(Addon)EZDraw Artist Paint Panel: 2D Paint in the 3D View - 2.79b only, 2.8 unsupported

Spirou4D and I have been working on a project for awhile that consolidated a lot of small macros I started to build as operators (sloppily) for the 3d view. This addon enables you to create a 2D paint session in the 3D view, and to iterate from the 3d view and to do some masking and canvas rotation/flipping. It is a WIP :wink: but stable enough now to share with you that might want to use it.

I worked up an overview for you to see how to use it, and of course there are things that need polishing still - Spirou4D has been working steadily on streamlining the operations and making the tools work correctly. I am indebted to him for this, as it has made my painting in Blender so much more enjoyable. :smiley:

Prerequisite is to turn on the Import Images as Planes addon, as that is the primary step to getting this working.
Get the EZ Draw Pie here
Get the new EZ Draw addon hereGet a revised version of Texture Paint Plus here
Get the Drawtype operator pie here

Very first incarnation on video of the original macro panel

Original video of Artist Paint Panel

New Video of the EasyDraw addon

Using the addon to work on a 2d image used on a 3d model :smiley:

Latest video showing that last incarnation, but the links now take you to the revised versions and some new tools still need to be covered

A new tool here though it is much nicer after the rewrite - increasing the canvas size and adding new paint space to keep the painting pixels:

1 Like

Supperr I love it thank

I have no idea how to load the script? Is there a tutorial on this? So simple-minded folks like me? It sure looks interesting Craig. Might be a bit beyond me right now.

Download the zip file, and in the User prefs window under Addons, choose at the bottom ‘install from file’. Navigate to the zip file, and choose that. Check the tick box, and then press the ‘defaults’ preferences bar and change the name of the panel to what you want, as well as set custom rotation increments. You will find the panel in your Tool bar. If you like it, then you can set to save your preferences to include this.

You are welcome, thank you

Thanks Craig…I couldn’t see the zip file…only the actual script and the license file and the readme. I will check again. And I look forward to your upcoming videos on painting within Blender. We are lucky to have folks like you dedicating so much to helping the rest of us here…especially newcomers like myself.

I will check again to find the zip.

I totally missed the clone or download button…I see it now.

You know, I had the same problem for several months even

Well that makes me feel a bit better…sort of. hehe. I still feel pretty stupid! To put it bluntly.

Think of it as a learning event - once you get the idea of how this is done, then you can do liek me and totally forget the old way and swear that a script/addon is broken until someone points it out to you that it is only a python script, not a packaged zip :eek:

Too funny! Now that I am semi-retired I thought that it would be fun, now that I have a little bit more time, to learn programming. Is it beyond a 68 year old’s capacity to pick up python? Is it worth it? Beyond just being someone who constantly like to learn things?

Blender is the best way to learn python actually, since if you watch Jonathan CG Cookie tutorial on making a tool panel you find out that the interface is all python, and you also find out that there are ways to learn how stuff works right there in the program itself. Lots of videos exist, as well as script examples available from the text editor window let you see how stuff works - and I am 45, so not far behind. I had not coded anything save for a simple math program in Basic back in the 80’s, and dropped it.

Lately this past year and into this one, I joined a daily creative group on facebook where people offer up daily creations, and the environment stirred in me the desire to learn more and to reach out to goals I had never thought were attainable. I got some rough working examples going, and then with help from proxe and Spirou4D as well as some more python tutorials on codeacademy.com, I got some things working. Spirou4d has really polished all of it, and then made things that were still ideas into real script, and that has been an excellent experience. I do plan on revisiting all the stuff I have offered on my channel and updating it to make it more concise, but also to offer a ’ Blender paint 101’ style introduction to it as well. Some peopel aren’t as versed in Blender.

hi Craig Jones
to me Texture Paint Plus plugin looks like this /uploads/default/original/4X/d/d/7/dd78e6662ad53d09c5974425822828e10529150c.jpgstc=1 but in you video it look like this

Did you change something in code or there some where are settings to give them look like

Attachments

Thanks Craig. I will check into all of that. I have a CG Cookie subscription and will look through those tutorials. Is there a name to the facebook daily creative group? I am one of those not as versed in Blender and look forward to your simpler intro stuff to Blender Paint.

Thank you very much for sharing this. Looks very useful!!!

Try Spirou4d’s fork from Bart’s here

Just test it. Works like a charm. It would be awesome if this addon could make the eyedropper automatically select the new color instead of selecting the color with the eyedropper and then having to select it again from the new swatch color on the brush panel as it’s the default in Blender.

Not sure what you mean, but you can just press S while in Texture Paint and it will Sample under your brush in the viewport

When using the cycles render paint mode i have the same experience. I press the S key and it does sample the color under the cursor but it does not load that color in the brush. I have to go to the last square in the palette where that color was placed upon using the S key. I think he means it would be nice if the color you picked using the S key was automatically loaded into the current brush so you could keep working without going to the menu bar. Maybe it works different in Blender Render.

That’s exactly what I meant, michaelws, thanks for the explanation. That also happens in Blender Internal to me. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. But it would be a lot faster to paint in Blender if the S key automatically selects the color like the ALT key in Photoshop.