Duplicating a texture?

Hi,

I’ve got a material with a lot of different textures in the slots. I like one texture, but I’d like to change it a bit while retaining the original texture. So I’d like to duplicate a texture, and when I change it’s settings the original texture should remain unchanged. They should have different names too. How do I do that?

The documentation says the little copy-and-paste-to-buffer arrows copy settings, but for me they copy the link to a texture so I have the same texture in 2 different slots :expressionless:

While the texture is active on your object, click “add new” and it should create a new texture with the same settings applied to it.

Ah, thanks very much! :slight_smile:
Is it right that this doesn’t copy the settings in the Mapto tab?

That’s what those copy-and-paste-to-buffer buttons are good for. They copy all the mapping settings and, as part of that, the reference to the used texture datablock.

If you use them and go to the texture buttons (F6) then you can see a little button with a number (2 or higher) next to the text field with the texture’s name. That’s telling you how often that particular texture is used. You can click that button to make a single-user copy, but that’s just the same as clicking “Add new” in the dropdown list (and it doesn’t even save you a click as you have to confirm the appearing dialog field).

Thanks! Now I really got it. :wink: