CUDA error at cuModuleLoad: Invalid kernel image

I just installed the latest Blender 2.77, when I try to render (GPU) or switch to rendered view I get this error:CUDA error at cuModuleLoad: Invalid kernel image

The command line give:
Failed loading CUDA kernel /media/Pessoal/Program_Files/Blender/blender-2.77-linux-glibc211-i686/2.77/scripts/addons/cycles/lib/kernel_sm_21.cubin.

CPU works fine, the problem is only with GPU. The previous Blender version I try was 2.73a works with no problem, this is only with 2.77.

Linux Mint 15 with GTX550TI.

Hi, may you have a corrupted download.
Is the kernel_sm_21.cubin at its place?

Cheers, mib

thanks mib,

I don’t believe it’s a corrupt download, but I will download it again just in case.

The place of all the cubin file is the original place when uncompressed, I never touch anything there in any version.

Cheers,jbs

Hi, another thing come in my mind, Blender 2.77 is Cuda 7.5 based.
You need late driver from at least November 2015, iirc.

Only guessing here, mib

I was suspecting that this could be some system related, I’m planing to upgrade my system, Linux Mint 15 is kind of “old”, with a new system probably the problem solve by itself.

thanks mib one more time.

j

What version of the drivers you have? Write this in the terminal and show the result:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

I do not know which version of Ubuntu is based that version of Mint, but I guess that from Mint you can add this PPA to install driver 361:
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Thanks YAFU, the output of the command is:

~ $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 304.88 Wed Mar 27 14:31:12 PDT 2013
GCC version: gcc version 4.7.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.3-1ubuntu1)

j

Mint 15 seems based on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring. System and driver too old. That PPA above does not include packages for that version.
You should update your system, or ask in the Mint forum about how to install nvidia driver from .run file.

Edit:
Another alternative is trying to add the PPA for Ubuntu 14.04 (adding it manually without using “add-apt-repository”), and see if it allows you to install the drive 361.28 (first uninstalling 304.88 that you have currently installed). But no guarantees and I do not know if could arise dependency problems, especially if you have packages related to CUDA toolkit installed

You’re using the 32-bit Linux build, but you most likely have 64-bit Linux installed. Support for 32-bit CUDA applications has been deprecated and may not be available anymore (especially on a 64-bit system). Try running the 64-bit version of Blender instead. If you’re not running a 64-Bit Linux yet, try installing a 64-Bit Linux.

Thanks one more time YAFU and Beer,

I think the best thing to do is update the entire system to the latest version available and make things works from there instead to probably facing with drives/package conflicts etc.

cheers, j

i am having the same problem: only my machine is 32 bit.
did you solve your issue?

I am using the 361 Nvidia proprietary driver
and the blender version in the repository didn’t recognize my card… so I’m using the version I downloaded from the blender site. (I’m on linux mint 18)

OK… GPU rendering works on previous versions of blender (which I downloaded from the official site).
It’s probably a bug in 2.77

Hi,

This is for anyone that happens to stumble upon this thread. I had a similar issue with cycles, and had ample amounts of VRAM for rendering certain scenes and benchmark test files.

I discovered rebooting your system helps because there may be an issue with the Nvidia drivers, and your system may simply need to be rebooted. Another way to fix this issue is switching to a previous driver, and then switching back to the most recent driver. By doing it this way, you also have to reboot your system.

This is just a theory, but trying one or both of these methods may help reset and fix some code linking issues between your OS, the Nvidia drivers, and Blender.

If this doesn’t help, there could be other issues.

So far, things seem to be operating as before. I’ll give it some time, and hopefully this issue doesn’t come up again.

Happy Blending :slight_smile: