Set a plane to halo, neon light effect, do they work in the game Engine?

Hi,

As my subject line states, does this work. I’m sure it must.

How do you create a shiny neon light effect?

The Halo rendering option in the materials tab doesn’t work in the game engine. What I do to simulate the glow of a light is to just put a very subtle glow texture with an alpha channel on a plane behind what ever object is supposed to be the light source. You can also go to Blender Game> Materials>Face Orientation, and then select “halo”. This will work well with light sources that are spherical, and will allow the plane that the glow texture is on to follow wherever the player’s camera is in the scene. Just make sure to rotate the plane on the y axis 90 degrees in edit mode or else you won’t be able to see the halo object.

also there is bloom

Could someone please show me an example?

That is a little disappointing about no actual effect working in the engine.

Try look at my project:
BlurFilter(2).blend (911 KB)
there’s a variable called “USEBLOOM” on right, set to 1 to enable Bloom, and 0 to disable
(some graphic cards doesn’t support this)

some Youtube tutorials:

With Bloom:

without Bloom:

Attachments

Bloom filter is nice but it can also lower framerates on lower-end machines. If you have a simple circular object that needs a glow I would recommend the Halo face orientation technique.

Here’s two examples:

Attachments

Light_Example.blend (788 KB)

You could use this as an example -> http://opengameart.org/content/3rd-person-blender-sci-fi-pack

I use this effect a lot in my games. Don’t use alpha transparency, give the texture a black background and use “add” type transparency. I usually just use a grayscale image and use object color to shade it.

I found what I need, ‘radiosity’ via the list from that bloom tutorial clip.

But I’m not succeeding with that. I had to swtich GSL on now the map is dark. Um, and there is no indirect lighting setting in the world menu.

Of course the clip is from 2012. Has it changed?

That neon looking effect is perfect!

add a hemiLamp, and set it ver very low.

What does that do for the neon effect? It is a good light for brightening up a location. But other than that it doesn’t change the result.

GLSL certainly got rid of the white emitting wall effect compared to Multitexture mode.

use add - mode and face the plane to x+

Notsure how I do that?

in the texture tab of material,

see how it says mix at the bottom in a dropdown,
change this to add is what Rocky is suggesting,

I did change in the texture tab to add, that doesn’t do anything.

Okay. For the moment, there is no animating screens or halos.

What about creating a reflective floor?

https://simonschreibt.de/game-art-tricks/
I recommend you read some of the articles on this blog before you go any further.
With certain high performance shaders or experimental build of blender you can get any special effect you want; Real time water, reflections, physics based lighting, bloom, depth of field etc…
But the result is going to make your game slower and slower and even not work properly on some computers.
If you want that kind of brute force solution you might be better off with one of the high end game engines which have all that built in.
Otherwise you should learn how to fake the effect you want. There are hundreds of great, simple tricks that game artists and developers have been using for years to make games look much more advanced than they are.
People complain that the BGE isn’t powerful enough or it doesn’t have X feature, but it’s up to us as developers to find a way to bridge the gap between what we want and what we have.

As others have said on this thread, try using a simple plane, give it a material with a texture which is bright color fading to black. Set the material’s alpha settings to ‘add’. Make it shadeless or give it a high emit setting. Then either set the ‘face’ settings to halo or find a way of placing it in game so the player can only look at it from one angle.

EDIT:
I don’t know for sure what you’re looking for, but here’s a demo with what I talked about:
neon.blend (504 KB)

The great thing about additive type alpha is that it combines with other objects/polys with additive alpha so by duplicating a halo you can make it twice as bright. Try duplicating any of the objects in that scene to see what I’m talking about. You can make some pretty good effects with it.

I’m using a very old system, so nothing intense is the objective.

Lighting, and the effect is the challenging part.

I viewed the neon file, I guess that is close enough, the screen light effect. I can’t recreate that effect.

Attachments

This is what you need to set.
Have fun!

Attachments

I have tried that, that doesn’t display any plane.