Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BGMC 20: All-games pack, voting and showcase

BGMC 20 is concluded (and has been, for a little while).
    Congrats everyone!

Update: Voting is over.
    Congratulations to Smoking_mirror!

View the full results here

It's high time the voting got underway.
    As mentioned before, voting is really more like category-based rating this time:

• 1 vote per game, but you can vote on as many games as you like.
    • Each vote consists of a 1-5 evaluation in 7 categories.
    • The game with the highest total score of all categories combined takes first (but it will be interesting to see which games do better in specific categories)

Submit your rating here, sometime within the next week (deadline is 2016-04-6)

But first, play the games and have fun!
    Download all the games in one bundle here.

Or individually:

If I missed any games, please tell me.

Enjoy!

In case you are wondering what took so long, the fact is I never found an existing online pole system that quite met the requirements. So I implemented my own.
    If anyone is worried about the possible biases involved with an entrant running the voting system, worry no more.
    I'm not competing for the prize, but I'm curious to see if anyone liked my game (or at least which parts were hated the least ), so I'm leaving it in the voting. Since voting for multiple games is allowed, this shouldn't affect the results.
    Last edited by gandalf3; 06-Apr-16 at 19:04. Reason: Add Clashed

I'd like to see my game here, it's: Clashed

It's actually nice that I can download pack without my game
    Oh, by the way, the rating system is great. Do you check the IP to tell if somebody has voted twice?
    Last edited by adriansnetlis; 30-Mar-16 at 07:54.
    My Blogspot my 3d development blog. I am at GTM + 2.00 time belt! Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz(quadcore), NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M, 4GB DDR4 RAM, Linux Ubuntu 16.04.
    Worn Tires, Engine Roar, AstrumNetwork.com, Support me in Patreon

Good enough games for BGMC 20...congratulations to all! This system of vote is excellent-Great job gandalf3! @adriansnetlis why would anyone vote twice?....we all do for fun and not for profit and still should watch the ip address?....you don't want too after him? ....LOL...You just don't win
    Last edited by Mistran; 30-Mar-16 at 09:46.

Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Good enough games for BGMC 20...congratulations to all! This system of vote is excellent-Great job gandalf3! @adriansnetlis why would anyone vote twice?....we all do for fun and not for profit and still should watch the ip address?....you don't want too after him? ....LOL...You just don't win
    I am just caring of security I don't want anyone to vote twice(even if he does all 5-star for my game). I want it to be fair. However, I am sure that this community is fair
    My Blogspot my 3d development blog. I am at GTM + 2.00 time belt! Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz(quadcore), NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M, 4GB DDR4 RAM, Linux Ubuntu 16.04.

Originally Posted by adriansnetlis View Post
    Oh, by the way, the rating system is great. Do you check the IP to tell if somebody has voted twice?
    You won't get the IP of the user, you'll be getting a CloudFlare IP which could be different whenever you login

I assume we shouldn't vote for our own games?
    I didn't but I don't see it mentioned explicitly anywhere so I guess someone could if they got confused...

Great job to all that took part. It was really fun and as usual I really enjoyed making a complete game.

See how Richard said, it's not even technically possible, the community is fair, I'm sure.
    I look forward to the results,not many games anyway, I waited more
    ......Smoking_mirror's game is my favorite
    Last edited by Mistran; 31-Mar-16 at 14:56.

Originally Posted by Smoking_mirror View Post
    I assume we shouldn't vote for our own games?
    I didn't but I don't see it mentioned explicitly anywhere so I guess someone could if they got confused...

Great job to all that took part. It was really fun and as usual I really enjoyed making a complete game.
    Well, there's nothing stopping you. And if everyone 5-stars their own game, nothing really changes :P
    As a matter of fact, if everyone votes for themselves, then no-one can gain an advantage by doing the same (not that I think anyone here would do that ).

Let me put it this way: I won't vote for mine if you don't vote for yours

Originally Posted by adriansnetlis View Post
    I'd like to see my game here, it's: Clashed

It's actually nice that I can download pack without my game
    Yikes, 200MB! Ah well, I guess no one downloading the pack on a slow internet connection will mind much more than they mind the current 300MB..
    Still, I don't suppose there's any way you could get the size down a bit? (I see 50MB worth of what looks like old .blend/.blend1 files)

There is some duplicate checking, but it's easily circumnavigated if one wants to. It's really more there to prevent accidental duplicate votes than anything

Originally Posted by gandalf3 View Post
    Yikes, 200MB! Ah well, I guess no one downloading the pack on a slow internet connection will mind much more than they mind the current 300MB..
    Still, I don't suppose there's any way you could get the size down a bit? (I see 50MB worth of what looks like old .blend/.blend1 files)

There is some duplicate checking, but it's easily circumnavigated if one wants to. It's really more there to prevent accidental duplicate votes than anything
    hm... I don't know if there's something unneeded. When creating pack you can, of course, delete .blend1 files. They're not needed.

Hey could you do me a favor and put the updated version of my game into the pack because I fixed something to make my game faster on slow computers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oyy4mh9gm...0Game.zip?dl=1
    My YouTube channel | My Blendswap profile | Current Project: Infinite Ammo

I sell custom logos for $5 (among other things). Check them out!

I also updated Arctic Drones with all the textures packed properly. the version in the all games pack works fine, but the "you win" and "you lose" screens don't look very good pink. The level 7 mission prompt is also pink, but everything else should be there.

The updated version on my finished game thread has those textures fixed.

How'd it turn out? Voting is over right?

It is bad that we could not keep track of the results of the vote somewhere, or I missed something?
    It was always thrilling...who wins
    Last edited by Mistran; 06-Apr-16 at 13:26.

When will the results be revealed?
    My YouTube channel | My Blendswap profile | Current Project: Infinite Ammo

I sell custom logos for $5 (among other things). Check them out!

Yes, votes are over (I seem to have waited a day too long.. Thanks timezones..)

The results can be viewed here.

From what I can see the this result isn't based on the average score, but rather the numbers of stars. This would be fine if it weren't the case that the game with the fewest ratings had 12 and the one with the most had 22, the results of that would be that if both had the average score of 3 the one with 12 rates would get 36 stars while the other one would get 66 stars. Right now the results is almost directly connected to numbers of rating with F-escape as the exception. I find this unfair and think the average score is a much fairer way of judge.

By judging the games by it averages score the result would be follow:
    1. Clashed with an average of 3.30
    2. Someone like Me with an average of 3.298
    3. Birds of a Feather
    with an average of 3.281
    4. BeeSpeed
    with an average of 3.27
    5. Arctic Drones
    with an average of 3.248
    6. My Feathered Familiar with an average of 3.23
    7. Air Superiority
    with an average of 3.14
    8. F-escape
    with an average of 3,08

The full calculation can be viewed below. The final results is made by dividing the total score with the numbers of categories, in this case Total score/7.

Clashed
    2,98+2,98+3,79+3,61+3,16+3,23+3,37=23,12
    Average: 3.30

Someone like Me
    2,98+2,97+3,78+3,6+3,12+3,25+3,39=23,09
    Average: 3.298

Birds of a Feather
    2,87+3,03+4,01+3,51+3,1+3,01+3,44=22,97
    Average: 3.281

BeeSpeed
    2,71+3,14+3,98+3,47+3,17+2,95+3,5=22,92
    Average: 3.27

Arctic Drones
    2,76+3,16+3,87+3,53+2,97+2,92+3,53=22,74
    Average: 3.248

My Feathered Familiar
    2,84+2,93+3,75+3,61+3,06+3,09+3,33=22,61
    Average: 3.23

Air Superiority
    1,88+2,88+4,65+3,53+2,88+2,82+3,35=21,99
    Average: 3.1414

F-escape
    2,77+2,83+3,64+3,36+2,88+2,88+3,2=21,56
    Average: 3,08
    If some of you disagree or would like to correct me, let me know.

However, it was a fun theme overall. A couple of really nice entries!
    Last edited by deeempa89; 07-Apr-16 at 02:25.

I'm not sure why some games got more ratings than others. I voted for all the games (except mine) but I guess that people who didn't take part but voted did so only for the games they played. If they didn't play a game there must have been a reason, like they couldn't get it to work or the game was a late entry.

BTW I enjoyed all the entries. Arctic drones was my favorite since it was a lot of fun and it was interesting to follow the development throughout in the WIP thread. I also didn't have to make any changes to get it to work on my PC.

In any case, congratulations to everyone! It was a great competition and a really interesting theme.
    Last edited by Smoking_mirror; 07-Apr-16 at 03:13.

Thanks for the feedback
    One thing to consider is that the number ratings can itself be an indicator of a game's popularity.
    If people vote for their favorite games, it doesn't make sense to me to compensate for that when that's the very thing we want to measure.

The way I presented the voting as "rating" may be to blame, as I guess "rating" almost implies a potential for a negative vote, i.e. 1 star is worse than no star. But to be clear, I imagined these as "votes" from start to finish (no vote is worse than any vote).

The method for adding up votes was stated at the beginning of the contest (though perhaps not in the clearest way).

That said, what's over is done. The results for this contest are final, but perhaps the voting system can be rethought and more clearly defined for the next BGMC. That, however, is now up to Smoking_mirror

To me it doesn't make sense that a game with an lower average score wins over multiply with higher because it had more judges. That's like Hannah Montana - The Movie would would surpass 2001 - A Space Odessey because it got more reviews and doesn't measure what score the review gave.

Do you see my point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast