Deformity and Armature Problems

Hello everyone!

This my DAY 2 of my Blender experiment! First time ever haha.

I’ve had no trouble creating armatures and adding the mesh deformer to the tail of my shark. It wiggles as I want it to
Unfortunately, I am having a difficult time rigging the head of the shark (so as to have the mouth open and close).

Maybe I missed something… ? If anyone could take a look at the attached file and tell me what I could do to fix it, that would be really appreciated!!

Thanks guys.
Joey

Attachments

Shark_Head.blend (1.09 MB)

Hello,
For DAY 2 it’s promising :slight_smile:
The mesh deform modifier is cool for global moves like the body or the tail , but for the jaw it will tend to create a too broad deformation …

So you have two option here :
1/ skin your mesh without mesh deform and weight paint the shark directly. Personally I found mesh deform very useful when there is too much detail / objects to skin that need to act together, if not I try to avoid it…

2/ use a combination of mesh deform for the body, and armature deform for the tinier parts like the jaw. You can use a vertex group to isolate what is deformed by the meshdeform and what is deformed by the armature. That’s a bit trickyer than the solution 1 , but you get the best of both worlds.

Also I’m not sure about the position of the Jaw bone , have you looked at anatomical references ? but that’s another issue…

good luck with all that, and happy blending :slight_smile:

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”