Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @PolyPincher: Thanks man! I love the bat aswell! So much so; Iīm going to make a finished piece from it for sure
    As far as the video goes: Iīm scripting it bit by bit whenever I have a break. It might become reality in 1-2 weeks if nothing urgent comes up.

I cleaned up this thread a little, got rid of the double posts and here go the pics from my wip threads (couple months old work), since itīs unlikely that Iīm going to have time to work on any of these in the foreseeable future (who knows, maybe Iīll doodle around on them), but Iīd like to have it all in one tidy place:
    Name:  wipMary1.png
Views: 238
Size:  187.5 KB
    Name:  wipMaryrender2.png
Views: 240
Size:  103.0 KB
    Name:  cartoongirlwipx.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  29.2 KB

More great stuff!

About the two full body females you just posted, are those also made using dyntopo ? They look so damn smooth/clean, did you retopo+clean them up ?

Hereīs my free basemesh:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peter-jozsa-jr-render1withbackground.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	474316

Name:	peter-jozsa-jr-peter-jozsa-jr-render2withbackground.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	474317

Name:	free basemesh_wires.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	686.5 KB 
ID:	474319

You can find it HERE

Super-generous, that's a VERY detailed basemesh (also great sculpting on the render), my current workflow is basically dyntopo + some kitbashing to do base body, then a retopo and then multires sculpting.

BTW did you use cloth simulation for the cool looking cape ?

@PolyPincher: Yes, the full-body woman is retopoed. I sometimes go as detailed with dyntopo as I can get with it and then shrinkwrap that onto a retopomesh that has a multires modifier with high subdivision levels. If you then apply the shrinkwrap, you get a nicely topoed lowpolymesh with multires detail obviously. Step down a subd level and you get a very smooth mesh, provided that your dyntopo work is not too messy. (Thatīs how I did the woman and also the free basemesh). I much prefer the solid feel of dyntopo to the smooth gluey feel of multires sculpting so I avoid multires sculpting as much as I can (except for surface detailing using alphas, but that I would consider to be more a part of texturing than that of sculpting).

Here are some general tips on sculpting setup: You want your mesh to be as honest with you as it can be while sculpting--> keep the following things in mind:
    -use Ortho view by default and only switch to Perspective (lenswidth: 100+) to quickly check how your sculpt would look in the cameradistorted scene
    -avoid smooth-shading at all cost (it hides errors you really should see clearly and adress)
    -avoid matcaps (use 1 opengl lightsource and rotate it constantly (google: Quick Preferences Addon)
    -Use some sort of silhouette addon and check the silhouette frequently + ask yourself this: "if what I see was made by someone else, what wouldnīt I like about it?"

Cape was done in Marvelous Designer. It was quite a challenge to get such a large peace of cloth to be shaped like that (I guess with the new freeze funcions it would be much quicker.) I have no Idea how long it would take to make something similar in Blender.

What? you really sculpt in Orthoview? I need to know more about that!. I used to sculpt in Ortho, but then I change to 90 or 100 mm. What is your reason for using Orthoview? that does not exist in real life.
    I used to work a lot with matcaps, but I also avoid them now, And I have also only one opengl light.

Yes, I only sculpt in ortho. All you do when sculpting is working on proportion. Only in orthoview are the proportions not distorted.
    What is your reason for using Orthoview? that does not exist in real life.
    That is also true about 90 or 100mm camera distortion when related to the human eye. The comparison of the human eye to a camera lens is nonsensical when it comes to perspectivistic distortion. A camera captures the content of its entire field of view sharp and unblurred. You use only a minimal percentage of your eyes field of view when you focus on what you are looking at. So what you can see clearly (nonblurred) with your eyes when you work is actually closer to ortho than to any other distorted perspective.

Generally speaking: Out of all your possible settings you always want to use those that make your sculpt look worse because those are the ones which most clearly highlight your errors.

Originally Posted by PixelPete View Post
    then shrinkwrap that onto a retopomesh that has a multires modifier with high subdivision levels. If you then apply the shrinkwrap, you get a nicely topoed lowpolymesh with multires detail obviously.
    Yes this is the method I use, it's very convenient.

I much prefer the solid feel of dyntopo to the smooth gluey feel of multires sculpting so I avoid multires sculpting as much as I can
    For me it's the other way around, I find myself much more comfortable with multires subdivision, and as such I pretty much only do the basic shape in dyntopo, which is a shame since dyntopo is so powerful.

-use Ortho view by default and only switch to Perspective (lenswidth: 100+) to quickly check how your sculpt would look in the cameradistorted scene
    Wow, I've never done sculpting in ortho, not in modeling either unless I use some image reference within Blender, which I seldom do, I think I use 95 for lens setting, I'll give ortho a try but that's going to take time getting used to, that said your results speak for themselves.

Thanks for all the tips!

Sorry about the delay on the video I promised. My workflow and setup is changing currently due to some new (sweet) 2.79 features and and other older features/Addons I just figured out recently, so making a video that would become outdated a few days or weeks later doesnīt make sense to me. I made a quick pic on the basics of what setup and Addons I would definately recommend for sculpting. (short description and links below):

Name:	sculptsetup.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	480939
    From left to right:
    -Pie Menu: 3D Viewport Pie Menus Addon (internal); click "Sculpt Pie: Hotkey "W"..." for quick Brush selection
    -Custom clay brush: Itīs from this glorious free Brush pack and I give it a little Autosmooth. I use this instead of the clay brush now coupled with the crease brush of course for detailing. Also check out the orb crack brushes from the same pack. They are much better for hard surface work than the standard crease brush.
    -ortho view! (Numpad 5); As long as I block out the proportions, I use ortho. For detailing, I switch back and forth between ortho and perspective, alpha texturing I also do in both.
    -silhouette addon :use extensively when blocking out
    -Viewport setup: White background and select "World Background" in the Display settings + using the Quick Preferences Addon (A marvel), I have this setup in the picture. I constantly change the direction of the light and also the specularity of the material from time to time, but the settings you can see are what I work with most of the time.

Thatīs all there is to it. 2.79 will have a sculptbrush hotkey Addon which also displays custom brushes (The built in Pie struggles with those). Also there might be some new masking features. There are a bunch of things that I want to dive into, so there probably wonīt be a video before the 2.79 release.

I hope this is useful to some nontheless.

Ow yeah! I already use some of the things you show, but I have to dive in so many new! Thanks a lot for sharing! I'm now really anxious to see that video!!!

I just test the silhouette and the quick preferences addon, very nice!!! I use to have OpenGL Lights addon, it does a similar job, but I think I prefer the quick preferences addon now. Pie menu is still strange for me, and seem that all is fix, no way to change anything?
    Also, how did you install the brushes? It seems to move all the brushes around?
    Last edited by Tonatiuh; 20-Apr-17 at 05:38.

Thanks for the deeper workflow description, those brushes you linked to were awesome, that claytubes smooth, flatten edgeprotect and extrem polish should be part of Blender proper methinks.

For silhouette viewings I'just been switching to material mode since I don't have any lights in the scene when I sculpt.

Also you have a white background when you sculpt, doesn't that strain the eyes during long sessions ? Maybe I just need to lower the brightness on my screen, or maybe it's just that I'm so used to dark themes.

That Orc (?) looks great!

@Elvis: I installed the brushes the same way it is described in the instructions. It does move the standard brushes around in that preview bar. Thatīs one reason why I decided not to make the announced video yet. There is a workaround I use with the latest nightly build to quickly preview and access all the brushes (even custom brushes) but it will only be official in 2.79. The Pie Menu still works, you just have to f.ex. select the clay brush twice (aka press w--> select clay brush (it selects the custom rectangular clay brush), then press w again --> select same icon and now you will have your standard clay brush selected. It takes a while to figure out which custom brush is where but once you learn it, itīs ok. Especially since Iīm only using 2-3 Brushes most of the time. For Grab brush I use hotkey "G".

@PolyPincher:
    that claytubes smooth, flatten edgeprotect and extrem polish should be part of Blender proper methinks.
    Agreed!

I do change the background value from time to time. But very rarely. The way I have set it up, I can also do it very quickly. (just colorpick in the world tab). When Iīm working on form and proportions, pure white is the way to go to generate the highest contrast with the mesh (clear sihouette/ negative space). Also no coloring of either the mesh or the background since it affects the perception of the form way more than one might think. Been sitting in front of my screen at least 12 hours a day for the past 8 years, two of which Iīve been using the white background for sculpting. I guess the eyes get used to it. It also has a lot to do with display size and monitor type. The bigger your display, the more the eyes jump around, the more the eyes move, the more flexible they stay. Exercise keeps healthy. This is also true for the eyes. I would probably not have this setup permanently on a 19" screen or smaller (or as you said: would decrease the brightness intensity).

That Orc (?) looks great!
    Thanks man, hereīs a small update

Name:	orc.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	578.6 KB 
ID:	481363
    Last edited by PixelPete; 21-Apr-17 at 08:56.

This is the level of detail to which I usually stay in dyntopo before I retopo (about 2 mill triangles). I then duplicate the topology, (if youīre wondering "why?", youīll understand later). Then as I described in an earlier post, I multires one of the topologized meshes to 5 or 6 subdivisions, shrinkwrap the detail from the dyntopo mesh to the multires mesh, apply the shrinkwrap, step down 1 subdivision level, delete the highest subdivision level and sculpt in the alpha detail. This will be the final highpoly mesh. But because I often tweak and adjust proportions of this mesh, the topology gets messed up. Hereīs where the duplicated base topology comes into play. I shrinkwrap that around the highres mesh, create the UVs and bake whatever needs to be baked.

Name:	orcturnaroundlower.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	951.5 KB 
ID:	481904

Hereīs a close up of the face:

Name:	face.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	436.9 KB 
ID:	481907
    Last edited by PixelPete; 25-Apr-17 at 14:15.

I really like the upper body, I think the head is a little too small.

What an honor, thank you, monsieur! I agree with you about the head size. I am having trouble with it. It looks very weird on him when heīs naked, especially in orthographic view. (The weirdness isnīt as extreme in perspective view of course). I did try to make the head bigger, but it throws off the sense of scale I am intending for this guy. Hereīs a rough block in with a human as reference for scale to show what I mean. If I make the head bigger, the whole thing looks a lot less massive, more cartoony and a lot of the flow of the design breaks:

Name:	orcblockin.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	692.7 KB 
ID:	481939

Hereīs the orc in perspective view (added collarbone and tweaked the feet a little bit compared to the last image):

Name:	orcpersp.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	481940

Here are the orcs from the world of warcraft movie, which are a lot smaller than mine. They already have very weird proportions:

Name:	5Pwmw4l.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	481941

What do you think?

I think it is a big ork, or the bigger ork yet! Epic! Rock star epic!
    If I may, a few things are not workin for me, one been beliable an consistent anatomy and physiology, one big dude like that will provably had sufer from some condition one with the hormones went to far, as we can see on the body, but wen you get to the face... Almost nothing, the maseter, and the temporal muscles are small, even seen that he has an enormous jaw with enormous teeth, he ned some kind of crest or something to acomodate biger muscles of masticatorial epic power! Like a gorila for the temporal muscle, or like the horse for the maseter.
    Also there is no creature that I know that cant close the mouth or lips completely.
    The second thing is the neack, I can see were did you put the 7th vertebrae, and then you make an anormous cifosis in the neck and acomodates the head touching the clavicles, that will make the esternocleid muscles useless, the neck imposible to move, and hard for him to breath and shallow. Maybe some less neck cifosis, and a little more esternocleid muscles, will make him more believable. Just let him more room to move the head, now he must be in terrible pain, I have seen old people with osteoporosis, with similar neck configuration, and it is not pleasant.
    I don't think that the problem is the size of the head do.
    I hope you can undertand my horrible English.

About the use of the shrinkwrap, lets see if I undertand properly, becouse this alwais makes me cry... you make a retopo, and you duplicate that retopo, so now you have one dynotopo and two retopos, then you make a multirres of one of the retopo meshes, delete one subdiv, sculpt again, and at last you shirkwrap the untouched second retopo mesh on the first already use first retopo mesh, with enough subdivisions I asume? And you bake a displacment map in blender internal? Don't you get artifacts wen you shirkwrap? You make it look like is strait forward!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234