BGMC20 | Someone like Me

/uploads/default/original/4X/e/a/5/ea543fb3b59f640a310d05e62274775f483b068a.pngstc=1

The first thing that popped up in our heads when we heard the theme flying was that it was limited to the classic arcade-style games, but the more we thought it through we realized that the possibilities were endless. What makes flying exciting? The same thing that seeing the sun after being indoors for three days. Someone like me begins in a small crawled desaturated space to make the new world feels as special as possible, which our main character gets to when he discover that he’s able to walk through a painting.

Someone like Me is made by me and my girlfriend. Together we designed the level, mashed ideas and try to make it both enjoyable and atmospheric. The style is loosely based on a movie poster we saw at the subway this I for some reason am able to discover in my mind palace. We aimed for a more arty style rather that something that only felt childish, which is a fine line. To some degree we thing we’ve achieved that.

We hope you enjoy this short adventure-platform-puzzle game and find yourself.

Because some complicated we give you two versions, one that was handed in right on time which isn’t able to finish because of a bug. The other version has that bug removed but was handed in the morning after.

First relese: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3zug8sqaptb8hf/BGMC20_dempa89.blend?dl=0
Later fix (Recommended): https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9xp8jkey56tqzh/BGMC20_dempa89_Bugfix.blend?dl=0

Attachments

Great. I look forward to playing it. :slight_smile:

downloading… Would you mind throwing in a screenshot?

I was i such a rush yesterday I had time for absolutely nothing. I apologize for the very weak first impression. The first post is now updated and hopefully awakes a bit more interest. Hope you enjoy it! (And as you may och may not noticed was the first version with a few bugs that made it impossible to finish, a link for an updated version of the game is also available right below the original link.)

Looking forward to play all the entries!

Really great and atmospheric entry to the competition as always deeempa89.
I got stuck inside one of the rocks when re-spawning after the waterfall island, and haven’t got enough time to go through it all again right now, but I’ll try again later.
it might be good to respawn at a point before the vortex otherwise it’s easy to get lost.

Also I’m not an inverted mouse person. :slight_smile: it would be nice to have an option to change mouse up and down axis.
(I’ll do it manually in game when I replay it tomorrow).

Anyway, all round a great game so far. I look forward to finishing it. I loved the whistle puzzle, nice idea. :smiley:

I’m glad to hear that you seems to like it! I hadn’t as much time as I would like partwiess from being sick, therefore it isn’t as polished as say Rainbow were. Some fix that will be made is off course to set the spawning point a few meters before the edge. The idea of having him being a bit higher up after respawn is great, will probably fix some of the falling through at respawn. This game isn’t ready to be break-tested yet, a lot to fix. However I hope that it won’t get too much in the way of the game itself.

As always with these short projects you got to skip some ideas to be able to actually made a finished product (Well, this is pretty is much an Alpha-demo), so apart from the whistle puzzle (which were about to make a comeback with more notes) we would have added other ways to start new winds on the island and winds that only were active for a short time. At some more of them so you would had to figure out in which way to start the winds to be able to pass that part of the level.

And will I add an inverted-Mouse-function in newer version? Yes. Would I thought about it if you hadn’t told me? No. I’m so used to playing that saw that I don’t even reflect on it. Thanks for your feedback!

I’ve added a video from another update of the game, which includes some reanimation, added cutscenes, better working respawn function etc. You can view it either at the top post of below:

The framedrop is from the video recording. Doesn’t have any good tool of knowledge of that therefore it is what it is.