Where's my bones?

Hi,

I’ve only started using blender this year so I’m still a newbie. (using v 2.76)

I’m currently following a series youtube tutorial of how to animate a mech. So I’ve completed modelling the mech and I have rigged it. I’m now trying to animate it.

According the tutorial I’m on, it is telling me to go to change the screen layout from default to animation and once I do that I am supposed to start moving around the bones of my model to make it move. However, when I do switch to the animation layout I cannot see any bones. I’ve typed ‘alt - h’ and ticked the ‘x-ray’ box on the object data menu to my right and so far I have no luck.

Can anyone point me to the right direction please?

Thank you.

EDIT: I’ve uploaded blend file and here’s link for the tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDnZroK28c

Attachments

Robo13Blend.blend (688 KB)

You can rigging/animation etc in the default view if you wish. If you see them in the default view then use that, you can always just split the view to add other windows if you wish to exactly match the animation layout if you really want to do that

Where is your .blend file so that we can actually see what you can see. The lights are all out here as we apparently have to work in the dark

To the right of the layer check boxes in the 3D view header, there is a button there is a button with a layer??? Looks like a piece of paper, with a chain link… If it’s unelected the selected layers won’t carry over to other screens…

Just guessing…

(Also might help to know which tutorial so that any differences between versions could be pointed out.)

Oh yeah!

I’ve posted the link for it.

Not a bad idea. I’ll give it a go. I have uploaded my .blend file now.

This is a bit strange. In the 3d view you’re in local view so if you press spacebar and search for local view you can go to the normal view, after that the bones stay visible even if you change to the animation workspace. Kind of seems like a bug.

Thank you, Cyaoeu. (and everyone else who posted)

Problem solved :slight_smile: