Making a game in unity, modeling in blender.

I may need a link or something along those lines that I can read up on how these two systems work. But my main question is this. When I render something in blender, is this what its going to look like if I export it to unity? I know its a very basic question but I’m confused on how that all works. Thank you in advance.

When you export a Blend file to Unity (works under the hood using FBX export), Unity reads the mesh data, armature, shape keys, animation key frames and curves, UV maps, and material maps. Material maps determine which vertices are assigned to which materials. Unity does NOT see the materials nor shaders from Blender. It only sees the material maps, and generates new materials with identical names. You’ll have to export the textures separately as well (Pack and unpack textures to do it quickly). Substance Player is the only tool with a 1to1 with Unity’s PBR shaders.

If I lost you, just let me know, and I can break it down more.

@ChalkDust - this YT vid might be helpful. It was for me.

Yeah, I’ll typically set a viewport to texture to make sure I’ve got the UVs in Blender right, and then create materials in Unity separately using the same texture.

Make sure you have GLSL turned on in your view port, then most of the stuff will be pretty close to what you see in textured mode.

Also, the procedural things like clouds and noise, and wood, do not port over. Good news is that you can “Bake” them to a texture, if you have UV mapped your model.

Almost 80% of my texturing work is done with baking. You can bake normal maps, and displacment maps too :smiley:

@Voxi 3D - Do you know how to bake only a specific set of nodes? I often have a set of nodes that I actually want to bake to set up for Unity, but then more nodes down the render chain which I use for advanced visualization in Cycles, often for promotional art, menu screens, or references for setting up materials and shaders in Unity.