A question about ms dos screen

Hello, Ive been using blender 2.36 for some time. On running the program, the msdos screen gives me a message : installed python not found… some scripts may not run…continuing happily.

They may not be the exact words used, but its something like that.
What does this mean?
Is it a problem? …and if so, how can I fix it?

Exactly what it says: it couldn’t find Python installed. Read here what Python is:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40526

It also says you can run Blender just fine without Python installed, but some scripts may not run. Those would be downloaded scripts, because I think the scripts included with Blender can run without Python installed.

To “solve” this “problem”, download Python. Version 2.4x won’t work; Blender only works with 2.3x.

Thanks for that, Ive just downloaded python 2.3.5 or so, as I read that it works with blender 2.3 version and not 2.4.
There was something about me having to set the python path in blender or so to the right path.
Do you know anything about that? Anybody?

eh?

Think of it this way. Python is not based around Blender, Blender is based around Python. So If you you install python, how will Blender know where it is? Blender doesn’t automatically look for the nearest Python folder, it doesn’t know it exists (like a sad romance novel)

There’s a sticky in the Python and Plugins "How to set your Python path 101, but the 1st page is quite old. You should still be able to work it out though

2.3.5 is the right version.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7723

Read Enzoblue’s post. You don’t have to install it in C:, because Program Files or any other folder will do just fine.

BTW, if Blender doesn’t give the “error” anymore, it has detected Python. You can try the system check too; Help (in the top header) -> System -> System Information.

Thanks guys. Ive another little problem, you see, I use blender 2.36, a long time ago, roughly 2 years, I bought the gamekit book and cd ( when it was blender 2.24 or so.

Ive been going through the tutorials, (eg, TubeCleaner)which work fine, the only thing is that whenever I try to save my work(save as), it dosent allow it.
Is it impossible for version 2.3 to create any blender file from a lower version (cd) of blender?
Is there a way around it? Or is there something Im doing wrong?

Blender should be backwards compatible, but it is a very big version difference… Maybe because the files of the old version were made with Game Blender…? Please post the error you got when you were trying to save it.
Can’t you just work with the old files in the old version of Blender?

Hmm, this might sound silly, but I have seen this over and over again with several other programs:
Are you sure you are not trying to save the file on the CD? CD’s are read only.
Also, if you copied the .blend files from the CD to the harddisk, did you make sure that the copied files are not marked as read only? when you copy files from a CD to an harddisk folder these are usually copied over as read only under Win32.

The tutorials on the gamekit cd are designed in a way that any user, has to follow the instructions, step by step .Saving is needed if you want to take a break, etc. With the first tute, with the pumpkin (pumpkinrun), all went well, and I was able to save.
I was always doing a save as, and changing the file name, naturally, but it just wouldnt work with the tube cleaner tute.Note, however, Ive still not as at this point, installed python, I must say. Ill give it a go and let you know the results.
I did consider changing to an earlier version of blender, but was a bit reserved, as years ago earlier copies tended to crash constantly on my pc (Ive since upgraded from windows ME to XP though).
Initially, I was thinking that the inability to save was a clever way of blender forcing a person to learn all of the steps, as everytime you logged off, you would hav to start from scratch the next time you revisited.(untill the tute advised me to make a save, and the same thing happened)

Hey, wait a second, Ive just figured out what Ive been doing wrong. All I needed to do was to make sure that I had pre-created the file that I wanted to save to, and then saving would be possible.
Its funny because it seems that with blender, you cant just create a file and save in one go with the save as option, just like any other program.
Even after 2 years, Im ashamed to say Ive still not come to grips with blenders ways!

Does blender 2.24 let you save the tube cleaner?
Or is it a protected file? I’m not sure anymore if we locked the games with the content key.
Python has got nothing todo with it. And none of the game kit content needs a full python install.