Brooklyn Interior

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share with you my latest project done in Blender. It’s an interior scene I worked on in my free time for the past week where I tried to stress the Cycles a bit more and see the results.

The pictures took from 3:30 to 4:30 render time on a single Titan X (which I thought would preform a bit better) for 4000 samples (except of top view which took 2000 samples). I wasn’t using the denoise branch from lucas yet or any other walkarounds, just a standard Blender build and PT with some tweaks. Memory usage was kept below 4GB.

The pictures were saved as 32bit exr’s and later color corrected in Photoshop. I was also using direct and indirect glossy passes for enhancing the illumination and reflections.

For full resolution just open the pictures in a new browser tab.

All of the assets used for creating the interior are my chocofur models, simply appended to the scene without any modifications. If anyone would be interested in getting these or the scene itself they can be found here.

I hope you like it and I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Attachments

It looks amazing. Though, I kinda feel bad that you placed the plants almost touching the radiator. That would kill them.

The greenery looks amazing! I am definitely going to buy them when I need them. In fact, I really consider buying the life time bundle - it is a great deal!

The render looks so good! Just the pure white window may not be the best option in there IMO.

Few questions from me for curious if you would like to share with

1, How did you choose to set up the sample for the render? There doesn’t look any different between 2000 and 4000 sample just from my laptop. Maybe if you print them out there will see the different.

2, If you didn’t use the denies branch then how did you control the noise? Just increase the sample will be ok? But that would cost too much time.

Nice job man! 5 Stars from me :slight_smile:

good work:)

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your comments!

@maraCZ: I really appreciate it and promise to keep up the good work with my store :slight_smile:

@congcong009: as for your first question - 2000 samples were enough for the top view as there weren’t many deep shadow areas which usually need more “cleaning”. As for the second - I actually had very different noise results with 4000 samples, depending on the setup I’ve tried. I think the most important trick I used was disabling the window glass model from all the passes except Camera and Glossy. It’s a bit strange as the applied glass shader also had all the passes disabled. It seems that Cycles generates more noise with light passing through the geometry with transparent shader, than when the object is “disabled” to certain passes through the geometry settings. I was also testing different Clamp settings and GI bounces to achieve reasonable time / quality / noise balance.

@lechu thanks mate! I agree the refraction as well as transparent node will always be the key to generate noise even when you set up the node and you can see it from preview window.

You said the trick of disable the glossy pass for the window but I could hardly see the details from the pure white area. But I know you have added many mesh in there. How much time of doing that to save your render?

For me I always try 500 samples and it works for me for fine quality. It may not make too much improvement with over 1000 sample if there are really few transparent objects. But clamp and bounces will contribute more.

Hey, Lech.

This is undeniably one of the best interior archi renders I’ve seen here. Those plants look very realistic! :slight_smile:

I’m hoping to see more like this from you soon.

Reyn

Wow, I think this is one, if not the, most realistic archiviz I’ve seen done with cycles, well done! I don’t know if I ask too much, but it would be very interesting to know the process you use with the indirects passes to tweak the lighting! :slight_smile:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful lighting! I’m still amazed. Congratulations! The plants shading is one of the most realistic I’ve ever seen.
One question, as I’m curious: do you think is better to save the pictures in 32bit than in 16? I use to save my pictures in 16 bit TIFF with no compression and then I tweak them using Photoshop. When I save them as EXR I see too much bright in them. Does it worth, for you? Do you really achieve different results than saving in 16bit? As I told you, I’m curious with that issue, as I try to care a lot with lighting and color in my images.

Thank you, congratulations again, both for your excelent work and your top row. And have a nice day!

Pretty stunning work,

I am curious if you could show the raw rendering to compare to the steps done in PSD.

Wow… The plants here make the scene for sure! I want to buy the plants, just to attempt to remake them :stuck_out_tongue:

God damn, this looks fantsastic. I hope to be as good with materials as you eventually. Also, is chocofur your website?

woohhaaa cool renders…

The images look absolutely fantastic! The plants are so realistic.

Don’t mean to spoil the positive mood, but man, what’s up with the aliasing around the wood log and the cylinders near the couch? No idea how it got there but it seems quite fixable in post.

Still in good shape, or even better. Very nice renders

Great as always :slight_smile:
I knew your models are very good, but working like this out of the box is an achievement on its own.

Impressive! Also, great to see that there are great arch-viz images done without octane, etc.

Great work !
Tests with the Denoise-Branch would be interesting :wink:

Hey everyone and first of all, thank you BA team for featuring my project in the Forum Galery. It’s a real honor :slight_smile:

@reynante: thanks a lot mate, I’ll do my best to deliver more projects like this one (or better)!

@Bernardo: I’ll be covering the general post processing techniques in one of the tutorials at chocofur.com. I just feel totally wrong not having more time to finalize and publish them as there are almost finished.

@Mr. Chuan: I save some of my renderings to 32 bits as it allows me to fine tune the highlight areas and general gamma/brightness while merging to 16 bits. I sometimes save multiple renderings in 16 bits with different exposures (and then merge them manually, masking the highlight/shadow areas just like with traditional photography) but saving to 32 bits makes this process way quicker.

@cekuhnen: I’ll either cover the techniques in tutorial or just drop a gif sequence later in the thread.

@Joey Blendhead: thanks!!

@keseyrage: chocofur is doing great, I’m really happy to work on this website/project and I really look forward to delivering more and more Blender stuff!

@Nita: thank you!

@ToshiCG: thanks for pointing that out. The delicate noise comes from the glossy passes as they included few nasty fireflies on the edges. I wanted to remove them but since I’m also sharing the scene though the store, I decided to leave the passes raw. You’re absolutely right it can be fixed - even by hand painting the pixels over.

@KRUChY: thanks!

@andy_a: thanks, I’m actually quite surprised the models work really out of the box. When you create studio render you always expect some shader adjustments to be done depending on the scene, but well, not with chocofur :wink: (at least in most cases).

@dimitarsp: I’m also happy that I was able to achieve this level of quality in pure Cycles, without any additions.

@Alain: thanks, I’ll definitely give it a try once it’s in the trunk (or perhaps earlier). I’ll post my results in this thread.