What the hell is this

Attempting to upload a png. and keep getting this.

Oh, hell now that uploads so back to the post.

Attachments

And, once again a 720p - 3.5MG png. won’t upload as a Image on a post in another section. Hopefully a glitch at this space in time. Or, do we have to submit jpegs.

check maximum size for pictures
in forum rules

it should pass I think not that big but not certain 100 %

or contact forum moderator and ask them

happy bl

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Blender Artists Website Support”

@theoldghost You know well enough where to post questions like these.

That said, the maximum size for images is 2MB. That’s the source of your issue.

Thanks Fweeb on both counts.

Now why have my renders suddenly got so large is the question in my mind. Same old tired project at 720p - 8 bit color. And, compression has had a default of 10 % for quite some time now. Or, should the default be 15 % since it’s a lot of difference. I just backed up to 2.74 and my default there is at 15 %. Regardless now setting default to 15 % and wondering how it ever got changed in the first place.

Chances are good that there’s more variation in color on your image. PNG compression is very good on large blocks of uniform color (like a white void background). But when the color starts changing more frequently, file sizes start to grow.

Also, when saving .png, you can ramp the compression up to 100%. png is lossless, so you won’t degrade the image (although it may take some milliseconds more to save).

I’m using sage thumbs to convert rendered images from .png to .jpg in order to reduce the file size before I upload them here. Works quite well and is located in the right click menu for an image on windows. https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/

Thanks to all of you for the valid info. As mentioned what was actually hooking me was the PNG compression setting being 10%. 10% for one render took up 3.52MBs while a setting of 15% came in at 1.36MBs. But, that setting begs a question, besides how mine might have got changed, since I remember it changing over different versions. Seems to me it was once at 90% for the default. Whereas recently I think 15%.

Below is exactly what Ovnuniarchos said written I believe by Campbell. His Avatar was on the page in several places anyway.

stc=1

Since I like to play with the contrast, etc. in the VSE maybe OpenEXR is the way to go for animating. More research needed. Once again thanks all. With all the talk about site change I jumped to judgment not realizing my renders had more then doubled in size.

///

Attachments