Macro Photography: The Smallest Pyramid

I coupled an old Minolta 50mm f/2 lens onto my new Canon A75 digital camera and produced some interesting results.

These metallic spheres come in three different sizes and, interestingly enough, they aren’t always chrome; some have a darker color. Can you guess what they are or where I got them? Hint: There’s a good chance that there is at least one of them on your desk right now. I’ll let you guys know the answer tomorrow, if no one figures it out.

Anyway, it’s just an experiment. Do you think the composition could have been better? I wanted to have a hard-edged shadow and I think a flash would have produced that effect. But then I’d have blown-out highlights, so maybe the image is good the way it is. I know some parts of the pyramid are out of focus – I need to work on that, but f/8 is the max for the A75. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

http://home.comcast.net/~gamma-ray/Pyramid-1.jpg

very nice and clean photo,i think the composition is fine.
maybe they are one of those office-desk-kill-timers :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments. Actually, the spheres are from the tips of common ball-point pens; they are only about 1 millimeter in diameter.

You just posted the answer before I could guess it.
I was right.
The photography is very good.

How did you get the balls out of the pens and stack them like that. Its a very interesting photo. I like how you can see the reflection of the lens in the balls.

Yep, we posted at the same time – you were right, though.

Stacking was made easier with the use of a magnet. The dark-colored ones refuse to be stacked, so I gave up.

I’ll probably take another photo with something in the background to show the scale, but I don’t want to mess up the composition (I value leon’s opinion). I might do something with some color to make the silver spheres stand out a little more.

Thanks.

wow, thats great. i love macro. i think the composition is fine, although i would like to see another pic with something in the backround to show the size difference. again, great job

Good picture. Photoshop out the dust and hair. I dunno about introducing an element to show scale. It’s more ambiguous that way. They could be anything right now which is cool. If you do introduce something though, how about shooting a person from the same camera angle scaled way up and composite that in to make them look huge? Just a thought.

looks uncannily like blender/yafray to me.

but none the less, if its real good work.

Alltaken

ditto!

So it looks like blender/yafray, huh. I wish I had a very small, reflective checkered-floor to really throw people off. I have more ideas now. Thanks.

This shot proves it is real. It uses the highest zoom setting on the camera, but without the use of the 50mm SLR lens, which is in the background. Quite a difference in magnification, wouldn’t you say? I love my Canon A75.
http://home.comcast.net/~gamma-ray/Pyramid-5.jpg

Here a back-lit shot:
http://home.comcast.net/~gamma-ray/Pyramid-2.jpg

And one with a copper BB (0.177 caliber ammo from an old Daisy air-gun that I had when I was a kid):
http://home.comcast.net/~gamma-ray/Pyramid-3.jpg

This one has a red background and some of the dust is gone:
http://home.comcast.net/~gamma-ray/Pyramid-4.jpg

Thanks.

i think the back-lit shot is the best one,the one with red background is nice too,IMO the other photos are not very interesting.

ooooooooh so the whole table thing is a magnet. that would explain how they stand up :stuck_out_tongue:

nice work, what threw me off was that the balls were just way to shinny, why do they have no scratches or dents in them? he he

i have an A70 BTW they are fairly decent cameras

Alltaken

Looks great. Usually you have to give people a little longer to guess…

(I would’ve guess, but sniff i guess i’m slow…) heh

Macro means BIG
Micro means small

So, how many pens do you go through in a week?

Yes, but taking pictures of small things and making a bigger picture is called Macro photography. :wink:

I really like this shot. I do think there should be something to indicate scale, but I don’t know what that would be.

Oh, and I think I like the back lit shot the best.

Good work.

Fabulous! But it’s funny how much it looked like a Yafray picture.
That kinda proves that we mis-judge Yafray pix…

remember this photo=real,yafray=3D(not real) so you have to say that yafray pics look like this photo. :stuck_out_tongue:

just clearing out.

hahaha! good point, leon :slight_smile:

remember this photo=real,yafray=3D(not real) so you have to say that yafray pics look like this photo. :stuck_out_tongue:

just clearing out.[/quote]
Not to be a semantic bastard, but it’s not so much about real vs. rendered… rather, it’s a question of perspective. If the viewer thinks an image looks like it was made in yafray, then it looks like a yafray pic (whether it was photographed, painted, or actually rendered in yafray). If the viewer thinks the image looks like a photo, then, well… you get the point.

:slight_smile: yep i know that,i was just j/k