The Good and the Bad -- a game about gun rights

Hi - a few days ago I published a game about gun rights in America. You can find it here:

This is only the latest version of what I wanted to express, but it all, I think it does its job. It’s an FPS about protecting innocent people from bad actors. For people outside of the United States, it’s hard to explain exactly what the point is, but hopefully it’s enough to say that there’s some controversy over the Constitutional right to own a gun. This work was made as a way to add my thoughts to the conversation. It features English text, though, so sorry if some words are hard to understand.

There are a few small issues, but nothing big. I went with prisms for people because it seemed to work, coloring them olive after exhausting other options. The minimalist look helped me focus on other parts of the game, so I’ll probably be using it again.

Attachments

“For people outside of the United States, it’s hard to explain exactly what the point is, but hopefully it’s enough to say that there’s some controversy over the Constitutional right to own a gun.” constitutional right to own a gun? wasnt it also a constitutional right to own slaves. both rights are wrong. its that easy. no guns, less killed 6 year old kids. its that easy. more good guys with guns doesnt mean security. it means more bad guys with bigger guns. and still dead six year old kids. you dont have to build a game to understand this.

Is this anti-gun propaganda?

I don’t know much about it and I didn’t read much, nor test out. However, this is a fact about US - the only reason why the government has problems taking stupid laws is because people has guns. Since guns are getting restricted, there comes more and more stupid laws(and many permissions and signs of over-liberarism) that shouldn’t exist.

Thanks! Everything but the split screen is normal.

I’ll put up an update with that fix and other small changes in a little while.

edit: Updated

Nope, never. Not in the original draft in the 1700s or even during the American civil war. It was also the 13th Amendment in the constitution that banned slavery.

Nope, no correlation there.

yes it does. Heavily armed civilians are one of the greatest deterrence to crime. Look at Chicago - nearly impossible to get a gun and it has the highest gun violence in the US.

Is this anti-gun propaganda?

no, it supports the constitutional rights of law abiding US citizens to own a weapon.

------POLITICS OVER-------- (PS-I’m a libertarian- so yeah)

the game looks interesting, and I think the use of shapes to represent humans is interesting. Also, I’m sorry if I accidentally start a political flame war on the thread for your game - that wasn’t my intention.
In closing - Nice job with your game!

People always need protection from bad acting. :wink: Whooo, go Grenzer! And right you are adriansnetlis.

Maybe another productive project would be to simulate a massacre with as many real-life options as you can (like slamming a door on the killer’s face or throwing objects at them). Get people thinking about preparing themselves. I am a little North of Umpqua Community College, UCC, in Oregon. I was at my own college when that one guy attacked UCC last Fall.

I do think using a the prisms is probably for the best for your game or any “massacre simulation” that has good intentions. Kind of like making kids invincible in Skyrim.

@grenzer “Nope, never. Not in the original draft in the 1700s or even during the American civil war. It was also the 13th Amendment in the constitution that banned slavery.” than it was a constitutional right from the uk or something similar. “no guns, less killed 6 year old kids.” “Nope, no correlation there.” you are 100% wrong. whereever privat guns are restricted there are less killed children. this is a clear and obvious correlation. we simply don´t have as much dead 6 year old kids killed with guns in germany than there are in the us. every rifle association supporter is a kid killer. “”. more good guys with guns doesnt mean security" “yes it does. Heavily armed civilians are one of the greatest deterrence to crime.” heavily armed civilians only means that the bad guys shoot without warning. if i can choose to left my wallet instead of my life, i would choose the wallet. but if a bad guy has to expect that i might shoot him down, he will shoot first. its that easy “Look at Chicago - nearly impossible to get a gun and it has the highest gun violence in the US.” look at hamburg in germany. nearly impossible to get a gun and it has nearly 0% gun violence at all. if you forbid guns the market will drain out. it will take a while and it might get worse before it gets better. but it will get better.

Hm… I agree with Genzer. Maybe it differs in different parts of worlds. In my country there are almost no guns. That makes sense why there’s not gun violence - because nor good, nor bad guys have guns.

Genzer, why’re you libertian?

In the US, the Libertarian Party is the third largest political party (though compared to the two largest ones, it’s kinda small) the motto is “Maximum freedom with minimum government”, and the party is a strong supporter of gun rights and civil freedoms. The party basically just chooses ideals from the two other major parties and wants to reduce the size of the government.
(Unfortunately I’m 1 month too young to vote this year )

whereever privat guns are restricted there are less killed children. this is a clear and obvious correlation.

Almost every shooter in recent history has targeted “gun free zones” where personal weapons are allowed. It’s a logical question - where will shooters more likely target - places where people own guns or places where guns are prohibited?

us. every rifle association supporter is a kid killer.

Im insulted by the fact you think I’m a murdering sociopath because I believe in the rights I’m granted as a citizen.

if i can choose to left my wallet instead of my life, i would choose the wallet. but if a bad guy has to expect that i might shoot him down, he will shoot first.

If a guy breaks into your house to rob you, chances are he won’t result to first degree murder. In fact, people who are completely compliant during home robberies often end up dead. If you were being robbed, would you want to be submissive and weak or fight against what is harming you?
On a slightly different topic, a friend of our family is a young woman who lives alone. A few months ago somebody broke into her house with the intent to rape or rob her. But… He ran out really quickly when she took out her gun and he saw a laser sight on his chest. She was able to call the police after he ran out, and though they didn’t find the guy (They may have at this point) nobody was hurt. Now, if she wasn’t a gun owner, how do you think this would have turned out for her?

Also, I hope GunKind (the person who started this thread) isn’t too upset when he sees we’re using it as a political battleground.

I would like to stay on topic about the game. I get annoyed when people like Conan O’brian say these are weapons of war and have no place. That is their place. 2a isn’t about personal defense. The founders thought personal defense was a no brainer. It was about keeping government in its place. So I’d say this game points out self protection as a bonus perk of the 2a.

I wanted the game to promote careful consideration and then open conversation, so I applaud everyone for sharing their thoughts!

where is “the ugly” ?
you have the good and the bad

PS. i WAS a member of the OLD NRA BEFORE the insanity is has became
SAFETY FIRST!!!
gun RESPONSIBILITY second

the current people in chared
“need to be taken out back behind the shed , and well - shot”

and there really is NO controversy it is a well armed militia
and that militia is now the National Guard + the STANDING!!! ARMY!!!

“Im insulted by the fact you think I’m a murdering sociopath because I believe in the rights I’m granted as a citizen.” oh, you shall feel insulted if you think you worthless gunrights are more worthy than a single kids life. they are not. “where will shooters more likely target - places where people own guns or places where guns are prohibited?” if there are no weapons, there are no shooters. it is that simple. every stupid in the world can understand this. on the other hand if we follow your way of thinking the logical consequence is that you have to stay awake 24/7, protect your children 24/7 heavily armed. but there is one problem: if everybody is armed, shooters will use better weapons and bodyarmor or shoot without warning. it allways happend in the history of your country and you still are not able to learn from it. there never was a time when you have been save in the us because of weapons. never. “would you want to be submissive and weak or fight against what is harming you?” there is nothing in my house that is worth giving my life for it and i am too ugly to fear beeing raped. but theres a simple solution for this problem: buy a dog. its a good friend for life, also a good burglar alarm and it will make bad guys choose your neighbours house. there allways have been robberies in the us and in germany but in germany, no burglar has to fear beeing killed therefore next to none of the victims got killed. in the us a burglar kills before he got killed. so in my country you might loose your money and maybe some of your pride. but in the us you might loose your life or even worse the lifes of your beloved. there is nothing worth risking the lifes of your beloved. not your money, not your tv-set and even not your pride. get rid of your weapons and support your government in anti gun laws. it is the only way to protect children from beeing killed. they where 6 years old. boys, who begun to play baseball with their dads. little 6 year old girls who should dream of being princessess instead of being dead. your freedom to carry guns isnt worth their lives.

Do you realize how many killings could have been prevented with more guns in circulation?
as in “if the location the killer had been in hadn’t been ‘gun free’ the killer could have been stopped”? It’s no coincidence that mass killers choose areas where people are unable to protect themselves.

Do you realize how many people can be killed in acts of violence - guns or no? Look at 9/11, the worst terrorist attack in US history - not a single firearm was used by a hijacker, but thousands of innocent people died. Banning guns will in no way prevent mass killing. If somebody wants to kill, they will.

lets hypothetically pretend that guns suddenly become illegal. Who will turn in their weapons - law abiding citizens or criminals?
Lets go fauther. Let’s pretend that all guns in the US suddenly disappear. The US - Mexican border causes thousands of illegal weapons to enter the United States every year. Mexico has some of the loosest gun laws in the world! By banning guns, you’ll not only disarm the common man, but you’ll empower criminals, particularly Weapon and Drug cartels!

As for your last claim - that no guns means no shootings - that’s completely incorrect! All modern nations have mass killings, regardless of how strict the gun laws there are. In fact - you’ll often find that countries that completely ban guns typically have governments that have no regard for human rights, like the former USSR.

Norway, where guns are heavily regulated and Assault weapons are banned - A shooter went on a rampage that killed 80 people. Strange, assault weapons are banned there, but he still used one.

In Germany 7 years ago, a teenager killed 15 people, even though it was illegal for him to own a gun. He didn’t care.

In short - the criminals who plan mass killings really don’t care about the law.

If you look at countries where it is 100% illegal to own a weapon (that doesn’t include most countries - you CAN posses a personal weapon in Germany ) they typically have poor track records on human rights (Examples: NK and China)

When dictators rise to power, one of the first things they do is ban guns to have a weaker civil populace that they can more easily manipulate. Stalin was quoted saying that in order to conquer a country, disarm the people.

people

you do realize that only about 8% are the “nuts” and there is no reasoning with that group

the rest the 92% we are very REASONABLE

this is like when my EX is off her meds ( yes she is certifiable and has been locked up )

there is no reasoning with her in that state

the EXTREME points of view are like that

ignore them and GET them out of power

Edit: Germany just had a guy shoot up a cinema or something. I see 20-50 injured floating around.

Places in the U.S. that have the highest violent crime are the places with the most gun restrictions. If you want to be raped, murdered or robbed, go to Chicago. No one should care about what their chances of being killed with a gun are, you should care about what your chances of being murdered are PERIOD. If a drug dealer doesn’t get to shoot his rivals with an AK-47, then they will just use a large knife to murder them.

It has been proven that people that are more intelligent have a higher accuracy with guns… so over time at least we know the smarter people will win out. If everyone has to defend themselves with knives or swords then guess who wins out over time? Stronger more violent MEN who can overtake the weak.

Stronger gun laws does not equal fewer killings. It just takes guns away from the good guys. Is meth illegal in the US? Yes, but that doesn’t stop people from dealing and using it. Gun laws can’t get rid of guns, and they definitely can’t get rid of violent murder.