BGMC 21 | Basement Dweller

A little adventure about a guy in a basement

The main puzzle is a bit nerdy, so if you need help there’s a cheatsheet in the zip.

Works on Blender 2.76 - 2.77

EDIT
I guess the cheatsheet was saved with unix line endings, and Windows notepad doesn’t like that. Use wordpad (or any other text editor) instead.

this game lead me to the fact “it’s been a long time since I ever used the main Enter key :slight_smile: rather than the one in the numpad”

Great game. 10/10, would roll out of bed again…

Open it up, go to the computer, don’t know the user or password but get it first guess. Type ‘ls’ it works. Type ‘dir’. Aha, it’s a linux shell, whew.

A few seconds later

lpr ~/Documents/resume.txt
"Paths not supported"

Aww.

I did it without the cheat sheet. That must mark me as some sort of nerd. I just wish it was longer.
I love the printer sound.
I approve of the fact that you can cd back to / (which is depressingly empty) and /home. I desparately looked for another user. I also tried logging in as root/root. So many future possibilities.

One critique is when giving the character a plcae to move to, I keep assuming the click is at mid-body level rather than floor level, so he often ends slightly higher than I expected.

innovative look. i like it.

Great game. :slight_smile:
Quite short, but a really nice idea. It would be good to have mouseover hints in a longer version of the game so you know what you’re trying to click on.

I didn’t get any bugs.

Nice , i liked the simplicity.It was short but felt realy polished, Im gona have a look at the code later to figure out some stuff. Would not have got anywhere without the cheat sheet and even with it got lost :stuck_out_tongue: . Thought u had forgot to put in a secret suzane but then it found it ;p

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

One of my deep regrets was not fleshing out the filesystem. Also wanted to include the entire BSD fortune cookie database, but laziness kicked in too soon.

One critique is when giving the character a plcae to move to, I keep assuming the click is at mid-body level rather than floor level, so he often ends slightly higher than I expected.

Did not even notice. Now I can’t un-see

Woohoo!

That is a really good idea. Wish I had thought of that.

Very sneaky… hehe

Man, you made me laugh. Thanks.

Cool little game! I thought it was funny that the little guys fall out of bed before he wakes up. :wink:

11/10!
I love it, I think you automatically sealed in a vote from any linux users playing :wink:
I only wish it was longer.

One question, is the secret Suzanne the one

SPOILER
Don't scroll if you don't want to be potentially spoiled.

Shown when running the command?
If so, I kinda wish it was harder to find.. (i.e. not listed by help)

Great Easter-egg regardless! Suzanne + linux = win.

That’s the one! Guess I’ll have to be more sneaky next time hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Just started working with linux terminal recently, this was great :smiley:

nice work man i really like how it look,s :slight_smile:

In computer type in help. No cheat sheet needed;)

Very cool game. I’d like to extend it a bit:)

Here comes a review on Basement Dweller:

Thanks for the review! I really like how they are structured

• The [] thing in computer input is totally a bug. Hopefully it didn’t break the game. It’s supposed to work in the embedded player but I didn’t test all operating systems / blender versions.

• The lack of sound hurt me deeply. An ambient track would have worked wonders, but alas, I simply could not find the right one.

• I may have fallen asleep halfway through the competition, hence explaining the unnatural shortness.

• The cryptic puzzle - in all its horrific glory - was completely intentional. No regrets. Well, some regrets.

I would like to take a moment and apologize to everyone who may have suffered from the alarm clock. It was a great pain to include and I still cringe every time.

Very beautiful