Thoughts on the Spacepilot Pro?

I currently use a Spacemouse Wireless in Blender (it’s great) but I keep lusting after the array of useful-looking buttons on the SpacePilot Pro. Since I can (for a short time) get an educational discount on that particular model, I’m being tempted. I’m just concerned that it might not meet my expectations, and it’s a lot of money (even discounted) to throw at something only to be disappointed.

I have read the Spacemice Wiki and it says"Limited Functionality". I’m wondering what the limits are.

Basic question: Can I map all of the useful-looking buttons on the SpacePilot to actually do something useful in Blender? Does it help? What is limited about the functionality?

I’m interested in any opinions on particular model from those who have it.

If it matters, I use Windows 7 64-bit and will also be using the SpacePilot in Second Life, with the ‘fix’ in Windows’ hardware properties to make it work in the viewer.

Depends on what you’re going to use it for.

I can guess that it might work well with a tablet if you’re going to be drawing or sculpting but other then that, you don’t really need anything other then a mouse and keyboard.

I used to use SpacePilot until I discovered Logitech G13 gamepad. As a shortcut user, Spacepilot’s biggest drawback is it doesn’t have enough programmable keys for 3D programs. G13 fixes that with its powerful programmable key feature which let you bind complex key strokes with mouse clicks into one key (aka Macro).

G13 is a lot cheaper and much more powerful than Spacepilot for power users. Check it out before you buy Spacepilot. My 2nd gen spacepilot is somewhere in the storage…

Interesting point about the G13. I’ve looked at that before, not for use with Blender though and never thought of it for that.

I’m quite attached to using my Spacemouse for looking around what I’m building though. It’s like second nature now and I don’t think I want to move away from that. I just need more buttons around it.

At the moment I’m just doing things like furniture and buildings; easy stuff and learning the basics of Blender and 3D designing in general. I like the look of the sculpting video clip though, using the spacemouse plus mouse. So who knows what I’ll be doing tomorrow…

For about 2 years straight I too was very attached to the Spacepilot, but left it in the storage room once I’ve realized G13 can do everything Spacepilot does and a whole lot more. One advantage spacepilot has over G13 is the smooth camera movement in slow movement like an architectural walk-through.

I use four different 3D software, remembering their the commonly used functions’ shortcuts is impossible. With G13, I program zoom function on the same key for all four software, so I just need to remember which key does what no matter which software I’m using. That comes VERY handy for Blender’s unique UI, I probably would have given up learning Blender if it wasn’t for G13. Anyway, that’s my two cents. Everyone has different work habits, stick with the one you’re most comfortable with. Peace.

Hey, I’d love to take a look at your blender profile for the g13

I use spacepilot pro at work for Solidworks and I loved it from the first hour.
I have not yet figured out how to use it for Blender. It does “something”, but not what I’m used to from Solidworks, so I can’t use it for Blender stuff. That said, even in Solidworks wrt drivers it does have its quirks.

I totally agree. I use SketchUp at work every day, and navigating with the spacemouse is second nature at this point. and remapping all the buttons to common functions, combined with the modifiers to get even more tools, is an absolute must.

I’d love to get the same level of interaction within Blender, but it’s so much more finicky to map things to the spacenavigator’s buttons.

does the spacepilot pro have better luck? may be time for an upgrade.

Sketchup and Space Navigator was perfect, no calibration required. I also use 3dconnexion with Daz Studio, Google Earth and Poser with consistent behavior. I just installed Blender 2 days ago, glad to know it’s part of the Blender SDK for some years now.

NOTE: Blender ignores 3Dconnexion standard Properties 6DOF calibration, only allow buttons configuration (in my case only 2). Behaved erratic in the viewport. Took some serious Googling before I found where the calibration panel is (If one of your 3D mouse button is set to Properties, use that to trigger a Blender specific Properties panel while in 3D view).

This is my “Sketchup-like” setttings.

However, I later found out Blender “disabled” PAN LEFT/RIGHT and PAN UP/DOWN.

You need to hold down Shift and Ctrl Shift and steer the mouse to pan screenspace!:frowning:

This is Blender’s quirk, and standard mouse command. But it defeats the whole idea of 6DOF (six degrees of freedom) of 3Dconnexion mouse. Reduced my 3D mouse to basically orbit the selected item with mild zooming. Good luck if you need to edit skyscrapers or vertical objects close-up!

That is my experience so far. It works. But the integration is last generation.