Odd underground concept art scene

Hey everyone,

I’m rather new to Blender, so I’ve been hesitating a bit when it came to posting something to receive constructive criticism.
I try to do concept art in my free time so I decided to post this odd underground scene I made as a first real practice piece. Everything is modelled in Blender in which the wall and floor have displacement maps to achieve better lighting reflections.
It was rendered in Cylces with a 100 samples and the attachment piece resolution is lowered for quicker loading time.

Just the graphiti and some decals on the wall have been added later.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

I made another view render and added some more decals. The checkered mozaics were just too big before so I made them much smaller…

Tried another point of view…

How did you get the cords to snake across the ground like that?

How did you get the cords to snake across the ground like that?

They’re just simple bezier curves with a small circle that defines the bevel shape… With an added black color diffuse shader. Simple as pie.

If it helps… :slight_smile:

And this is the final version …

So where is all the other light in here coming from? It’s very flat and even and there is no obvious source of it. I think you’ll find the image is a lot more interesting if the fill lighting is very obviously directional, like a floodlight at one end of the hallway.

For that matter, why is the camera located where it is? The only perspective I can think of that would be there is a security camera, but the quality and aspect ratio don’t suggest that.

So where is all the other light in here coming from? It’s very flat and even and there is no obvious source of it. I think you’ll find the image is a lot more interesting if the fill lighting is very obviously directional, like a floodlight at one end of the hallway.

I tryed to darken the part around the reflectors on the floor, but I still wanted the details to be as visible as possible. Of course the main focus is on the part around the blood splatter.
The room is opened so there is some light coming from the enviroment because it’s not closed with four walls and a ceiling. The only other source of light is the emergency exit sign which has a diffuse shader mixed with an emission shader, but it doesn’t have significant effect on the overall scene.

For that matter, why is the camera located where it is? The only perspective I can think of that would be there is a security camera, but the quality and aspect ratio don’t suggest that.

Nothing worked for me. It seemed even more flat without a dimensional effect.

I agree with J. The image suffers from being shot from this angle and it just looks dark and dreary instead of creepy. One thing that’s happening is that since Fresnel shows more reflection at glancing angles, having your camera so flat to the main planes is actually reducing the reflective. So I think the main issue here is one of composition. I would place the camera lower to the ground and angled up toward the blood stain. I know you want the viewer to see all the texture work you’ve done but I don’t think it’s serving any purpose having both lights on the subject. I would get rid of any environment light you have, move one of the lights back quite a bit and at an angle as if it’s lighting the main scene of the crime and then leave the other light to brighten up the spot on the wall. It’s always nice in scenes like this to see shadows stretching across surfaces so Maybe move the items on the floor to be in the way of the main flood light in order to cast some shadows on the scene. Keep in mind that for the horror genre, the less you see of what is actually scary, the more scary it actually is.

this is nice it,s an awesome view, though ,from the name i thought it,s going to be something more odd like a demonic thing odd or a ground worshiping thing odd like feet worshiping and that, XD
the render is nice and awesome but i think the environment light is a little bit high . it doesn’t look like if it is underground , i think it should be more darker or something , other than that it,s awesomely cool

I would get rid of any environment light you have, move one of the lights back quite a bit and at an angle as if it’s lighting the main scene of the crime and then leave the other light to brighten up the spot on the wall. It’s always nice in scenes like this to see shadows stretching across surfaces so Maybe move the items on the floor to be in the way of the main flood light in order to cast some shadows on the scene. Keep in mind that for the horror genre, the less you see of what is actually scary, the more scary it actually is.

That might turn out good, so thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a go as soon as I assemble my new PC :slight_smile: My old workstation died on me a few days ago :no:

it doesn’t look like if it is underground , i think it should be more darker or something , other than that it,s awesomely cool

Thanks, I’ll make some tweaks and post another render as soon as possible :slight_smile:

@Indy_logic I figure this was what you meant before? Sorry for the grainy preview, I just made a quick print screen just so you can see the new composition and view …

I added the stains in postpro, the only problem I’m having with this viewpoint is, that the yellow slingshot is not recognizable from this angle (I guess that’s why I chose the previous view angle), which is one of the most important details for me. Maybe I should rotate it a bit and lean it on the wall so its basic shape is more visible?

Yeah, kind of like that. I think it already looks much better. However, I would move in a lot closer, have the light on the left pointing at the blood too , move the light on the right so that it’s not obscuring the bucket and direct it more upward so that it’s hotspot is right on the blood.

About the slingshot: To me honest, I didn’t notice that it was a slingshot (or even important) before either. Some times at crime scenes, they put little evidence makers by the object of interest. That would draw your eye to it.

I mean, I’m assuming it’s a crime scene.

@Indy_logic

Thanks for the quick reply. There is a marker next to the slingshot with a question mark on it. Though it’s not that visible due to weird reflections on it…

It took me a while to build a new station due to some delays with the components. But that’s all in the past, and I’m able to continue with my work.
I took some of the advice given and played around with different view angles. I also rearranged the objects a bit and hid the unnecessary decals in the shadowy background (graphiti) so they don’t burst out in the front too much. I also added a touch of blueish ambi light on the sides so it breaks the whole warmth made by the brown and similair colors. I think it turned out much better.

Yeah I agree, that looks much better. :slight_smile:

One last comment is that the evidence marker could be more yellow so that it stands out more. Maybe some SSS or translucency so that the light gets carried through the plastic better. It might also work better is it was facing us more.

@Indy_logic

Thanks for the critique, I’m really happy with the outcome. I’ll post another concept soon :wink: