. The benefits of maintaining an asset library is that, an asset library represents work you don’t have to do from game to game or scene to scene. It’s ready automatically as demands change.

Here’s some new stuffs

Attachments

Excellent work! Keep it up!

Thanks, I just completed this!

Hi… very nice projects in here! being a fan of alien and blade runner i especially like the scifi structures of yours!
i am going to watch them on my cardboard in a few minutes! :slight_smile:

that being said… i am a game developer myself. after releasing my current project (action rpg with procedural level generation) i am probably digging into an exploration style scifi project with VR in mind - so your sketchbook goes straight into my insprational folder :wink:

have you utilized any scripts to procedurally generated these meshes/structures/fractals?
did you used premade textures? or have you set up these in blender?

keep it up!

I will say, I have not used scripts. But I will also say, that I try do design with scripting in mind. Modular, repeatable. I like to look at blueprints people have made for UE4. There is some genuinely innovative things coming out in that area. I’m constantly tempted to learn how to create blueprints, but I’ve shied away from it so far.

Procedural generation of environments is high, high on my list of interesting topics, especially with urban environments, or interiors.

For in blender, I use a lot of arrays and modifiers at the moment.

All my materials, I make from scratch in substance painter, and designer. I do have a collection of brushes and alphas that I use with in those programs. I also create a lot of my own alphas and brushes, symbols, wingdings, ect. I’m always afraid that If i use someone else’s resources that they will show up at some point and scream at me for not giving them credit, which is hard to do once your working library gets so big.

Here is a recent materials experiment using modifiers and a material I created with substance

This was a concept for “living metal”.

Are all these sketchfab windows causing a problem for anyone loading?

Here are some materials I’ve started to make for various reasons, but I’ve made them public, with no restrictions. You need a free sketchfab account to download them though.

Quite overload but fine and nice your stuff, interesting to see your progress, keep it up !

Hello! You were right, it was an overload. I have tried to clean it up! I will try and only post my favorite things here!

Some modular game assets.

Looks like you would do well in one of the myriad of those.

The test subject looks awesomeness, even thought the toes look strange. Keep it up! I want mooooore! :smiley:

hehe I’ll keep working on him, I have to add some more to him, like tubes and wires hanging off him. He’s kinda of a laboratory escapee. xDxD