Issue Mirroring Bones

Good Afternoon all. Another day, another rigging issue!

I’ve started mirroring all the bones of my piero rig, but for some reason - it works perfectly in Edit mode, but when you go to Object mode / Pose mode, the bones aren’t copied across correctly, but held in their original positions? I’ve followed the tutorial to the letter (more than once now to ensure I wasn’t missing something).

I have also tried clearing all the parents and such but still no joy. Thought I’d post here as you guys are awesome!

Hopefully someone knows what I’ve done wrong! The left one is the view in edit mode, the right is in pose mode…

Attachments

Upload a blend with the armature only. No mesh is needed. We’ll check it out.

Whats the best hosting site for it?

If it’s just an armature, this site is fine. Or pasteall.org has a tab for blends. Post the url after uploading there.

Hopefully this works! This is just the rig…

Rigging_Issues.blend (1.19 MB)

OK, first problem. Most of the center bones are not aligned on X. In edit mode look at the transform panel and check the X location for the head and tail of the bones. These should all read 0.0 for the head and tail! The root bone is the only one that is currently correct.

To fix: In edit mode, use box (B) to select and hide (H) all bones that are not supposed to be dead center. Next, with the pivot point set to 3D Cursor and the cursor at the center of the scene, (Shift-S, Cursor to Center), Hotkey A to select all center bones, Scale (S), X, 0 (zero), confirm ( Enter).

All the center bones should now read 0.0 for both the heads and tails.

Now you need to fix all of the left side bones that were across the line and misnamed .R because of that issue. (Alt H to unhide.) I saw at least one bone that had a .R in the tail. Check and double check all positions and naming. You might as well delete any right side bones for the moment.

If there are still problems, (there will be) I’ll help from there. I’ll keep checking for the next issue.

Good luck!

P.S.

How do we stop this double picture (Attached Thumbnails) from posting? It’s annoying…

Attachments

Thanks for the help, and well noticed that some of the bones had twisted.

The .R bones you noticed were the ones I had already copied, and which have the mirror issue. There aren’t any other bones with the .R label.

I still have the mirror issue though. Centering up the bones did nothing to help it?

It’s taken me about 15 hours of buggering about. But, I’ve fixed it!!!

YEEESSS!!!

I wasn’t copying across the Control Bones (hidden inside of the deformation bones) - Only noticed when I realised that the copy rotation constraint was to a bone on the .L…not the .R as it didn’t have one to copy to!!!

I’m so glad I’ve got that sorted out!!! Relieved much?! lol

Not for this issue, but it will affect the rig later on. It’s very important for mirroring functions to work correctly like copy and paste mirrored poses.

I’m glad you got it sorted. I was afraid your issue was that you did not mirror the spline and your spline IK was then messing everything up. (You did not include this in the file.)

Double check your tail bones again. This is the bone that I was talking about.

Good luck!

Attachments

DanPro, thank you for the reply.

I’m not sure how that .R bone was in there - possibly from me deleting the failed .R’s and somehow a .L being selected instead? It’s all been changed now, and I went through and centralized all the bones on the X Axis (although, I had to do them one at a time - Scaling X to 0 only scaled them to 0.03 on X for some reason).

It’s all done now though, Thank you again for you help. Not doubt I’ll be back in a few days with more rigging issues! Definitely not my favourite Blender aspect!