Substance Painter 2.1 released

Changelog: https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-painter-21-here

Quick look: Linux support (CentOS 6.6 and Ubuntu 12.4), 4k monitor support, 8k texture export support (experimental), UDIM support (by converting to texture sets on import and converting back to UDIM on export), texture set switching by ctrl+alt+clicking on part of mesh with the texture, one-click alpha workflow added, and more.

Certainly some long awaited features in there!

Great everything I needed from it,

Thanks for the heads up.

4k, finally! My eyes will no longer be sore!

finally linux!! :smiley:

anyone know what to do to create UDIMs compatible with Substance Painter?

Kinda shameless self-promotion (or is it with shame because I added this disclaimer?) but I made a tutorial about UDIM in Blender here:

awesome news :slight_smile: (Y)
what about its performance !! Same as windows version?
which linux is best for performance because now i am also trying to shift from windows to Linux !! plz help buddies

They are really targeting the movie market and Mari’s users with that update, it’s great!

@@J_the_Ninja

thanks that helped :slight_smile:

I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure why I’d use UDIM over UV, how does adding multiple tiles help?

We are doing shameless self promotion? Then check this out : )

Materials for Substance Painter - Gumroad shop

It doesn’t make much sense in Blender, but most other apps use UDIM for easy painting of areas with differing detail with automatic texture assignment. It’s an easy workflow without the drawbacks of ptex.

Hello. Substance Painter is officially supported on CentOs and Ubuntu. My Linux-only history is more than 10 years, but I have never used those two distros, so I wanted to test if it just works. And it does.

1. Downloaded the 30-days evaluation version. It gave me .rpm file.
  2. Converted the file to tar.gz with rpm2targz program:

rpm2targz Substance_Painter_2-2.1.0-1.el6.standard.full.x86_64.rpm
  1. extracted the tar.gz:

tar -zxvf Substance_Painter_2-2.1.0-1.el6.standard.full.x86_64.tar.gz
  1. End result is a folder named opt. This is supposed to be installed into root /, but I just moved it into my home directory:

mkdir ~/SP
mv opt ~/SP/
  1. started Substance Painter from command line (file browser works also, eg. Dolphin)

cd ~/SP/opt/Allegorithmic/Substance_Painter_2
./Substance\ Painter\ 2
  1. SP asks to select licence, I choose 30-evaluation.
  2. SP asks to identify, I input my Allegorithmic credentials.
  3. SP says something failed. But It’s ok, SP also tells me that there is a licence script file in /tmp that needs to be run. Licence file name is different every time the it is generated, but starts with “install-license-”.
  4. Went to /tmp and changed the file path in that file to match the path I set the opt folder. Used filename install-license-Hf6306.sh. Then ran it:

cd /tmp
nano install-license-Hf6306.sh
.. change the path ..
/bin/bash install-license-Hf6306.sh
  1. Restarted Substance Painter as in step 5.

I also fetched the Scifi Crate tutorial project and loaded model scifiCrate/meshes/scifi_container_low.fbx and everything seems fine. https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=6297.0

I hope this detailed description helps somebody. My Linux distro is Sabayon flavored Gentoo (rolling binary): http://www.sabayon.org/ using kernel 4.5, proprietary Nvidia#358.09.

Maybe I’m lazy, but how would install this in manjaro, would someone be able to direcct me on how to do this please

Thanks

Choose a location I have an applications folder in my home folder that I use for applications like this.
download the RPM
exract the rpm to the location you chose.
navigate into the Substance painter folder that was created - you should be able to excute the program from there.
If you are using the KDE flavour of manjaro you can add it to your application menu by right clicking on the “start” menu and choosing edit applications.

Another method which might be easier is to use Alien to convert the .rpm to a .deb and then install it as you would any other software. I will give this a try tonight when I get home after work. I have had good luck converting rpms with Alien in the past. I use Linux Mint which is based off of Ubuntu, which in turn is based off of Debian. All these distros use the .deb archive format to install software. Of course .rpm is used by Redhat based distros like CentOS, Fedora, etc.

This thread is a bit outdated, check https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,3159.0.html for changelogs!
Current version is 2.5.3.

I was able to convert the .rpm to .deb and install the software with no problems. It does take Alien some time to do the conversion (about 5 min. on my system). Here are the commands I used for the conversion:

sudo alien Substance_Designer-6.0.2.612-linux-x64-standard-full.rpm --scripts
sudo alien Substance_Painter_2-2.5.3-1.el6.standard.full.x86_64.rpm --scripts

Once converted I just double clicked on the .deb file to install. The only problem I had was that Painter didn’t automatically place itself in the graphics menu. I made a launcher for it and I can run it just fine with it (I use Cinnamon). The software gets installed into /opt.

I also activated both using the “Activate using your www.allegorithmic.com account” with no problems. Now I have to see if my old GTX460 will be able to handle the software, no complaints yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey. I try to find out whats the benefit from udims. But i can t really get it too. Do you probably have an example for comparisson for uv and udim.

UDIM = multiple UVs in a grid / coordinate system

2001 2002 2003 2004 2005
1001 1002 1003 1004 1005

You can spread your UVs over more than the 0 to 1 space in your UV coordinate system, which means you can break it up and distribute per material. (one for the face, one for the shoes, one for the…).

And you can paint over multiple UDIMs when creating textures (in MARI not yet in Substance Painter).
Very useful for managing huge data-sets of textures.
There is more to it, but thats the gist of it.