Blender to Unity - wrong version??

I placed a .blend in my Unity asset folder. I get this message…

Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
You need to use Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later versions for direct Blender import to work.

I’m using Blender 2.71. ??

I’m getting the same error on my desktop. But it still works fine on my laptop, so I’ve been trying to compare the difference.

For me it’s actually 2.77 that doesn’t work and 2.74 that does? But maybe there’s really some sort of setting I’m overlooking.

Unity is 5.3.4f1 on laptop and 5.3.5f1 on desktop. Maybe that makes the difference?

The other thing I can think to consider is the FBX import/export add-on, but I copied everything from the the C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx folder over from the laptop and that didn’t change it.

Maybe I should try reverting either Blender or Unity to the older version?

Okay, I’ve found discussion of similar problem on the Unity forums.
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/blender-could-not-convert-blend-to-fbx-5-4-0b15.398654/
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/blender-2-71-blend-to-unity-broken.254632/

Some people reporting certain versions of Unity working, but that might be coincidence? Some other people somehow blaming Visual C++ but I don’t know what I would do to address that.

Thx, rrh. Maybe I should give 2.77 a try.

Like I said, for me 2.77 isn’t working but 2.74 is. But it might be a coincidence that comes from something else changing.

@rrh - kk, I’ll jump to 2.74 next and see how that build behaves w/ Unity.

thx again, Buddy. =]

Okay, on my desktop I did revert to 2.74 and it worked. I guess I’ll just put off upgrading until I hear this is worked out.

I just tried again using 2.77. I get the same error msg. =[

Hi, I found this thread when looking for a solution to the same problem with Blender 2.78 and Unity 5.6.0. That setup works for two people on the team, but one person is getting the same error as the OP. Was rolling back the answer, or was there something else?

I think I just stopped putting the .blend in that folder. =[

Thanks for the quick update. We didn’t have that option, sadly. Thankfully, rolling back to 2.74 ended up working. The weird thing was that 2.78 was previously working for that artist. The only change made to the system was to install a couple of games.

I love Blender but it can be flakey. Good luck with your project.

2.74 For The WIN!