Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BGMC 20 | Arctic Drones

BGMC 20 release is live!

The title is the hardest part to decide on! (it might change)

The game is set in the Arctic, and the goal is to disable/destroy the Frost Drone bases. Going with the theme of flight, all enemies are airborne. The player, however, is stuck in a big, slow moving tank. (tank is no longer lame, see updates below)

The challenge is in aiming the tank's weapon, for the fireballs do not fly in a straight line, and the Drones to not hover in the same spot for long.

(I like awesome looking VFX. This screenshot was taken before I added the headlights)

The drone needs a lot of detailing to it's paint still (although it looks awesome when shot down and blowing up!) and the tank is also probably not final.

Depending on how much time I have, the Tank might just have some cool enhancements in the harder levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by X-27; 26-Mar-16 at 21:37.

Nice effects on the last model ,did you use planes only to get that glowing effect ?
    good luck

Originally Posted by Dreamless-Reaper View Post
    Nice effects on the last model ,did you use planes only to get that glowing effect ?
    good luck
    For the glowing effect in the center of the drone, I have two setups of planes. one, with almost completely transparent (low alpha) and another with slightly higher alpha. the one with higher alpha is smaller, to make it appear the the glow is more solid in the center. The texture I am using is simply this:

Blue plasma.png
    the color of this texture is not influencing the material as much as the material color itself - that is why it looks much more glowey than just blue.

The rotors (the glow around them)
    are made similarly, the rotors themselves are a set of plains, forming a + shape running along the length of the rotor, and using the above texture.

This is my progress on the tank so far.
    but... tanks don't fly. the theme is flight.
    Who says tanks don't fly?

The tank's gun will of course behave and look different in flight mode, along with the tank's physics and pretty much everything else. I'm not sure how I'll incorporate a flying tank into the gameplay, perhaps it will be a special ability, or a pickup that must be found in the level.
    Last edited by X-27; 26-Mar-16 at 21:27.

Wow! This looks so cool
    My Blogspot my 3d development blog. I am at GTM + 2.00 time belt! Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz(quadcore), NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M, 4GB DDR4 RAM, Linux Ubuntu 16.04.
    Worn Tires, Engine Roar, AstrumNetwork.com, Support me in Patreon

My latest progress on the tank. Notice that the gun does not shoot exploding fireballs in air, rather, it has a minigun.

By the way, all the cubes in the background are just placeholders and objects to test the physics on, they will hopefully be pretty arctic scenery in the finished game.
    Last edited by X-27; 18-Mar-16 at 11:28.

What fun is a game is things don't go boom? My latest progress: The drones now have health bars, and the effects are starting to look ppprreeetttyyy.

Looks really promising so far! Can't wait for the environment and graphics to be finalized.
    Better than those who are faster, faster than those who are better . . .
    My ArtStation page | My Blog

I'm planning on making scenery match the prettiness of the effects. Hopefully I'll be able to make a nice looking ice landscape.

Looks great
    If you want to see how I did it, there is a snowy landscape I made in this WIP thread:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...=1#post2982040
    Where in the world am I?

Have I mentioned I like pretty VFX? Progress on the jet-tank's minigun, rather, the jet tank's minigun's bullet's impact effects.

Drone Dogfighting.png

I'm adding sounds now, unfortunately, I can't put up a screenshot of sound. (unless you want to see the waveform) I'm aiming for everything to have a sound, or at least everything noticeable.

The engine sound on the tank sound awesome, and the rocket flame sounds are working great! All good updates need a screenshot, and this is the only way I know how to represent sound in a picture:

Waveform.png

I have also added exhaust to go with the running diesel engine, which makes the tank look and feel a lot more lively.

Awesome! What is the goal? Just to shoot drones and survive?

The environment slowly moves away from lame cubes, and heads to the realm of Arctic landscapes! (notice the faint sky in the distance)

Fire Tank enviorment.png

I have changed the mist settings a tiny bit. I thought the rank was too dulled down before - it looks much better now.

A Frost drone that has nearly killed the tank. I have gone way overboard with the VFX, trying to make this game as pretty as possible.

Are you using any AO? You should try baking some into the tank and models to make it look less flat

Not at the moment. The tank looks way better with AO enabled, so I might implement that later. It will require changing quite a few UV maps though.

You can bake AO to vertex colors.
    I usually use it in combination with nodes materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast