[Add-on] BDS-Tools (Importer for Daz Studio / DSON files)

The very first version of BDS-Tools is now available.

See README for instructions here: https://github.com/rykerp/bds-tools
Get version 1.0 here: https://github.com/rykerp/bds-tools/releases

This version is still in very early development, especially material support is very, very basic. Expect some bugs.

Short demo video (was already posted in the WIP thread):

Thank you very much for sharing this, really appreciate it. Looks awesome. Downloading right now and testing as soon as I get home.

Right on!!! You rock. Thanks for working on this. This is so great.

I am trying to get it installed but nothing happens…weird. I am just installing from file and choosing the zip file like I have done hundreds of other times without issue. I checked my script directory and it is in there but nothing shows up under User in Blender prefs. Any ideas?

update…the bds-tools-master.zip worked but no the bds-tools-1.0.zip. I am not sure what the difference is but I just thought I would let others know that.

So all the assets I have tried to import, produce the following error. I set my root directory in the preferences. Any ideas?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\bds-tools-master\asset_import.py”, line 37, in execute
load_asset(self.properties.filepath)
File “C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\bds-tools-master\asset_import.py”, line 113, in load_asset
asset = types.Asset(filepath)
File “C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\bds-tools-master ypes\asset.py”, line 24, in init
self.root_path = self.find_root_path(filepath)
File “C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\addons\bds-tools-master ypes\asset.py”, line 44, in find_root_path
addon_prefs = user_preferences.addons[“bds-tools”].preferences
KeyError: ‘bpy_prop_collection[key]: key “bds-tools” not found’

Same errors here. Can’t install bds-tools-1.0.zip either.

bds-tools-master.zip seems to install but got the same errors trying to import any asset.

Sorry for messing this up.

I just realized that Github changes the directory name inside the zip files and attaches -master or -1.0 which breaks the add-on.

Please rename the directory inside scripts/addons to bds-tools and it should work.

Update:
The 1.0 release has been fixed. Please redownload https://github.com/rykerp/bds-tools/releases/download/v1.0/bds-tools-1.0.zip

Awesome thank you. Sad I don’t have time to try it today, but I’ll try as soon as I can.

can someone give some hint for non-poser user? for example,

1. which file should we install if we download a model, its this file self-contained( I mean, we just need to install this file and we do not need poser or other files at all)
  2. which duf should we import? I found many duf and one dsf files under “98574 Eiryn”, I don’t know which is the mesh, pose or something else.
    Thanks

R:.
└─98574 Eiryn
    ├─Documentation
    │  └─ADSI
    ├─My Library
    │  ├─data
    │  │  └─DAZ 3D
    │  │      └─Genesis
    │  │          └─Base
    │  │              └─Morphs
    │  │                  └─ADSI
    │  │                      └─Eiryn
    │  ├─People
    │  │  └─Genesis
    │  │      └─Characters
    │  │          └─ADSI
    │  │              └─Eiryn
    │  └─Runtime
    │      └─libraries
    │          ├─camera
    │          ├─character
    │          ├─face
    │          ├─hair
    │          ├─hand
    │          ├─light
    │          ├─materials
    │          ├─Pose
    │          │  └─ADSI
    │          │      └─Eiryn Genesis
    │          │          ├─MATs
    │          │          └─MATs SSS
    │          ├─props
    │          └─scene
    └─Runtime
        ├─libraries
        │  ├─camera
        │  ├─character
        │  ├─face
        │  ├─hair
        │  ├─hand
        │  ├─light
        │  ├─materials
        │  ├─Pose
        │  │  └─ADSI
        │  │      └─Eiryn
        │  │          ├─MATs
        │  │          └─MATs SSS
        │  ├─props
        │  └─scene
        └─Textures
            └─ADSI
                └─Eiryn

Oyster, to import a figure you need to locate the correct .duf file. In your case I would assume it is under People -> Genesis -> Characters -> ADSI -> Eiryn.

Looking at https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/eiryn/98574 it seems that this figure has a couple of dependencies which also need to be present in your content root directory.

I tried both master and 1.0 branches. Both loaded the model and morphs, base female (duf) that is, victoria 5 (dsf) failed. Both failed on the importing the material though. While loading genesis.duf directly, v1.0 additionally caused blender to freeze (while I was looking in the system console) and I had to close it. I don’t remember whether genesis.duf can/should be loaded directly though.
If you want additional information (like error log) tell me. I would need some way to copy the python runtime error popup text though (preferably copy text, and not take screenshot); anyone with a how-to ? If the system console output is sufficient, please tell.

I tried some morphs and they seemed to work. It seems this addon does not incorporate any tools to resize the different body parts (scaling that is, and not fat/muscle mass) ? In other words, to shape your character, and not simply rely on presets (also known as character/model morphs). I’m pretty sure this is a DS implementation that is well…implementation, so you shouldn’t necessarily know how to go about writing such tools. But since this type of development is not my area, I cannot assume anything.

Also, I did not get any rig whatsoever.

Gonna get some sleep now.

I tried both master and 1.0 branches. Both loaded the model and morphs, base female (duf) that is, victoria 5 (dsf) failed. Both failed on the importing the material though. While loading genesis.duf directly, v1.0 additionally caused blender to freeze (while I was looking in the system console) and I had to close it. I don’t remember whether genesis.duf can/should be loaded directly though.
If you want additional information (like error log) tell me. I would need some way to copy the python runtime error popup text though (preferably copy text, and not take screenshot); anyone with a how-to ? If the system console output is sufficient, please tell.

I tried some morphs and they seemed to work. It seems this addon does not incorporate any tools to resize the different body parts (scaling that is, and not fat/muscle mass) ? In other words, to shape your character, and not simply rely on presets (also known as character/model morphs). I’m pretty sure this is a DS implementation that is well…implementation, so you shouldn’t necessarily know how to go about writing such tools. But since this type of development is not my area, I cannot assume anything.

Also, I did not get any rig whatsoever.

Gonna get some sleep now.

Great work Ryker!

It’s from an older GenesisStarterEssentials-Pack (1.6)

Has anybody a link to free clothes for the basic models?

So it looks like you have created a node to handle the textures properly in Cycles. I loaded Teen Josie 7 (Genesis 3) and noticed that the Eyelashes, EyeMoisture and Cornea aren’t rendering properly (obviously transparency related) and I was wondering if you had a way of handling those transparent images or if this is a Genesis 3 incompatibility problem. It looks like Dito is getting transparency to render properly.

Always import .duf files not .dsf. Maybe blender wasn’t frozen but just working. An import might take a couple of minutes especially when you have a lot of morphs installed.

I just pushed some changes to master which might fix your V5 import. There is also a new preference option to write all logging output to a file.

Have you tried to scale bones in pose mode?

Yes, materials are super basic at the moment. Transparency won’t work in most cases. My first goal was to just get all image textures imported.

Thanks to everone who provided feedback!

No I wasn’t talking about the time it took to load and convert, but after having done so when I was looking in console. But that’s not important for now, so forget about this particular issue :slight_smile:

I just pushed some changes to master which might fix your V5 import. There is also a new preference option to write all logging output to a file.

Ok thanks. Before I test that I have to tell you that I have not used DS for about 2 years, and the content I have installed I left it there when uninstalling DS (in case I would ever install it again), but I remember well that I used to have a non-conventional directory structure for manual installs of content (since it was much easier to unsintall those without probably corrupting things. So it’s it appears that your addon naturally requires a single conventional directory structure or else it will fail finding materials and armature/pose data, and simply does not look up the config data (for among other things, the directory structure). That is the case correct ?

No problem with that at all and you shouldn’t waste energy on that, I’m just tying to verify the case.

Have you tried to scale bones in pose mode?

Since it failed finding/loading armature data and hence rig it’s not possible for me to do that, but yes I did think about it. When the script is done importing, and after the failure on material import, I’m left with only a mesh object, and two properties: the mesh itself, and the vertex groups. Shapekeys are obviously there too (just not exposed in the outliner, and I don’t remember if they are supposed to be seen there or not)

I was actually postulating whether the DS tools simply scaled the bones and that the bones implicitly scaled the vertices through their weight values (additionally maybe the tools also explicitly modified the vertices based also on their weight values, for finer control, but I don’t know about that). Anyway, I can only test that when I have a working rig.

The newer version generates the rig for me now. Thanks for that.

Thanks for putting this together.

I finally figure out how to use it on the genesis. Thank you for this addon.
as for “r:\Content\DAZ Studio Tutorials\Ready to Render - Dragon Slayer.duf”, the naked man is fighting with the dragon, while his clothes and hair are hanging on the dragon’s wing. The whole castle has only black materials.

but I don’t know how to import victoria42 yet since there is no duf

P.s. as for “r:\Content\People\Genesis\Characters\Basic Child.duf” and “r:\Content\People\Genesis\Characters\Basic Male.duf”, the imported models have same height. I don’t know about Daz, does Daz use the same scale?

Hi 3Dnut,

I didn’t change anything on the materials.
It is probably the Genesis Version.

Show your Node-Setup for the Eyelashes.

Yes, correct. But as long as works in Daz Studio it should work with the addon too. The only difference that I know of is that DS allows to have multiple content root directories.

I believe DS does just that. There are so called scale_weights which are used for scaling but I don’t think these can be used in Blender.

Yes, import does not work correctly if you have more than one armature / figure in a scene at the moment.

Yes, bone / node scaling does not work correctly everytime at the moment.