System Build Review

I’m looking to build a computer, as I have been working on a laptop for a long time, and have hit performance limits (ie integrated graphics). I’ve been looking at components for a couple months now, and have stuck together a build list at PCPartPicker and would like some feedback. It will be my first desktop build.

Link: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/Bn4qYJ
Budget: 1500NZD (a hair under 1000USD)
Intended Purpose: Game development, modelling, performing experiments on random algorithms (but not actually playing games)

System Overview:[TABLE=“class: grid, width: 500”]

Part

Model Name/description

CPU

I7-6700. Stock cooler

Motherboard

Gigabyte H110M Micro-ATX DDR4

RAM

Crucial or Adata 8gb DDR4

GPU

GTX970 Asus, short version

Hard Drive

Adata 240gb SSD

PSU

Corsair CS650

Case

Silverstone PS08

[/TABLE]

Currently the build is just a touch over my ideal budget, so I’m considering dropping the PSU to a 550W, and possibly dropping the SSD to 120gb (I’ll be using a 2TB disk I’ve got lying around at home anyway).

Feedback? Comments? Concerns?

I suggest you install the OS and the software you use often to the SSD to for faster computer.

I second what Stark Design said and would add that you should go for the 240 GB ssd. Windows will take a huge chunk of that. I have windows and UE4 editor on my 120GB ssd and I only have about 15 GBs left on it!

Well it’s done. For about $1100 USD I have a new computer. I made a couple changes, changing around brands and whatnot. It cost me a little more because of it, but the parts are higher quality (IMO). In the end I dished out an extra $30 for the ASUS Strix 970 as it turns it’s fans completely off when it doesn’t need them.

I only got the GPU last night, so I haven’t done much with it yet, but It has demolished every task I’ve thrown at it so far.

I’ve currently got Windows 10 and Arch Linux on the 240gb SSD, and will chuck in a 2TB disc at some point (I have one lying around, currently plugged into a raspberry pi acting as a FTP server)

System looks good :slight_smile: Depending on how cool your case is you might want to keep an eye on CPU temps and maybe get an after market cooler for it.