Tomato Jones - a physics/puzzle game :P

Steam store link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/499460/
Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/g/tomato-jones
Itch.io: https://haidme.itch.io/tomatojones
Hey guys,
I decided to start a new project…a fun, little game while I’m gathering strengths for Krum II.
Indiana Ball is a puzzle, adventure game. You are…a (soft body)ball and have to make your way through dozens of puzzle type levels, while gathering ancient artefacts. The game will relay heavily on physics and simulation capabilities of BGE.
Also now I’m using GLSL mode, so all little bonuses like real time shadows and advanced material shaders will be there.
This in the video is the third level. I’m thinking about making 20-30 levels.
I’m reusing heavily all features of Krum- 3D assets, textures, interface, game settings, global setup, save/load, map progression, LOD…etc.

2 Likes

As always, excellent work! You could test it with the UPBGE branch :slight_smile:

Looks awesome, I like the style. Does the softbody encounter glitches often? I would imagine getting squished by a platform could make the player fall through the map.

This game looks really nice. And you’ve done it so fast;)

i think the softbody part is only for appearance, it should deal no collision to things in the game.

It seems to be the time for ball rolling games. With yours and Thatimsters project. And i also started a project based on rolling a ball a few month ago (But with a different concept and without any puzzles).

Maybe it was also time for you to make something not so bloodthirstly.

The hat suits the character , it gives him personality (Also nice that it gives a hint for the direction).
Graphics are looking great.

You mentioned this is the third level. Is the level complete? Is there a puzzle i did not spotted. What is the objective?

Thanks I’ll test UPBGE branch.

Does the softbody encounter glitches often? I would imagine getting squished by a platform could make the player fall through the map.

Yes, but most glitches are based on the intensity of the applied forces, with very careful map design they can be reduced to minimum.

i think the softbody part is only for appearance, it should deal no collision to things in the game.

Unfortunately it is impossible to simulate the simulation it self, soft bodies are behaving like soft bodies based on the collisions with other surfaces.

It seems to be the time for ball rolling games. With yours and Thatimsters project. And i also started a project based on rolling a ball

Haha, It’s true, I didn’t noticed that at first. Well that should be great, we can exchange experience about the problems we might encounter.

Is the level complete? Is there a puzzle i did not spotted. What is the objective?

The purpose of the first several maps will be to get comfortable with controls and physics set up in the game. This map is not fully completed, it is missing the objective and a few other things. Also firstly I’ll create all the assets I might need for the game…traps,platforms…environment objects…etc. Then I’ll continue with the hard part - maps.
Also I’m thinking of adding enemies, like in the movie…Indiana always runs from soldiers and cannibal tribes in the series. Maybe a cute brownish balls with metal WW2 hemets and balls with feather/bones hats. Our hero must jump over or run around them.

Actually what is hard in this type of games is the maps design, because the game it self is as simple as it can be, just a ball rolling around. What makes a game like that great is how good the map design(puzzles and physics) is. And that is something I’m not very good at :), so it should be hard designing a couple of tens of maps for it.

Wow, I love the style.:slight_smile:
What’s the name of the song

Great style !!

Thanks,
“Soliloquy” I think, but this is just a background music I left from Krum game.

Hey guys here is a little progress. I’ve done some more assets and an enemy:

that’s so cool, I sent you a PM.

Hello guys, here is another level design test + some more env. objects:

1 Like

Awesome style, and the music fits perfectly.

Wow… This looks so cool! I am wondering how you make those hats act so… neat!:smiley:

Thanks,

I am wondering how you make those hats act …

It is pretty simple actually.
I’ve made an armature with one bone and apply bending animations for each direction. Then set animation blending to 5-6 frames. And then I switch on/off each animation depending from the direction the ball is going with Python code.

Looks awesome!!

Hey, this is another level I’ve made for the game. Its pretty easy and short, it will be one of the starting levels, where player still have to learn basic movement and different obstacles.Also I added “cinematic bars” to add a bit of a movie feeling to the game.

Nice! Really really really nice! Lovely assets.:slight_smile:

Thank you Adrians!