Toonish medieval game, trying out the low poly road

I always wanted to make a simple medieval-fantasy game, never got the chance, but some extended vacations are coming here in my country (mid year vacation + olympic games break) so I will already do what I can before I get the said big free time

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OcZdhtPclgA/V32VHi3oEaI/AAAAAAAABqE/07OnM9kDWXYhuJ7a7xVJQD2vpiewAiBYwCLcB/s1600/LowPoly_female_medieval_bgevinicius.png

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VCZj6KQTERA/V3rs3J6r39I/AAAAAAAABpU/NgnSX6vrTWIvNpgNaJQYodsKIlpbcqwIQCLcB/s1600/monster_bgevinicius_blender_low_poly.gif

Gameplay ideas:
Top-down view

When in a fight:

• I don’t want the player to succeed based on his skill to aim properly, so the game will have auto-aim

• I don’t want the player to succeed based on his timing reflex skill to dodge enemy attacks, so you will have to move away from the attacks like a normal-not-ninja-person

• I don’t want the player to succeed based on his memory (after dying 10 times) of where the enemy attack is gonna land, so maybe I’ll show from the start the area where it will land

Basically Dark Souls for babies, but doing this I could make the player be more tactical instead of relying only on his dodge skills

If possible, make it look like a turn-based game, by making player attacks slow so he needs to choose the right time to make his attack or else he will trade hits with the enemy.

Attachments

It looks great. 36 polys is not too many for a sword.

Thanks man
that’s actually vertices count tho (and a confusing one, I bet that 36 is incorrect, it’s more like 40)
I didn’t want to make all faces triangles before counting them /: lazy lazy

With the time I had today I removed that black line around the green rock, and made another sword, a bronze sword, my favorite kind

I hate the handle, looks like a brick wall, I’ll try again later

Btw its around 70 faces, because of that quite complex guard

Attachments

Very beautiful work mate, I really enjoy this art style! Could you write us some more info about your project, it would be lovely. :slight_smile: Are you going for a platform game ala Wonder Boy games or for an RPG? Either way I’ll follow this project for sure!

Yeah. It’s an very pleasing style. I’ll keep my eye on this one.
I’d suggest going for about 1-2 thousand polys per character for good performance in the BGE.
It’s fine to do less than that though if you’re going for a specific style.
Weapons should be about 10% of the total number.

Thanks guys

Right now I’m not really having the time to work properly in a project, so, for now, I’m just testing some things

But I can say i’m being inspired by: Dark souls (1), Dragon age (3), and Legend of Zelda (ALTTP)

About the style, I’m not so sure about how simple I should make my models, today I tried to make parts of characters, and geesh, I don’t know if I should make a nose or not, or how detailed I should make the eye area and so on

The freedom to do anything in anyway can become confusing

Anyway, here are the tests, I quickly painted it just to have a proper preview

Attachments

I’ve been following your work on Blogger since I learned about “Território Aéreo”, my favorite Blender game!
Even for a quick sketch, it’s impressive how you mixed the style of multiple games. If possible I’d love to see more color variations! (Maybe a scar in one eye? He’d look like a real villain!)

Outstanding work! I hope you keep it up :wink:

p.s: C’mon, we have some cognates in common!

Oh my, hi there, thank you man, I’m sorry about not having the time to… well… to do anything, university is killing me

About the model, I didn’t like it at all since the start so I think I’ll try again from zero :frowning:

Here are some tests I made with it

Attachments

Wow very cool pixelated lowpoly style. I´m interested to see where this is going!

Wow!!! Man the character is fantastic and extremely low poly, I don’t think that you should worry at all about reducing more the poly level, and I guess that you want to make an open world game with multiple enemies simultaneously, or else I’m sure you could use more detail for the sprites (for example if you planned to make it Dark Souls style that doesn’t have too many enemies in each level) but you work is really great, and at least to me, I really liked the first model and texture too but it’s your decision and of course it’s great that you didn’t stay on a already good model design and you are looking to enhance it.

The scar idea is nice too. Also, personally I really like this art style for a metroidvania game and more specifically for a game very similar to Castlevania( which is really missing since Konami decided to stop the series). What do you think about that? :slight_smile:

Anyway, good luck with your studies mate and keep up the great work! I’m looking forward to see new stuff from this project too! :slight_smile:

Wow!!! Man the character is fantastic and extremely low poly, I don’t think that you should worry at all about reducing more the poly level, and I guess that you want to make an open world game with multiple enemies simultaneously, or else I’m sure you could use more detail for the sprites (for example if you planned to make it Dark Souls style that doesn’t have too many enemies in each level) but you work is really great, and at least to me, I really liked the first model and texture too but it’s your decision and of course it’s great that you didn’t stay on a already good model design and you are looking to enhance it.

The scar idea is nice too. Also, personally I really like this art style for a metroidvania game and more specifically for a game very similar to Castlevania( which is really missing since Konami decided to stop the series). What do you think about that? :slight_smile:

Anyway, good luck with your studies mate and keep up the great work! I’m looking forward to see new stuff from this project too! :slight_smile:

Thanks guys :wink:

Pagio, I don’t want to rush things up, but the metroidvania vibe would naturally be in this project indeed
And thanks for the feedback, and yea I think I’ll go for something like the first try, but I gave that idea a break for now

This time I wanted to try another kind of character, I’ll get back to that last one later

Much much easier to do, he is still kinda… bald, but tomorrow I’ll add some stuff to solve this problem, screws and lines representing metal layers for example

Attachments

Waw I love the pixelated ambient occlusion

Are you coding this ?

do you need any help?

systems?

I can rig up just about anything until I run out of art :smiley:

[URL="/u/BluePrintRandom

Sorry guys, I got sick this week, “Zika”, a bullshit viruz that is going on my country, but now I’m better

@BluePrintRandom , Thank you man, but I’m not thinking about codes for now, design time

Getting back to the tests, the helmet is done so I’m doing some research on chest pieces

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rmRB2nA5iO0/VxwoY8Ldk8I/AAAAAAAABlo/rWssczTGATcHg1uKJEeuXFV-UgdeYC3nACLcB/s1600/helm.png

Looks fantastic! : D
Keep at it!

Your art is incredible. I have so many issues when it comes to texturing. xD I suck at texturing. My UV maps are good, but when it comes to colors I am blehhkkk.

Seriously though. Good job. I appreciate this.

Thank you guys :wink:

Being honest here, I ended up playing Dark Souls 3 in my free this week, but after going through the game twice and having fun with some random things I think I’m ready to move on

Getting back to the medieval toonish game, first of all I tried some body shapes, I don’t want it to be realistic, I wan’t it to be simple and chubby (I’m still not happy with the legs)

And I keep thinking about how to make a good looking armor, real life heavy armors are really bad looking, so I end up using games armors as references
I chose manly dark souls ones because they are not so crazy fantasy-like, but I’m still having some trouble because most armors have a lot of cloth over the metal parts, and I do not want mines to be like this

Anyway, I’m doing this model, and I painted over with MsPaint like a late concept art

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pg_JxqpwPHU/Vytptf042sI/AAAAAAAABmY/XaQuUKF6IJMQR4hZXgTn6emgPV4BZYi5QCLcB/s1600/testttt2.png

And this is a model I made some months ago when I first tried this kind of thing, I decided not to use anything of this model in the new one so I can actually do things from 0 and learn more while i do it

It’s getting better and better!
I’m eager to see some textures on the latest models =)
Keep it up, it looks amazing so far.

They look good already. My advice would be to try rigging what youve got and put it in game. Youll probably find a lot of things you need to change which will help you as you move forward. :slight_smile: