BGMC 20: Blender Game Making Contest

Welcome to the Blender Game Making Competition #20!
This is a contest for anyone who wishes to create a game with the Blender Game Engine.
The theme of this BGMC is Flight.

Some necessary logistics:

The contest starts on 2016-3-13 at 00:00 UTC (The contest has started, start making your game!)
The contest ends on 2016-3-27 at 00:00 UTC

The winner will be chosen via votes cast during the week following the end of the competition.
Voting works by scoring the game from 1 to 5 in seven different categories (stolen from the popular Ludum Dare competition)

Innovation – The unexpected. Things in a unique combination, or something so different it’s notable.
Fun – How much you enjoyed playing a game. Did you look up at the clock, and found it was 5 hours later?
Theme – How well an entry suits the theme. Do they perhaps do something creative or unexpected with the theme?
Graphics – How good the game looks, or how effective the visual style is. Nice artwork, excellent generated or geometric graphics, charming programmer art, etc.
Audio – How good the game sounds, or how effective the sound design is. A catchy soundtrack, suitable sound effects given the look, voice overs, etc.
Mood – Storytelling, emotion, and the vibe you get while playing.
Overall – Your overall opinion of the game, in every aspect important to you.

The winner is the game with the highest sum total of all categories combined.

Rules:

• Collaboration is allowed and encouraged
  • Please resist working on your game until the competition has begun (but feel free to start brainstorming).
  • Submit your entry by writing a post in the Finished Games forum with the prefix [BGMC 20] in the title.
  • Lastly and foremost, make sure you have fun!!

Prizes:

Winner gets to pick the theme & host the next BGMC
If you’re into stackexchange, I’ll happily award a bounty to your best answer on blender.stackexchange.

Good luck!

A few issues with the post itself:

1. Saying we “stole” the idea from LD is a bit much… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  2. Why “humor”? This cuts out not-funny games. “Entertainment value” would maybe be a better category?

But yeah, I’m in. The fun thing about being a hardcore steampunk fan is that flight is a central part of typical steampunk culture. =3

A solid theme. Don’t know how much life is going to afford me time, but I’m certainly getting in with even a small entry.

Everything sounds great apart from the humour category as mentioned. Not many, if any games I’ve played in BGMC are humour based, apart from some subtle text sarcasm.
For example gandalf3’s winning entry would have probably been marked down (along with most other games), if humour was a voting category.

I say replace ‘humour’ with ‘immersion’.

Or merge humor and mood. If your game is funny it should have a funny mood. If it is scary it shouldnt have a funny mood. Anyway. I’m in. I’ll try for something much simpler this time and I’m going to work on gameplay first and Graphics and sound last. That way you can play the game even if it isnt finished.

Great to hear that this has started. Fourtunately this time the hoster has also listened to me resulting in a week of free time when I can work hard on this contest. Thank you, gandalf3! :slight_smile:

I’ll be entering this, likely in collaberation with Thatimster. I also vote for dropping the ‘humour’ catagory.

One question does rule n2 ‘brainstorming’ include creating concept art and documentation eg.writing down other game features which you like into 1 document but without doing any actual creation of the game?

Wouldn’t a blender game making contest where people submit their ideas for videogames be better.Some people
might not have the skills to make the videogame.Or have a thread to submit ideas for videogames.

And than we wouldn’t have any nice finished projects of games. The ideas would propably be not realised anyways. That kind of contest wouldn’t be “Blender Game Engine” contest any more. The point of this contest is more or less proof the BGE.

You mean nobody would be interested in making them.

I’m excited for this competition, I can’t wait for it to start.

That’s exactly the point of the contest, people that can make games seeing who’s better at making a game. You don’t enter a race if you don’t have a car, or enter an eating contest if you can’t eat a lot at once.

Agreed, agreed! If you can’t make game, try to find out what you can make. For example, see if you can take a part in modelling contest, or an algorythm programming contest, or cooking contest. That’s why there are contests for almost every type of creative tasks:)

Hmmm… i might be teaming with @gandalf3… or @X-27. we’ll see how this works. On my own, i’m having some trouble thinking of idea… so i guess i have two weeks to come up with something. good luck all.

I am in, going solo, simple but with a twist.

That sounds fair.
I’d define “starting on your game” as making anything tangible (models, textures) that is intended to be in the final release.

So feel free to make all the ideas you want :wink:

And the humor category is no longer.

Can’t say it made much sense to me either, I guess that’s what I get for blindly copy/pasting rules…

Good luck and fun for all! It looks like it will be interesting BGMC:)

Nice to see the participant who will create the game, I can not but I learn it slowly and hope I will make it and more all inspired by you :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea best luck and used it for imagination !