[Script] Wasted UV space percentage

Hi guys. I made this simple script because I needed to know the area my UV uses but couldn’t find a function in Blender to calculate it. It supports only tris and quads and ignores UV overlap in the calculation. Let me know if there’s actual need to convert this into an addon.

edit: Added functionality to calculate UV island amount.

1 Like

How do i install this?

You don’t. Just open the .py file in a text editor and run the script sc inside Blender. It outputs the info to the system console.

Thanks, I’ll check it out later.

Added the ability to approximate UV island count. Moved the script to Github.

The script is now an addon in the UV/Image editor and works while in edit mode.

Really usefull, thanks!

What an great update, wanted something like this for a long time!

Updated the addon to work on much larger UV sets. It also doesn’t spam garbage into the console if there is no selected object with UV. The speed improvement should be very noticeable.

1 Like

Thanks for good job

Love the addon, I got it to work in the text editor but doesn’t seem to install as a .py. Do you know about TexTools by renderhjs? Maybe you should team up and merge your awesome work with his .

If somebody wants to integrate this addon to others, they are very welcome to do so. If and when renderhjs upgrades his TexTools addon to 2.8, I can give it another look. Until that happens, it’s kind of pointless.

In case anybody wants to use this very useful addon in 2.80, I made the necessary changes to integrate it into the side panel.

UV_Waste_Percentage.py (7.0 KB)

3 Likes

Looks good. Thanks for the PR!

2 Likes

Great plugin, wish I’d had this sooner.

Is there a way to make this work when multiple objects are selected?

Not at the moment, I think, but pull requests are always welcome.

While it’s beyond my abilities, hopefully someone else feels inspired by this suggestion. Thanks again for the plugin! :slight_smile: