Artstation Journey challenge - Final Entry.

My entry for the Artstation Journey challenge. A giant boulderback tortoise, transporting rare potions and fine ale from the Blackmountain breweries. The journey is a long one, but the massive reptile lumbers on day after day, slow but unstoppable. Mainly used for hauling siege engines in wartime, Boulderbacks are known far and wide for their incredible strength, and their ability to survive for months without food. They are the oldest creatures alive, easily reaching seven or eight centuries old, and are by far the toughest. Virtually nothing, not even dragons, can pierce their thick shells. The shrewd merchants from Blackmountain were quick to recognize the value of strength over speed. Especially when hauling their famous ale down the big river to the coastal towns and cities.

===================

I used various software, but blender as usual took up 90% of my toolset. Rendered in Cycles. Enjoy!

[video]https://youtu.be/wY1bTLDLh0A[/video]

Attachments

4 Likes

Wonderful, wonderful. I went to your thread on Artstation and enjoyed seeing how this has evolved. It is an image you can take a long walk in!

One tiny little thing is, that the grass strands on the ground are very repetitive. Especially the strand with the ~30 degree angle is repeated very often. More variations would look better.

But nevertheless this is among the best submissions. Good luck for you!

Very cool stuff! I like it.
Link to his artstation page for those who want to see it: https://www.artstation.com/artist/ricocilliers and the mentioned wip thread: https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-journey/challenges/2/submissions/2352

Thanks guys!
@minoribus ohh yeah the grass haha! I noticed the issue too late, halfway through rendering. I shall fix it sometime I hope. thanks for your thoughts, and I’m pleased that you like it! cheers!

@ctdabomb thank you very much sir!

such a beautiful image! everything i’m seeing here looks top notch.

I’m sure this will be on the top row in no time :stuck_out_tongue: best of luck in the challenge!

Amazing image!

Amazing Amazing Beautiful image. No complaints here :).

^^^ thank you guys! I appreciate it! :smiley:

Great colours and atmosphere, it really tells a story at the first glance! 5 stars from me :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Wonderful work Guss! The textures are impressive! I would like to suggest you something if it’s not late.
Why not to try working on the visual story of this image. Humans are too stationary for me, is this like a piece of photography (Like someone is taking a picture from outside)? or you are telling a story in action from inside, however now my mind is stacking somewhere. Also I would suggest for more greenery which correspond for the size of the turtle in the environment.

Sorry if I sound pretentious or corrective to you!
Great work! Keep creating :slight_smile:

Awesome detail! I love the background it really adds to the fantasy setting of the model.

Great work!

Wow! What a nice tortoise! The background is very beautiful. It really makes me feel the depth of the landscape. I see you have a lot of details on the turtle, too. The people on it feel a little odd in the image because their level of detail matches the detail level of the far landscape.

thank you all for your wonderful feedback!
@ivaydesign, @tarnisator thanks for your critiques as well guys! really appreciate it :smiley:
@Jeepster, @TimoShCh, @Blender2003, @ExistentialTaco, Thanks guys!

@el_dib thank you for the 5 stars!

Rock on!!

I love it! It made me space out into Fantasia right away.

Congrats on the honorable mention. What a great success!

Nice render!
(edit) just curious, what do the background trees look like close up?

Gus, what a wonderful job.
Congratulations!

Absolutely Epic!

Looks beautiful! My only critique is that the planet in the background seems to be lit differently than the foreground—it should be a “half-moon” sort of lighting instead of a crescent. Otherwise I’d expect the tortoise and landscape to look back-lit.