At a lost.

So I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a character walk around the corner, but I’m not sure how to approach it.
I was wondering if it would be easier to add a walk cycle and use the master bone to rotate the movement or do I need a reference in order to pull this off. I really wanted to make it walk a diagonal line in mid step.

It’s a little more difficult than a normal walk cycle, isn’t it?

You have to consider a few things:

• How wide is the turn? (How many steps to get around it?)
  • Which foot is forward-most at the start of the turn?
  • Which direction are you turning?

Pay attention to how you normally walk around a corner. Get up and actually do it a few times. Pay attention to how you time your steps in getting to the corner, what foot you plant where when you get to the corner, how you turn your leg and foot as you come around the corner and where you plant your foot as you do, and how many steps you take in all to get around the corner… Three steps should work for a normal corner turn.

Now you need to do all that with your character.

• Start with the initial (pre-turning) position and keyframe it in.
  • The second foot should cross in front of the first foot and twist about 45 degrees as it does. Place it by SLIDING the foot along the ground plane without lifting it. It should be placed exactly at the middle of the turn around the corner. Set a keyframe for it 10 frames after the first keyframe.
  • The third step should position your character at 90 degrees to what he was at before the turn, and positioned equidistant from the corner as when he started to go around it. The foot should twist a full 90 degrees during this step. Set another keyframe when you have it placed correctly.

Now go back and tweak the in-between frames. Go to each of the frames midway between the ones you keyframed and adjust the foot that is in mid-stride by lifting it a little off the ground plane and tilting the toe down slightly. Set keyframes for these frames.

Now run the action a few times in the 3D viewre and make whatever adjustments you need to.

Have fun! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was working on this all week and I couldn’t get it right. I’ll get right on it.

I really need to find a reference to capture it. I’m having some difficulty pulling this off.

I realized now that I need to move the master bone as a separate action.