Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
    Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Do you mean texture or geometry?
    texture. at about 64x64, its effectively a gradient with details that look like compression artifacts (sort of). the eyelashes need to be several times bigger as well. i would recommend a dedicated texture for details like eyelashes, eyes, and maybe finger nails(nail polish patterns without need to change the uv).

the makehuman eyes about 256, but im not that fond of how they look. kinda cartoony.

geometry is fantastic, very optimized. but i did notice that the eyeballs arent pointing parallel Y axis. that makes unwrapping them a bit annoying.
    System "IVAN" (rev 1.3b) - Win7 64bit - Blender 2.74:
    CPU- Intel i3-3220 3.30 Ghz | GPU- EVGA GTX 970 | RAM- GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz | MB- ASUS P8Z77-V LK

Concerning red eyes, I have to investigate. I will try to fix the eye shader in time for the 1.6.1.
    Dark brown skin: Complexion 0.9. Other parameters: default.
    Brown eyes: low value for "Eyes_value" parameter.
    Latissimus Dorsi muscles: Torso -> Torso_tone (also: Torso_Vshape)
    Trapezius: Neck -> Neck_tone
    Thanks, works out swell!

Originally Posted by Daedalus_MDW View Post
    texture. at about 64x64, its effectively a gradient with details that look like compression artifacts (sort of). the eyelashes need to be several times bigger as well.
    Yes, textures need to be improved: in future versions of the lab I will separate the images. It will be done before the implementation of the new texture editor. Perhaps I will dedicate the whole 1.8 to improvement of human models and textures.

geometry is fantastic, very optimized. but i did notice that the eyeballs arent pointing parallel Y axis.
    In the early versions of the lab the eyes were parallel.
    Anyway this happens very rarely in real anatomy (sometime it can happen when someone looks at something very distant and undefined, like the stars). In most of cases parallel eyes create a "dazed effect", so I decided to recalibrate them with a natural angle anatomycally more realistic.
    My open source Blender addon to create 3D humans: www.manuelbastioni.com

Originally Posted by dcrosby View Post
    Thanks, works out swell!
    Also I confirm that red eyes will be fixed in 1.6.1. It's because two factors: reddish texture and too high blend value for the "Layer weight" node.

First of all,
    awesome addon and great work on it

I managed to create a few characters with it and imported them into Unreal Engine 4 without much hassle (had one issue at some point but it turned out to be animation related). Now I am working on clothing and must be doing something wrong as I cannot get the proxy fitting to work at all.
    Workflow:
    - get base mesh from Utilities (Human Female)
    - create clothing based on that base mesh
    - save scene and load one of my characters (finalized MBLab based on human female)
    - append clothing mesh into character scene
    - select clothing and then character mesh
    - click "fit proxy"
    - nothing happens... ??

The only thing that I did apart from that was changing the scale to UE4 scale and resized the char & clothing, could that be my mistake?

Originally Posted by Åsmund View Post
    I found the settings for making the materials on the eyes show up in material mode. You need to set the shader to Mix shader
    Attachment 507041
    I also tried to get the eyes to show up, but when I have the same settings as in your screenshot, my eyes are still white:
    white-eyes.png
    It also doesn't matter whether I'm in Texture or Material mode.
    You said that you have to set `shader` to `Mix shader`, but in your screenshot, you're shaders are `Glass / Transparent BSDF`. You have `Mix Shader` for Surface, but that's the default option?

If I change Material -> MBlab_cornea -> Surface -> Shader to `Mix Shader`, I'm just getting black / gray eyes.
    Did I miss some setting?
    I would appreciate it a lot if can write down the steps you took to have the eyes shown.
    Last edited by NumesSanguis; 06-Dec-17 at 03:03. Reason: grammar

Originally Posted by tier777 View Post
    * Would it be possible for the "Insert keyframe" button on the Expressions panel to only create keyframes for the shape keys that are actually affected by the current settings? Otherwise it's a little tricky working with different animation "passes" (i.e. I would usually animate most of the breathing/blinking/swallowing separate from the actual face expressions and speech).
    I just evaluated the feasibility of this feature. Unfortunately it's not feasible, because the shapekeys with value 0.0 often are an important active part of the expression.

Example.

- The expression "ALL": all shapekeys value = 1.0
    - The expression "NONE": no shapekeys are used.
    - At frame 0 there is the expression "ALL"
    - At frame 10 there is the expression "NONE"

If at the frame 10 the system stores only shapekeys affected by the current expression, it will store nothing.
    So instead to see a smooth transition between "ALL" -> "NONE", the user will see always "ALL".

To solve this I should use a complex algorithm that evaluate the previous frames and register a zero value for all the shapekeys previously used but not present at the current expression. Anyway it's easy to estimate that even with this system, a complex facial animation will always use a great part of the shapekeys, so the resulting optimisation will be not so noticeable.

Manuel’s funding?

...I'm working on a funding system that should be ready before the end of the year...
    Bless you: STAY SAFE, and all that!!

I just evaluated the feasibility of this feature. Unfortunately it's not feasible, because the shapekeys with value 0.0 often are an important active part of the expression.
    No problem. I saw you already added my alternative suggestion to solve this (i.e. having the "Insert Keyframe" function respect channels' lock option) to the progress page.
    At least, that's what I interpreted Task 1.6.1/008 to be...

Example.

- The expression "ALL": all shapekeys value = 1.0
    - The expression "NONE": no shapekeys are used.
    - At frame 0 there is the expression "ALL"
    - At frame 10 there is the expression "NONE"

If at the frame 10 the system stores only shapekeys affected by the current expression, it will store nothing.
    So instead to see a smooth transition between "ALL" -> "NONE", the user will see always "ALL".

To solve this I should use a complex algorithm that evaluate the previous frames and register a zero value for all the shapekeys previously used but not present at the current expression. Anyway it's easy to estimate that even with this system, a complex facial animation will always use a great part of the shapekeys, so the resulting optimisation will be not so noticeable.
    Would muting an expression be an option for you?
    Select character -> Data (reversed triangle) -> Shape Keys -> toggle mute shape key
    Blender_mute_shape-key.png
    -- or --
    bpy.data.shape_keys["Key"].key_blocks["Expressions_X"].mute = True

I'm trying to make my own custom expression sliders as you have under ManuelBastioniLab -> FACE EXPRESSIONS. For this I copied angry01.json and modified it in (Ubuntu 16.04):
    /home/*user*/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/manuelbastionilab/data/expressions_comb/human_expressions/
    `{"metaproperties": {}, "structural": {"Expressions_browsMidVert": 0.8}, "manuellab_vers": [1, 6, 0], "materialproperties": {}}`

I noticed that the Shape Keys are not given the same value as put into .json. If the value is > 0.5, the shapekey "Expressions_browsMidVert_max" is given the value `(val-0.5) * 2` and if value < 0.5, it is the shapekey "Expressions_browsMidVert_min" that's affected by `(0.5-val) * 2`.

For exportability purposes (for example to modify blendshapes in Unity 3D with the same .json), wouldn't it make more sense if `val > 0` contributes to "Expressions_*_max" and `val < 0` to "Expressions_*_min"?

p.s. If you're adding your own expressions, put the following script in "Text Editor" in Blender. It reloads the plugin, so you can test it without restarting Blender:
    import bpy
    import imp
    import manuelbastionilab # addon name
    imp.reload(manuelbastionilab)
    bpy.ops.wm.addon_enable(module='manuelbastionilab' )

Originally Posted by tier777 View Post
    No problem. I saw you already added my alternative suggestion to solve this (i.e. having the "Insert Keyframe" function respect channels' lock option) to the progress page.
    At least, that's what I interpreted Task 1.6.1/008 to be...
    The 1.6.1/008 was the feature evaluated above as "not feasible". I've not removed it from the list because I'm still thinking about a way to implement it, but without success at the moment. If all the tests fail, I will evaluate the "lock channel" feature (if it requires to write a lot of code, I have to postpone it to future releases).

The 1.6.1/008 was the feature evaluated above as "not feasible".
    Oh, I see...

If all the tests fail, I will evaluate the "lock channel" feature (if it requires to write a lot of code, I have to postpone it to future releases).
    Looks to me like it should ideally just be a one-line addition to the if statement at the very end of the keyframe_expression() function in animationengine.py to check whether the channel is not locked (aka protected).

However, I just did a little research myself and it seems this is indeed not quite as straight-forward as I thought: AFAICT, unlike "mute", protection is not a property of the shapekey but probably rather of the fcurve-channel which itself is linked to the current action - which might not even exist prior to the keyframe operation (then again, in that case it also couldn't already be protected).
    I did already find several examples on blender.stackexchange.com of simple helper functions that retrieve (or, if necessary, create) the fcurve channel for a given shapekey but I did not have the time to actually try and put it all together just yet...

In the end, I'm actually a bit surprised, the shapekey's keyframe_insert()-function doesn't simply have a flag for preventing or allowing keyframe creation on locked channels - after all this issue isn't really unique to MBL... "Locked" should really always mean "locked", regardless of whether the keyframe was set via the UI or programmatically...
    Last edited by tier777; 08-Dec-17 at 10:33. Reason: Addendum rgd. potential underlying issue in Blender

Phonemes in MB Lab 1.6

Hello Manuel,

Thank you for the this great Blender add-on. I have installed the latest version 1.6 but I cannot seem to find the Expression phonemes.. I initialize a character and then look under the 'Body, face and measure parameters' tab, in the 'Expressions' morphing category but there are no phoneme expressions.. Am I doing something wrong? should I be looking in another section? Please advise..

Thank you
    Music is art is science is imperfect is nature..

Originally Posted by panthistle View Post
    Hello Manuel,

Thank you for the this great Blender add-on. I have installed the latest version 1.6 but I cannot seem to find the Expression phonemes.. I initialize a character and then look under the 'Body, face and measure parameters' tab, in the 'Expressions' morphing category but there are no phoneme expressions.. Am I doing something wrong? should I be looking in another section? Please advise..

Thank you
    theres two main functions of the addon. EDITING and ANIMATING. the parameters tab is an EDIT function, and all changes will be considered "rest" or default or static.

once you "Finalize" your character, or click on a previously finalized character, you are in ANIMATE mode. here you will find your expressions tab with the phonemes. changes to these sliders can be animated or otherwise dynamic.
    CPU- Intel i3-3220 3.30 Ghz | GPU- EVGA GTX 970 | RAM- GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz | MB- ASUS P8Z77-V LK

I have verion 1.5 installed under Blender 2.78c but I really have not used it very much. Now I am ready to get in depth with using MBL. I downloaded the zip of version 1.6. Can I just unzip that directly over the version 1.5 folder in the blender addons directory. Or do I need to uninstall using the blender interface then delete that folder then unzip 1.6 into the add on directory. I just do not want to make a mistake and crash blender or have conflicting version. I tend to unzip addons directly into the addons folder rather then using the "Install from file" button under the user preferences panel. I know that probably does the same thing but it does put files into a different place, and while I understand having a standard location is better for troubleshooting, I like to know where things are on my system.

Thanks.
    At some point in life you stop being the man you are and start being the man you always wanted to be. ------ Bruce Springsteen.

Originally Posted by NumesSanguis View Post
    I also tried to get the eyes to show up, but when I have the same settings as in your screenshot, my eyes are still white:
    white-eyes.png
    It also doesn't matter whether I'm in Texture or Material mode.
    You said that you have to set `shader` to `Mix shader`, but in your screenshot, you're shaders are `Glass / Transparent BSDF`. You have `Mix Shader` for Surface, but that's the default option?

If I change Material -> MBlab_cornea -> Surface -> Shader to `Mix Shader`, I'm just getting black / gray eyes.
    Did I miss some setting?
    I would appreciate it a lot if can write down the steps you took to have the eyes shown.
    Following this YouTube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ggyxCCVoo I managed to get the eyes to show up, but is this the correct way? What I did was:
    - Tab --> right-mouse button --> hover over both eyes and press L --> ctrl+i --> Data (the triangle menu) --> Vertex Groups --> + (add group) --> rename to 'eye_select' --> Modifiers (tool menu) --> Add Modifier --> Mask --> Vertex Group 'eye_select' --> deselect render and select eye, display modifier, modifier result --> A --> Tab. Now the eyes show up!

Is that the correct process?
    Last edited by NumesSanguis; 12-Dec-17 at 02:08. Reason: clarification

Originally Posted by NumesSanguis View Post
    I managed to get the eyes to show up, but is this the correct way? What I did was:
    - Tab --> right-mouse button --> hover over both eyes and press L --> ctrl+i --> Data (the triangle menu) --> Vertex Groups --> + (add group) --> rename to 'eye_select' --> Modifiers (tool menu) --> Add Modifier --> Mask --> Vertex Group 'eye_select' --> deselect render and select eye, display modifier, modifier result --> A --> Tab. Now the eyes show up!
    nope, not really. theres some good info on the last few pages.

Originally Posted by SHABA1 View Post
    I have verion 1.5 installed under Blender 2.78c but I really have not used it very much. Now I am ready to get in depth with using MBL. I downloaded the zip of version 1.6. Can I just unzip that directly over the version 1.5 folder in the blender addons directory. Or do I need to uninstall using the blender interface then delete that folder then unzip 1.6 into the add on directory. I just do not want to make a mistake and crash blender or have conflicting version. I tend to unzip addons directly into the addons folder rather then using the "Install from file" button under the user preferences panel. I know that probably does the same thing but it does put files into a different place, and while I understand having a standard location is better for troubleshooting, I like to know where things are on my system.

Thanks.
    i just unzip and add "_160" or whatever version to the main addon folder name so i can keep old versions.

DO NOT run two versions together. DO NOT unzip over existing due to structure changes.

its really best to disable the addon, delete the lab folder, then copy your new one in.

theres two main functions of the addon. EDITING and ANIMATING. the parameters tab is an EDIT function, and all changes will be considered "rest" or default or static.

once you "Finalize" your character, or click on a previously finalized character, you are in ANIMATE mode. here you will find your expressions tab with the phonemes. changes to these sliders can be animated or otherwise dynamic.
    Thank you Daedalus. I had finalized the character but I was looking in the 'Shape Keys' section of the 'Object Data' tab. I realize now that the 'FACE EXPRESSIONS' tab in MB Lab remains active after finalization and that the phonemes are there.
    Music is art is science is imperfect is nature..

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast