Plans for PBR viewport & 2.8?

Have there been any concrete plans announced to bring the PBR viewport to Blender 2.8?
Coming to Blender from MODO I’d love to see a viewport in Blender that can compete with MODO’s impressive Advanced Viewport but I’m not sure how realistic that is for 2.8.

Chris, you should be excited about this then :slight_smile:

I’ve seen the videos and I got hugely excited about them - I just don’t know if this prototype has any chance of finding its way into 2.8 in a polished, robust and user-friendly manner. :slight_smile: Is that planned?
There’s always a massive difference in required work involved between a cool prototype video and a production-ready release feature.
Not sure at which stage this PBR viewport currently is.

Yeah ideally the PBR look should be close to what Cycles will pump out. I am not sure how that is doable.

But if the PBR is close just lacks certain features such raytraced GI and reflections / refractions then I think this
will be very useful for modeling and animation previews before sending it to Cycles to render.

Chris Offner- Yes, PBR viewport in 2.8 is official. Probably it will be based on Unreal4 approach, same as in MODO.

Hi.
Some viewport designs are being discussed at developer.blender.org:
https://developer.blender.org/T51021

It is recommended not to mention designs of other software there on developer.blender.org. I think it is correct to avoid future legal conflicts. But I think that here in blenderartists people could give their opinion more freely mentioning also designs of other softwares. Well, also here are more artists participating compared to developer.blender.org. So I hope people give opinions and developers read this thread :slight_smile:

We have to know what exist to make something better with the blender possibilities.

There is Eevee roadmap

It is recommended not to mention designs of other software there on developer.blender.org. I think it is correct to avoid future legal conflicts.

Hehe why did they name it after a pokemon then? kidding

I wonder why not just call it “OpenGL PBR” under render engines.

It sounds promising and very impressive features for the viewport, light probes!

I hope this “multi engine material” idea becomes like an open solution, and leaves possibilities to expand on.
So the foundation does this Eevee implementation, but the community and maybe 3rd party developers can do as blend4web, and implement a uber shader material output for UE4, Unity,