Viewing and retargeting animations from FBX

Hey folks,

First time here. I have a question on something I’ve been trying to figure out all night. I’ve done a ton of google searching and I don’t know if I’m missing something or not. My blender skills are as beginner as you can get and I’m trying to do something that I THINK is possible but I’m not sure how to accomplish it.

I am using another tool to create 3D models. I then bring those models into blender to rig. I struggled my way through doing a humanoid rig so I could use it in Unity but I’ve made it work. When I want to do a new model I import it in, adjust the skeleton slightly, re-parent and export it.

But now I’ve come to the point where I am doing non-humaniod monsters. With those I don’t have the luxury of simply buying animations from the Unity Asset Store so I’ve been trying to do a little test. I want to take a pre-made model that is close to what I want, apply the bones to that model in the same way I’d do a human model and then have the animations attached to the original model translate over.

As a test I found a free asset on the asset store that has a set of animations. I downloaded it (comes as a FBX) and imported it into blender. I see that the bones are there (they look a little funny though) but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to see the animations. If I double click the FBX and open it with the windows 10 built in 3D Builder application I can see at least one animation but I don’t know enough about blender to see the animations there.

Hopefully someone can help me with this!
Here is the link to the asset
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45319

I have also attached the FBX itself.
Comp.zip (2.52 MB)

Animations can be selected/changed with the Action editor. It’s a sub editor of the dope sheet.

I’ll leave your other questions for the Unity and FBX nutters.

Good luck!

Attachments

You can see the animations by selecting the rig, going to the dope sheet - action editor and clicking the drowdown arrow. For the bones you can try Automatic Bone Orientation when importing.

Thanks folks! This is exactly what I need!
I will give this a quick try when I get home from work!