Houdini Indie supports now Third Party Rendering (Render man/Arnold/Octane Render)

This is huge !!!

All is in the title ^^. Would you consider trying it ?

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3206&Itemid=66

Should be the cheapest way to get a frontend for Arnold or Redshift if that interests anyone. Especially for me, since I’m an indie subscriber already. (been trying to learn Houdini and improve my FX resume). Seriously people, Houdini indie is an amazing deal in general. It has a bit of a learning curve, but the flexibility for simulation work is incredible. Plus it’s very effective at certain modeling tasks. And for those models it’s not good at, well, the way the file SOP works can essentially turn any obj file into a primitive. :slight_smile:

Yeah I think mastering the Blender + Houdini Combo allows you to control the world ;D

I agree. Been trying to slowly get a handle on Houdini and there’s something very satisfying about the whole program’s paradigm. Everything is a node. Hmmm…

On a sidenote: Does anybody around here by chance know, weather or not their “HoudiniApprentice”-License does actually apply to mere hobbyists?
Thing is: On their website about it, it reads

Houdini Apprentice is a free version of Houdini FX which can be used by students, artists and hobbyists to create personal non-commercial projects.[bold type added by Kologe]
On the other hand, in their EULA (and elsewhere on their site), it reads

[…]Education License Type

[LIST]

• Permitted Use
    [LIST]
  • The Software may be Used only for: (A) purposes directly related to learning, teaching, training and research that are part of the instructional functions performed by a formal educational institution, such as a degree-granting or certificate-granting college or university, or any other dedicated learning, teaching or training facility; or (B) training and education purposes by a Licensee engaged in Commercial activities. The Software may not be Used to generate any work product that will be used in any Commercial manner.[…]

[/LIST]
[/LIST]
So am I right to assume any mere hobbyist not being either a student (as in (A)) nor “engaged in Commercial activities” (as in (B)), needs to go for the Indie- or a commerical License? Like in “no matter the non-commercial nature of what one`d use the license for”?

Dont get me wrong, Im really not trying to act like some freetard, the Indie-License is sure quite affordable. Im just wondering, for what their EULA (I believe) tells me, I cant see the Apprentice-License apply to any such thing as the common notion of what the term “hobbyist” refers to…

Sorry if this is somewhat off-topic.

greetings, Kologe

Mmmh correct me if I’m wrong but AFAIK the Houdini Apprentice version does’nt exists anymore. It is replaced by Houdini Indie :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=244&Itemid=399
Edit : Yeah :
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=155151

I think you’re mixing things up. There are educational licenses for Houdini (used in schools for example), you can only use those for educational/non commercial stuff.

Apprentice is a different thing where it’s basically just a free version of Houdini but once again doesn’t allow you to use it for commercial projects. There are no rules outside of that though so you can use it as a hobbyist if you want to learn Houdini.

Not really. Apprentice HD doesn’t exist anymore but Apprentice itself still does.