Smooth shading or flat shading for this 2D character?

I can’t choose

Do you mean 3D? Most of the time I would recommend smoothing characters that have more depth than two dimensions. I will still recommend it being smooth if it is going to be rendered with toon shading.

At this level of detail, it looks better without the smoothing. With the smoothing, you start to introduce distracting shading artifacts. For example, look at the hands and feet in both images.

I would go with the smoothing. However this is only my subjective opinion; I simply think it looks better

Honestly? I would spend much more time on making the character and then go with the smooth shading no doubt.

Well yes, but this character is for a game I’m working on meaning everything’s gotta be low poly, as the game takes place in a large gta style city with ai people and destructable buildings

I will still recommend it being smooth if it is going to be rendered with toon shading.

Those could be inconsistent normals or some kind of other artifact.

I didn’t think about the normals before but DCBloodHound is right. The artifacts could be in the normals of the mesh or in other words the facing of the mesh. Select the character and go into edit mode. Select all verts by pressing A. Once all are selected then press CTRL+N and the normals will be corrected. If this doesn’t change then you may have double verts. You would just need to remove doubles if this is the case.