Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A MODO artist learns Blender [Newest video: #7 Parenting]

Mouse gestures for Blender, pretty interesting. Thanks! I disagree that it's easy to set up though, it's a pain in the ass. Copy paste command, press add new at the bottom of the category, paste, change keys. Especially not easy when all of the categories close randomly when pressing the add new button. Well not randomly I guess, the search keyword gets cleared when you press the add new button and that messes up the menus somehow. There should just be a duplicate key button that copies the command and places it right below.

Now the question is, what else than viewport views could be useful commands with this method? For now I added rotate edge, subdivide and merge. It feels pretty good, merge is a bit awkward when you have to do it vertex by vertex though, it would probably feel better if you could select a bunch of edges to merge and some other edges to merge them to and merge them in order.

Is there a way to quickly match one object's rotation, location or scale to another object in Blender?
    Like with MODO's ​Drop Action​?

CÚdric told me about this method for matching World Rotation:

1. Select object you want to match to
    2. Hit CTRL+ALT+SPACE to Create Orientation
    3. Select the object you want to change the orientation of
    4. Go Object > Transform > Align to Transform Orientation

This only works for Rotation but not for Location or Scale - and is obviously quite a bit more cumbersome than simply dragging one item on top of the other, as seen in the MODO example.

I was wondering if there's a better and simpler solution in Blender for this type of thing (which also covers location and scale), or if this would be a valid and valuable feature request?

Here are the available Drop Actions in MODO:

Activate this addon:
    https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/E...ttributes_Menu

Or select all the objects, then activate the object you wish to copy from, and right-mouse click the rotation, dimensions, location, etc. field. Choose "copy to selected".

I am unsure whether a method exists to match all settings at once.
    /*----------------------------------------------------*/
    System: Win7 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Thanks for this!
    It's very useful but the "from active to selected" throws me off every time.

I.e. if I have two Suzannes and I select Suzanne A, rotate it as I wish - then I want to apply the same rotation to Suzanne B, when I go SHIFT+Select the second one (with my first Suzanne head still selected after the rotation) and choose CTRL+C > Copy Rotation, the rotation from Suzanne B gets applied to my rotated Suzanne A instead of the other way around.

So I have to:

1. Select Suzanne A
    2. Rotate it as desired
    3. Deselect Suzanne A
    4. Select Suzanne B
    5. SHIFT+Select Suzanne A again
    6. CTRL+C > Copy Rotation

Personally I always think of these things in a From A to B model which is also how I like the selection order to work (which sometimes drives me crazy about the selection order of some deformers and constraints in Maya).

So in all From A to B contexts it would feel a lot more intuitive to me to have the tools behave in a "from selected to active" way.
    Last edited by Chris Offner; 04-Apr-16 at 11:53.

Originally Posted by Chris Offner View Post
    So I have to:

1. Select Suzanne A
    2. Rotate it as desired
    3. Deselect Suzanne A
    4. Select Suzanne B
    5. SHIFT+Select Suzanne A again
    6. CTRL+C > Copy Rotation
    Just shift-select Suzanne B followed by shift-selecting Suzanne A (to make it the active object again).

As for wondering about the point of the active selection, it can be useful in a sense that it can be used as the reference point for rotating and scaling in object mode and serve as the starting point for various tools (along with the selection thing) in editmode (such as the follow active quads unwrap option).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Adding a Copy Transform object constraint is easier. If you don't want to copy everything you can choose between Copy Location/Rotation and so on. If you want to remove the constraint but keep the location and everything you can do Apply Visual Transform before removing it.

Thanks for both those comments.

I didn't know you could make an already selected item the active one again simply by SHIFT+clicking it another time. That removes one annoying step in my previous run down but still leaves one additional unnecessary click compared to if the Copy Attributes add-on worked in a "from selected to active" way.

Not sure how a Copy Transform constraint would be faster for a single one-time transfer of attributes though.

1. Select Suzanne A
    2. Rotate it as desired
    3. SHIFT+Select Suzanne B
    4. SHIFT+Select Suzanne A again to make it active
    5. CTRL+C > Copy Rotation

seems faster than

1. Select Suzanne A
    2. Rotate it as desired
    3. Select Suzanne B
    4. Add Object Constraint > Copy Rotation
    5. Select Suzanne A as the Target
    6. Object > Apply (or CTRL+A) > Visual Transform
    7. Delete Copy Rotation Constraint

Also, shouldn't it be Source rather than Target in the Constraint's properties? I'm sourcing the rotation from Suzanne A and applying it to the target Suzanne B.

All those options are slower than simply dragging Suzanne B on Suzanne A as it would be in MODO though.
    Last edited by Chris Offner; 04-Apr-16 at 12:17.

For speed sake if you have only two objects in the scene do whatever to the first object then hit A twice then Ctrl+C.
    If you have multiple object select what you want to transform and go in local mode.

You don't need to remove the constraint if you don't want to. That way it's three clicks. Or you can select both and press shift+ctrl+c. But if speed is what you want just write a script/addon.

Originally Posted by Chris Offner View Post
    Thanks for both those comments.

I didn't know you could make an already selected item the active one again simply by SHIFT+clicking it another time. That removes one annoying step in my previous run down but still leaves one additional unnecessary click compared to if the Copy Attributes add-on worked in a "from selected to active" way.

Not sure how a Copy Transform constraint would be faster for a single one-time transfer of attributes though.

1. Select Suzanne A
    2. Rotate it as desired
    3. SHIFT+Select Suzanne B
    4. SHIFT+Select Suzanne A again to make it active
    5. CTRL+C > Copy Rotation

All those options are slower than simply dragging Suzanne B on Suzanne A as it would be in MODO though.
    If you know in advance that all the objects will share the same transforms, a simpler method would be to switch to individual origins, select both or more objects, and then transform all the objects in one go.
    System: Win7 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Is there a way to introduce randomisation in the Location, Rotation and Scale of an Array in Blender like you can with MODO's Replicator?

Last edited by Chris Offner; 04-Apr-16 at 13:09.

The Array modifier in Blender has no such randomization mode (and is unlikely to see it as work continues to move such non-destructive modeling to a node-based workflow).

However, you can have randomized transforms if you use particle instances instead (create a particle system and set their visualization as an object). You will need to have a mesh in the scene first to serve as the emitter (though you can hide it for rendering).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Aah, node-based procedural modelling workflows? Interesting - where can I read more about this development in Blender?

And thank you, I'll look into Particle Instances then!

There's also the 'randomize transforms' operator, but it work only in selections of objects...

for arrays you need to apply the array, go into edit mode, and separate 'by loose parts'.

about node procedurals there's Sverchok addon.
    Last edited by Secrop; 04-Apr-16 at 13:27.

Another way to randomize the location of your objects is to use this great Add-On - Animation Nodes :

http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...nimation-Nodes

Here is a Video with some examples. Reminds me of c4d┤s mograph system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlUhlkxQZU

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfh4J0Qpdjk
    Aka: VONNOWAK and Ihatedesign - http://vonnowak.com/

Another option is to create a plane, subdivide, and parent Suzanne to the plane. Then open the object tab, and under duplication use either verts or faces.

Select a vertex, and use a proportional fall off.

This will work with any surface. And it is non-destructive. You can keep working on the parent object in edit mode for additional vertices.

The only thing missing is the random rotation. However, you do have the option for all the dupli-suzannes to stare at the original object.

Also play around with transforming the verts/faces, and throwing the dupli object in an array :-P

To create randomization of rotation, create a subdivided plane, then in edit mode use Edge Split on all faces. This will create individual faces. Use the duplication-->faces, and randomize the faces, Turn on "scale" to randomize the scale of the duplicated objects as well.

PS If you are worried about the faces being visible in the view: when rendered, the parent object is hidden. If the visible faces bug you, enter edit mode, turn on individual origins, and scale them down so that they are hidden by the duplicated object. Then increase the inherit scale value under duplication.

Dupliverts and duplifaces cannot be hidden without the generated duplicates being hidden as well.

https://youtu.be/i2G3AL7DH14
    Last edited by Herbert123; 04-Apr-16 at 15:31.

Blender doesn't have an alternative to Modo's channel haul popup, which I would love. I use drivers and properties a lot, and it would be great to be able to control those with a popup in the viewport instead of having to navigate a pretty cluttered 'N' panel.

Okay now this is seriously cool!
    Campbell Barton ported freehand drawing from OpenToonz to Blender! Here's a quick test I just did.

Just to be clear and not misleading: I wrote MODO & Blender merely because that's the name of my video series here.
    MODO wasn't actually involved in anything you see in this GIF at all.

So cool. And an addon so we can use it right away
    Cheers, David ___________"awesome in space and other places".
    ________Follow me on twitter @3pointedit
    _____________ Check the Youtube Channel for tutorials. Or my Sketchbook

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast