Any non-intrusive free antivirus

i was using avg free,the recent update added another program without asking(zen device protection).so,i would like to try another free antivirus with provision for manual update(of virus database.)- i should be able to disable auto update features.

Why would you not want the antivirus to auto-update its database?

Every day sees the release of new viruses and other forms of malware, and you cannot be sure that the virus trying to infect your machine is an older one (so if you updated your AV’s database 2 days ago and you get a virus unleashed yesterday, you’re out of luck).

Comodo
Available for Windows and Linux https://antivirus.comodo.com/free-antivirus.php

There is no such thing as a non-intrusive antivirus by the nature of the beast. It should be, because it controls your OS and you, it has most privileges amongst all and should be smarter and trickier than viruses it kills. It is a virus.
[SUB]If the developers will decide your C drive should be formatted due to threat contained it will be no matter what (you have read tiny letters on EULA, have you? :wink: ). All your files are accounted for and content scrutinized several times a day, at the moments you open or close them on top. What’s found and reported online is closed/encrypted. If there is a third party mentioned somewhere between the lines you’ll get goodies from them too.[/SUB]

To be fair, you probably have clicked on some intricate Yes button when you got that Zen-something.

[sub]On my experiences ‘free stuff’ successfully deleted without a trace some quite ‘powerful’ .bat file i had spent a day to write (file was renamed to .txt, btw), reported that i have some kind of USB ‘autoplay’ malware which FAV was not able to get rid of despite it being just a couple of registry lines and one file to rename/delete after, plus, did not say anything against HD encryptor clone on another pc. Of course FAV was updated, set to work behind the scenes and use it’s ‘powerful’ heuristics. Guess it was kept busy at reading e-mails and showing popups.[/sub]

I’d say read agreements, specs and spend some money on a product you choose, free stuff does not work for what it is intended to on a most occasions. Then again, from what’s on the webs, free is even more aggressive to finding malware/viruses on your pc, they do not say ‘protecting’ clearly though.
But what can i know, i use Linux and archaic XP…No av at all :p.

thanks Drawingisdead.to Acedragon,Eppo,i have been using AVG free for 8+ years.i have my reasons for wanting an Av soft with above features.no need to explain basics to me.

the trend in “free to use” ??? and that is questionable

is on demand only – you PAY for active scanning

even "spy bot search and destroy "
the PREMIER program SOLD OUT

why take all the “free to use” ( with SPYING ) anti-virus programs

there is and has been around for a VERY LONG time “ClamAV”
it is under the GPL license , and it also runs on windows

I’d say read agreements, specs and spend some money on a product you choose, free stuff does not work for what it is intended to on a most occasions.

that is true for the CLOSED source "free to use " for basic

but is NOT true for GPL’ed software

clamav has found things that both Norton and McAfee missed

Hi JohnVV,i am not sure clamav offers realtime protection when browsing etc.

Nope, it does not.
You’d need your own proxy server for that, first. Apache, nginx… And a good content filter on that proxy too.
Reliable firewall you can control incoming AND outgoing traffic at all times. One which would not allow to download executables without your consent (if some slipped-in malware decides on updating itself). Each on it’s own pc for the peace of the mind. Updated, maintained regularly.

I’m mystified as to how a GPL AV program can work, as any hacker can just download a copy of the sourcecode and learn how to circumvent the software or even disable it (no matter how much security they add).

It’d be like if someone built a safe and shipped it with a blueprint showing (in detail) how the security features work (so as to make it easy to crack).

Clam is controlling content of the downloaded information (emails as a target, mostly) by comparing it to the known ‘fingerprints’ of already discovered malware. There is no magic to this and so called ‘zero day’ code will get through, no doubt.
Thing is, while proprietary stuff is a black box containing development errors viruses use, in GPLed code such errors sooner or later are discovered not only by black hats but by a good guys too. While for the corporate, closed code you’re left with a limited workforce to fix discovered errors for the open code there’s thousands being able to offer patches.
Some do.
If blueprints show efforts needed overweight gains plans usually change ;).

Give Avast a try. It runs light, we like that, and you can update all your apps right in the program, Flash, etc.

It now seems like Windows 10 users have problems with Avast right now which is a damn shame since it ran light.

aaaaaaaaaa