BGMC 20 | My Feathered Familiar v1

Hi, this is my entry for the Blender game making contest #20
It’s about a magical bird creature who is the familiar of a powerful wizard.
The wizard keeps some other birds, (his defeated and magically transformed enemies) in a number of large aviaries.
Some important scrolls have gone missing and you’ve got to go and find them.
Bring them back to a hole in the glass to proceed to the next level.

Try to get a high score!
New version available with some big fixes:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fz86wrqg9sc80oh/feathered_familiar_v1_2.zip

Attachments

And here’s a game play video.

May I suggest putting it on Gamejolt?

Yep. I would like to add a couple of extra things before I do though. Since it was for a BGMC I couldnt add any of my pre-existing assets but Ive got some other enemies Id like to add, some plants and Id also like to make a couple of extra tile sets. I also need to set up the menu a bit better to include the gamejolt UI for high scores and awards. Then I’ll put it on game jolt and a couple of other places maybe.

Nice! When following progress of this game it was looking so promising all the time. When pack gets released, I am sure I’ll enjoy this game!:slight_smile:

/uploads/default/original/4X/0/3/c/03cdd00e9f7b834503e7a1a7a20a1ab2982298d7.pngstc=1

A high score to beat!

Attachments

Wow, the visuals are top notch and gameplay looks smooth. The only thing that i would have like more is probably some texture on the background (instead of the black void) … did you have that in mind?

Thanks!
I wanted to add more tilesets, like more windows and more variation of the walls but didn’t have time this week.

For anyone who want to you can play the game on Gamejolt. There’s and EXE file there.

Just played it,
very nice graphics,
it’s challenging and fun to play.

(my score was 8000 or something ;p)

I like the bird,great character/animations.Great game!! I ended up on level 14 of about 35000points:)

I’m gunna have to try out this and your other games on Gamejolt when I get to a different 'puter. Gamejolt is pretty disheartening to post games to. All those stupid FNAF fan games. Ew.

Edit: Played it. Pretty cool. I didn’t know there is a rain effect :cool: Why is there a delay when any bird gets hurt?

hiscore of 72k… i played it alot today. :smiley: what process do you use for texturing your models? i love it!

Thanks, I use texture painting.

Well, the game is tile based, but it isn’t turn based. That means a bird can get killed or hurt while moving from one tile to another.
I considered having them be able to take damage and fall halfway through movement between tiles, but the state system I used would have needed a few extra states so I went for the easy option at the time. It also would have required me to block two squares while moving instead of one to avoid enemies walking on top of each other. That wouldn’t work so well in the smaller rooms.

It’s something I’ve been thinking about with a future project… is it better to have the agent stop between tiles (potentially blocking two tiles) or just wait for them to complete their move before being affected by attacks or other things?

Thanks to a “let’s play…” video on you tube by FellowPlayerI found and fixed a whole bunch of bugs tonight.

You can download the fixed blend file here:

Fixes include:

• Fixed a bug where you couldn’t progress beyond level 15.
  • Fixed a bug where dying with zero lives didn’t take you back to the main menu.
  • Fixed keymapping so “Dive” is evaluated before other commands.
  • Made health carry over from level to level instead of resetting to 3 each time.
  • added some more health potions to balance this.

I won level 15, with 62,000 pts. the game never moved on to level 16.

Animations Look really Good … Well done man.
Graphics are cool though !!!

Other than my game, this one is my favorite

Really nice work as usual. Animation and artwork is awesome, and fun too.

Thanks everyone, I had a lot of fun making this game, hope you had fun playing it. :smiley:

Really cool!